1.    #1  
    Gizmodo - Apple Patent Describes Mid-Call Music, Video, Picture Sharing for iPhone - Apple media sharing patent

This is what an IM programme can do - yet when Apple does it - its never been done before.

Sometimes I think there are just too many sheep who will go where they are ordered.
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post
    Gizmodo - Apple Patent Describes Mid-Call Music, Video, Picture Sharing for iPhone - Apple media sharing patent

This is what an IM programme can do - yet when Apple does it - its never been done before.

Sometimes I think there are just too many sheep who will go where they are ordered.
    IM being Instant Media, not instant messaging.
    I dont even see the big deal? Its not revolutionary at all. Now "true" VOIP(Voice Over IP) on a cell will be revolutionary. And from a small insider scoop, ok myself, I know that Sprint is working on possibly adapting to that....maybe on the 4G network...but you can take that with a grain of salt.

If you can run VOIP over your phone, it would make Apple's revolutionary idea, look like a kids toy.
    Apple makes well thought out easy to use products - several years after everyone else has.

I see no difference here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Apple makes well thought out easy to use products - several years after everyone else has.

Exactly, Apple doesnt do revolutionary. They look for markets and opportunities where there is a lot of demand but no simple, easy to use solution and then fill that niche.
  6.    #6  
    That's my point but reading some of the comments on Gizmodo it was like this had never been done before.

Also the fact that you can get a patent for this is also reflects that there are just too many poorly granted patents.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    Exactly, Apple doesnt do revolutionary. They look for markets and opportunities where there is a lot of demand but no simple, easy to use solution and then fill that niche.
    And they make things easy by limiting them. Jerry Pournelle is fond of quoting a friend of his who said about Apple (and I paraphrase): "It's either easy to do, or impossible." No middle ground, which is one of the reasons why I don't like OS X and why I have no interest in getting an iPhone.

Now, I hate to say this, but it seems like Palm's taking this same tack, so far at least. I really do hope they open things up, and soon.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    I have an iPhone friend who was bragging to me about the upcoming picture mail and video recording ability and had to tell him that my 2004 junkphone did all that already.

This is a bit of a rant but I'm always amazed whenever Apple gets a patent awarded because it's ALWAYS something that you've seen before. Scroll wheels (like on dads 70's stereo), Center Screen Vid Cams (every 50's sci-fi movie), Multi Touch etc. Patenting obvious ideas just makes life tough for everyone else.
  9.    #9  
    I think Apple Patents are weak because the Patent system in the US is weak. That's why Palm were not threatened with a law suit for their multi-touch.

Alot of Palm guys are ex Apple guys so they would know the culture at Apple. Also these patents are publicly available - I am sure that there is a way to work around the patents.

Why anyone else has not done it - I just think other companies don't have the chonies to stand up to Apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post

Yep, your right. Apple calls everything they do revolutionary. It is just a play on words. Although, their "well thought out" products tend to have MAJOR defects like my MBP.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.