Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was just reading the review at palminfocenter: Palm Pre Review and it mentions that tethering is NOT possible with the PRE?! Seriously?! That's been possible with every Treo since the 600! WTF is Palm thinking? I had every intention of getting a PRE this weekend...but that would be a deal killer for me, if it's true. Someone tell me it's not true...please?
    Last edited by palandri; 06/05/2009 at 01:29 PM. Reason: corrected title
    Dave
    Sprint Pre User Who LOVED his Pre but left for a more supported phone (EVO Shift)...maybe one day Sprint & HP will see the light and bring us a great 4g capable Pre replacement!
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    it only worked on Treos with a hack or a 3rd party app. Same is true for the Pre. We'll just have to wait for somebody to deliver one of those.
    I don't know about teathering, but I know tethering support was pulled. Sorry, couldn't resist.

No doubt something will evolve eventually, be it in the form of an app in the store, or a hack of some kind that enables the feature disabled a few months ago.

It's one of the things that's tearing me to pieces; whether to ditch the functionality and ease-of-use of WMWifirouter and the WM camp, or get the device I really want but abandon the ability to tether.
    Palm III -> Visor Prism -> Dell Axim X30 Hi -> HTC Apache -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch Pro

Ev-Do Rev. A Tethered on my TP:
    Tethering is possible but only if Sprint allows it. So it isnt really a "palm-issue".
    You seriously just assumed Tethering would be possible out of the box after all this time? I guess you didn't stay all that 'informed' the past 6 months.
  6.    #6  
    Nope, I guess not...yeah, I ASSUMED that it would be possible...and that's a deal killer for me. Maybe once its available and tested...then I can gt a PRE, but not now. Damn! I erally wanted one. Guess I'll get the HTC Pro...first time I will be without a Palm product since the Treo 600 first came out.
    Dave
    Sprint Pre User Who LOVED his Pre but left for a more supported phone (EVO Shift)...maybe one day Sprint & HP will see the light and bring us a great 4g capable Pre replacement!
    June Fabrics responded, posted in another thread that they hope to have PDANet 'soon' for Pre but I don't see how that's possible unless they get low level access in the SDK.

PDANet for PalmOS running under the Classic emulator might work but I don't know if the emulator gives access to USB. Word is the emulator does not support bluetooth.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
  8.    #8  
    Well, hopefully somebody will be able to get it working. As soon as I see it confirmed, I will be getting a PRE...but not until then.
    Dave
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    My understanding is that the modem ability is available on the Pre, but Sprint is not offering the option for it. So I have been under the assumption that it will just take a 3rd party developer to make an app that enables it work.
    Love your photo Storm....clearly out on the Chesapeake. What an area, fell in love with Baltimore/Annapolis when visiting DC a couple years back. Dinner at Maria's, time on the water...a few spots of rum.
    The Pre, like the iPhone, is capable of tethering. But Sprint, like AT&T, is not allowing Phone As Modem plans to be activated.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    The core OS is linux here. It is more than possible to tether on this device, so the OP's thread title is just plain wrong.

Software needs to be built that makes it happen though, and SDK or not, I suspect code will show up relatively soon to make this happen.

I don't understand why Sprint isn't supporting this on day one, but this market demand will be met.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    The Pre, like the iPhone, is capable of tethering. But Sprint, like AT&T, is not allowing Phone As Modem plans to be activated.
    You are very mistaken. Did you read what the reviews have said?

The point is that 99% of Sprint smartphones do this easily and Pre is the first one where it has been shut down.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    The core OS is linux here. It is more than possible to tether on this device, so the OP's thread title is just plain wrong.
    The OP's thread title is right. I think you misunderstand what you need an sdk and apis for.
    Last edited by aero; 06/04/2009 at 09:29 AM.
    ATT has an option to buy tethering with their PDA phones.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post

The point is that 99% of Sprint smartphones do this easily and Pre is the first one where it has been shut down.
    BS. Name smart phones that can tether right out of the box without extra programs or hacks. Further -name smartphones that are advertised for their tethering ability.

I bet I can name more that can't.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

The OP's thread title is right. I think you misunderstand what you need an sdk and apis for.
    Wow, I didn't know that. I figured Sprint/ATT didn't allow tethering simply because they are greedy and want you to buy the modem and modem plan. If Sprint would allow tethering, that would be a huge draw for them and a big contrast to the other carriers
    My unlocked GSM Treo Pro comes with tethering, but I don't tether.

The tethering option with the GSM Treo Pro is shown here:

Last edited by palandri; 06/04/2009 at 09:48 AM.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

The PCWorld review covers this, and agrees with post above that both the Pre and iphone are capable, but restricted by the carriers.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Most (all?) WM and PalmOS phones would tether on Sprint out of the box, if you bought the phone-as-modem add-on to your Fair and Flexible plan. I guess they took that out of Simply Everything, and since you need the SE plan with the Pre then tethering is against the rules anyway.

It seems like USBmodem and even PDANet (except PDANet is device-locked?) should work under Classic with bluetooth, unless classic is unable to access the bluetooth for some reason [though that would surprise me]. It would not surprise me if Classic could not access the USB port, since that's not really designed to be a shared medium.

I don't have a Pre, and honestly probably am not going to get one until they show up cheap on Craigslist, but I'm pretty confident someone will come up with
    1) wifi-to-Sprint tether
    2) bluetooth PAN-to-Sprint tether
    within a few months of release, and if I were to speculate some more it will be before Flash gets ported...
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post

Yes, I did read the reviews and what I said came from what I read in the PCWorld review. Have you read it? It said that the Pre does support tethering, but that Sprint is the one who is not allowing POM on the Pre. And that is exactly what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro1 View Post
    The PCWorld review covers this, and agrees with post above that both the Pre and iphone are capable, but restricted by the carriers.
    Exactly! I don't think "aero" read that review.
    Last edited by ImmaSlave4U; 06/04/2009 at 09:58 AM.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast