Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by enter260 View Post
    i'm sorry but that is not a good analogy at all, but no, i would not buy windows 7 if it had all those shortcomings you mentioned. a better analogy would be if some piece of software only worked on xp and not on windows 7.
    If you're JUST talking about third-party mobile phone apps, then you're right. We shouldn't necessarily expect third-party functionality from previous devices to be native on the new one.*

I thought meyerweb was talking about native apps and functionality, though. Whenever one of us expresses our disappointment at how the Pre can't do things that our years-old Treo's could do out-of-the-box, someone objects and we have to point out that the Pre is supposed to be an UPgrade.

With an upgrade, one expects all the good and less-to-none of the bad to carry over.

* - (unless those apps provided BASIC functionality that should've been there in the first place - like a decent call volume)
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by NAOrion View Post
    any updates on getting it to tether now that it's out?
    I've tethered my Pre with BlueTooth and it worked fine when I used WiFi. When I disabled WiFi, it still stayed connected, but I got a red alert on the phone that Sprint denies Internet Sharing.

So it's definitely working but Sprint is blocking it (like on the Treo without a special plan for this).

I haven't yet asked Sprint if they offer a plan to add it back in. Or I just wait till someone writes a hack (like I did on the Treo)
    Quote Originally Posted by rrkraft View Post
    I've tethered my Pre with BlueTooth and it worked fine when I used WiFi. When I disabled WiFi, it still stayed connected, but I got a red alert on the phone that Sprint denies Internet Sharing.

So it's definitely working but Sprint is blocking it (like on the Treo without a special plan for this).

I haven't yet asked Sprint if they offer a plan to add it back in. Or I just wait till someone writes a hack (like I did on the Treo)
    wow ok so the technology is there, we just have to figure out how to bypass the sprint block. good to know. I'll be folowing this closely as this is the one thing preventing me from getting a pre right now
    Quote Originally Posted by NAOrion View Post
    wow ok so the technology is there, we just have to figure out how to bypass the sprint block. good to know. I'll be folowing this closely as this is the one thing preventing me from getting a pre right now
    On the Instinct, once you have your MSL, you can disable this check (NAI). Another thread here said there was no such option on the Pre (at least none yet found.)

Anyways, I still won't buy it until it has USB tethering. BT tethering just drains the battery too fast.

(P.S. Sending this right now from a USB tethered Instinct.)
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234