Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I don't currently have a smartphone.

My contacts and calendar are Windows (but NOT Outlook) on a laptop. My e-mail provider is Comcast, although I don't really use its address book.

What should I be doing to prepare? I want everything to be on the laptop AND in my Pre.

Do I HAVE to open a Gmail account and have all my Comcast e-mails forwarded to it? I always thought there were privacy issues with G-mail.

Does Google have contacts and calendars that I need to start using, or will I be able to synch directly with Windows (again, not Outlook). It it's the former, are there privacy issues there too?

New to this, so thanks in advance.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    What do you mean you use Windows for your calendar? What is the actual name of the application? Google is the one-stop place to get up and running on the Pre and it's all free. You can create an account with your current email address and use the calendar and contacts and those will sync in the cloud with the Pre. You don't have to change your email address, what you have should work.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    It's called Windows Calendar.
    If you have your laptop normally connected to the Internet, you could put all your calendar events in Google Calendar. That is probably the easiest way to sync your appointments with the Pre. You can do the same with your Contacts information.

I'm currently using Outlook on my home PC and I've been exploring different options for making my calendar schedule available on a Pre. One solution I've found, is to use a background utility that syncs my Outlook events to Google Calendar. So, I'm either going to use that approach or just use Google Calendar directly.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Yes, I know I don't have Outlook becaue I recently left a job and the IT department downloaded all my contacts and calendar appointments onto my laptop. I remember the IT woman saying that while I had Outlook at work I didn't have it on my laptop.

So there's no privacy concerns using Google Calendar?
    If you mean, is anything on the Internet ever completely perfectly 100% safe from intrusion, the answer to that is no, so then yes, there are privacy concerns.

If you mean are people at Google peeping at your calendar for nefarious purposes, I really wouldn't worry about it.
    Palm Pilot --> Palm M130 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 650 --> Palm Centro --> PALM PRE!