Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I also hate to give up built-in Internet Connection Sharing and WMWifiRouter on Windows Mobile but I think I will just have to take one for the team and deal with it. I don't need it so often that it's gonna kill me, especially now that I will have a better mobile web browsing experience. I think I will buy the Pre and hold out for a 3rd party app. I'm still keeping the Touch Pro for 30 days just in case I really do end up flipping out over something I can't do anymore.
    I would hazard a guess that the carriers want you to get a modem for your notebook instead of tethering to your phone. With Sprint, you can do this for $149 with phone and modem plan versus $99 for smartphone only plan. Not a bad price. The problem with this solution is some people, like me, have devices that do not or cannot support the modem (USB or PC card). I have to tether via bluetooth. These modems do not offer that solution. Yes, there is the new MiFi, but I'm not sure about that one (plus it is yet another device to carry and charge.)
    I don't think this is going to be any harder then it was for the Instinct. All you have to do is enable NAI which means you'll need to get your MSL code. That is probably going to be the only issue here.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    it only worked on Treos with a hack or a 3rd party app. Same is true for the Pre. We'll just have to wait for somebody to deliver one of those.
    Not true. If you purchased the PAM plan and used Sprint's Connection Manager you could tether on a Treo without modification or 3rd party tools. I did it on both a 650 and 700p but dropped PAM (my employer paid for it) when my need dissipated.

What's surprising is that I've seen virtually no mention of whether or not PAM is applicable to Pre.
    - Fushigi
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    BS. Name smart phones that can tether right out of the box without extra programs or hacks..
    Are you kidding? like every Treo, every HTC etc can do this with simple registry editing or a installation of a one click program

This is so common that tens of thousands of licenses for one click software have been sold, it has been noted front page of the New Yor Times circuits section and there are hundreds and hundred of thread posts by people here and at ppc and various forums on doing this on all the major current model smart phones.

lol.
    I think Chodaboy hit it out of the park. It's about selling you broadband cellular twice! A few years back, the USB cell thingie wasn't common, or maybe even available. Now it's becoming standard, and you can bet that the phone companies don't want to give away the double money. I'm surprised there isn't something in the phone agreement specifically prohibiting tethering just for that reason...but then the large company universe might scream. So just making difficult for most folks is good enough.
    You seriously just assumed Tethering would be possible out of the box after all this time? I guess you didn't stay all that 'informed' the past 6 months.
    The question is not whether it it works out of the box, but whether a one minute tweak will get it going like the rest of the pack
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    sprint didnt allow for tethering on the instinct, but was still ingrained in the os, thats why a simple hack allowed it to tether,

no worries, hacks will come out, we will be able to tether at some point im sure...
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    I also hate to give up built-in Internet Connection Sharing and WMWifiRouter on Windows Mobile but I think I will just have to take one for the team and deal with it. I don't need it so often that it's gonna kill me, especially now that I will have a better mobile web browsing experience. I think I will buy the Pre and hold out for a 3rd party app. I'm still keeping the Touch Pro for 30 days just in case I really do end up flipping out over something I can't do anymore.
    I'm in exactly the same boat.

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Are you kidding? like every Treo, every HTC etc can do this with simple registry editing or a installation of a one click program

This is so common that tens of thousands of licenses for one click software have been sold, it has been noted front page of the New Yor Times circuits section and there are hundreds and hundred of thread posts by people here and at ppc and various forums on doing this on all the major current model smart phones.

lol.
    How long have all those phones been out? And you still didn't answer my question. Not one phone that works out of the box to tether. Not one of those phones was able to quickly tether when it's OS was first released like the Pre.

The Pre will tether. But to be angry that the first launch phone of a brand new OS won't tether out of the box is just silly, when every other phone that CAN tether took a while for programs to be made or hacks found to do it.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I don't think this is going to be any harder then it was for the Instinct. All you have to do is enable NAI which means you'll need to get your MSL code. That is probably going to be the only issue here.
    hell thats easy, program, or just ask in a chat, i told them my phone kept asking me for some wierd number hahahah.
    Exactly, I'll be shocked if someone doesn't have this thing tethered on day one.
    When Palm first posted technical specs for the Pre, they had Phone As Modem listed. Not long after the initial specs release, it got removed as a specification. So it's in there and probably removed from specs at the direction of Sprint.

Data tethering is a go on Palm Pre
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    How long have all those phones been out? And you still didn't answer my question. Not one phone that works out of the box to tether. Not one of those phones was able to quickly tether when it's OS was first released like the Pre.

The Pre will tether. But to be angry that the first launch phone of a brand new OS won't tether out of the box is just silly, when every other phone that CAN tether took a while for programs to be made or hacks found to do it.
    Jeez - they have been out several years. Most of have been tethering for years. You could do it even before evdo.

And answer what question? The op wasnt talking about "out of the box", I don't know why you threw that in. We are talking about taking literally one minute to edit the registry or installing one of several a one click programs.

And what is with the "angry" statement? no one is "angry." It seems to me that you are "angry" that people are bringing up a shortcoming.

And you simply have zero idea what you are talking about when you say "every": other phone that can tether took a while. Nope. Almost all of them were able to do it the day they were released. I could teatehr on the 800w the day it was release. the same on the htc touch, touch pro, and treo pro etc etc etc.

Don't you get it? it is a tick in the "con" column, a negative on the phone. It is silly for you to imply people are condemning the phone or "angry" It is a feature common to smartphones and which power users want that is not on this phone. It is a point of information on a missing feature of varying importance to different users.

The fact is simple, most top smartphones can asily do this with the user spending one minute to add this function. The Pre cannot. It is silly to dismiss this missing feature as a non issue, when it is an issue for some.
    JUNEfabrics said they will make PDAnet for webOS. It is just a matter of when.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    JUNEfabrics said they will make PDAnet for webOS. It is just a matter of when.
    If the Pre supports bluetooth PAN, then it's very easy to make work. We just haven't seen a review ehre anyone pairs a pre with a laptop and sees what all profiles are supported.

Tethering via wifi is much more complicated I suspect, and via USB will tricky without some form of serial port driver to make dialup work.
    I tether my BlackBerry Bold through bluetooth to my MacBook when I need an emergency connection. I don't pay for a tethering plan with AT&T, but I don't abuse it. I only download a few MB's of data when I do it. Nice to have that option though for when you really need it.
    Knowing this, I might just still go ahead and get the Pre but keep my centro for tethering and add it to my plan as a second line.
    aaaahhhhhh........ Wave of Destruction!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    I tether my BlackBerry Bold through bluetooth to my MacBook when I need an emergency connection. I don't pay for a tethering plan with AT&T, but I don't abuse it. I only download a few MB's of data when I do it. Nice to have that option though for when you really need it.
    Agreed. I don't see the need to pay for an aircard when I might tether my phone once every couple of months just to pull a word document from my email.
    BS. Name smart phones that can tether right out of the box without extra programs or hacks. Further -name smartphones that are advertised for their tethering ability.

I bet I can name more that can't.
    Palm Centro for a start.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I emailed mobile-stream (makers of USB Modem for Treo), and here is their response:

We certainly would like to develop a tethering application for Pre/Eos, but:
    1) The current WebOS SDK is for web-only "applications" so it is of no use for the relatively low-level task such as tethering.
    2) The SDK is not even available to every developer yet. There is some non-transparent distribution to selected developers and unfortunately we are not on board.

We expect it will be possible to develop the application even without SDK (just like the existing PalmOS version uses lots of undocumented API), but this will probably require something like iPhone's jail-breaking so it is not suitable for everyone.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast