Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 65
  1. naddie's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Palm Centro for a start.
    I had to use USB Modem for my Centro. I didn't see any way to tether without a 3rd party program. Also, I did any mention of tethering in the list of features for the Centro.
  2. #42  
    Not that this proves either point, but it sure was nice when "they" (Pam and/or Sprint) enabled DUN on the Treo 650.

    No custom ROM, no hack, no Sprint software necessary.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by naddie View Post
    I had to use USB Modem for my Centro. I didn't see any way to tether without a 3rd party program. Also, I did any mention of tethering in the list of features for the Centro.
    I tether my Centro via Bluetooth DUN. No third party apps needed.
  4. naddie's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I tether my Centro via Bluetooth DUN. No third party apps needed.
    Unfortunately, I don't have bluetooth on my laptop or netbook.
  5. #45  
    Can a mod please rename "Teathering" to "tethering" in the thread title?
  6. #46  
    I think most ppl expect teathering is coming but if you need it on day one, perhaps you should wait on the pre.
  7. Evan78's Avatar
    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    ...some people, like me, have devices that do not or cannot support the modem (USB or PC card). I have to tether via bluetooth.
    What devices do you tether your phone to besides a computer? I've had a several Treos (650, 700p, 800w) and only tethered a couple times, mainly due to lack of need. I'm just curious what people are doing with the ability that I haven't needed or thought of.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shan View Post
    Can a mod please rename "Teathering" to "tethering" in the thread title?
    Weather or not you teather is something beatter leaft to the pros. My friend Hether (who is under the whether) has a pleathora of plether garments and has used a fether to teather her phone and computer togeather.
  9. DDD
    DDD is offline
    DDD's Avatar
    Posts
    60 Posts
    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Weather or not you teather is something beatter leaft to the pros. My friend Hether (who is under the whether) has a pleathora of plether garments and has used a fether to teather her phone and computer togeather.
    Thank You Henry Higgins
    Also Known as 3_D
  10. naddie's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan78 View Post
    What devices do you tether your phone to besides a computer? I've had a several Treos (650, 700p, 800w) and only tethered a couple times, mainly due to lack of need. I'm just curious what people are doing with the ability that I haven't needed or thought of.
    So far, I personally have used WMWiFiRouter to tether to my iPod Touch. The browser is so much better than the Touch Pro, I was willing to go through his extra step.

    Of course, I've also wirelessly tethered it to my netbook. It's nice not to worry about a cable, and be able to share the internet to both my netbook and iPod Touch, but it drains battery so I only use it sparingly.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by naddie View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't have bluetooth on my laptop or netbook.
    I made sure to buy a netbook with built in bluetooth. Its useful for hotsyncing as well as DUN. You could buy a BT dongle if you were keeping the Centro.
  12. #52  
    Give it some time, someone will find a way!
    ( pre-wallpapers.com ) - Over 7000+ Wallpapers for your Palm Pre... Enjoy!
  13. #53  
    In a phone conversation with a Sprint customer service rep, she said that phone-as-modem IS enabled and that the phone can be used as a modem. I asked her the question twice to make sure and got the same answer both times.

    Anybody tried it yet?
  14. #54  
    any updates on getting it to tether now that it's out?
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    BS. Name smart phones that can tether right out of the box without extra programs or hacks. Further -name smartphones that are advertised for their tethering ability.

    I bet I can name more that can't.
    Well, my 750 with WM6 firmware can tether my Windows laptop using USB. There is a provided application with WM6 to do so. Before I upgraded, with more effort, I could tether using bluetooth.

    I don't recall advertisements about tethering, and I generally don't use it (I don't have a tethering plan).
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan78 View Post
    What devices do you tether your phone to besides a computer? I've had a several Treos (650, 700p, 800w) and only tethered a couple times, mainly due to lack of need. I'm just curious what people are doing with the ability that I haven't needed or thought of.
    Before I bought my 750 a couple years ago, I used to tether a Dell Axim via bluetooth to get internet/mail away from home. Dell died out of warranty, I looked at the market for PDAs, then bought the Treo.
  17. enter260's Avatar
    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Jeez - they have been out several years. Most of have been tethering for years. You could do it even before evdo.
    did you even read his post? most phones can tether "out of the box" (according to you) because they are using an old OS that has been out for several years. remind me again, how long has webos been out?
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by enter260 View Post
    did you even read his post? most phones can tether "out of the box" (according to you) because they are using an old OS that has been out for several years. remind me again, how long has webos been out?
    Generally, when companies introduce something new, they try to make it better than the old product, not worse. Would you buy a new car that was worse than your 15 year old one, in the hopes that someday the manufacturer might fix the problems? Would you buy a computer with Windows 7 if it performed more poorly, froze up more often, and had fewer capabilities than your old XP PC? And would you make excuses that Windows 7 is a NEW OS, so we shouldn't expect too much from it?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by enter260 View Post
    did you even read his post? most phones can tether "out of the box" (according to you) because they are using an old OS that has been out for several years. remind me again, how long has webos been out?
    I should point out that the Instinct tethered "out of the box", no new software needed. The only thing you need is your MSL # to remove any stupid restriction Sprint added.

    I won't be getting a Pre until it tethers (either "out of the box" or with some 3rd party SW.)
  20. enter260's Avatar
    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Generally, when companies introduce something new, they try to make it better than the old product, not worse. Would you buy a new car that was worse than your 15 year old one, in the hopes that someday the manufacturer might fix the problems? Would you buy a computer with Windows 7 if it performed more poorly, froze up more often, and had fewer capabilities than your old XP PC? And would you make excuses that Windows 7 is a NEW OS, so we shouldn't expect too much from it?
    i'm sorry but that is not a good analogy at all, but no, i would not buy windows 7 if it had all those shortcomings you mentioned. a better analogy would be if some piece of software only worked on xp and not on windows 7.

    most phones require some hack for you to get free tethering out of it. also, not everyone considers tethering an integral part of having a phone.

    i'm not saying to not expect too much from the new webos, but frankly, it's still brand spankin new. give it some time and i bet you tethering will be available. right now, there are other [major] issues that need to be sorted out. it is absurd to expect every new product to be able to do everything the last generation could.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions