Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45
  1.    #1  
    Not sure if this has been answered but will it be possible to see if you have a waiting notification (a missed call or what not) without opening the phone?
    A flashing light/beep or something like that?
  2. leez's Avatar
    Posts
    136 Posts
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by moody View Post
    Not sure if this has been answered but will it be possible to see if you have a waiting notification (a missed call or what not) without opening the phone?
    A flashing light/beep or something like that?
    I'd started a very similar thread yesterday, here: EDIT: still not enough posts on my end to post links, but look for "Notification Question"

    Everything I can find in reviews and user guides doesn't make mention of it. A notification LED is something I'll miss greatly from my BlackBerry. I assume a 3rd party app will eventually make this manageable.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by leez View Post
    I'd started a very similar thread yesterday, here: EDIT: still not enough posts on my end to post links, but look for "Notification Question"

    Everything I can find in reviews and user guides doesn't make mention of it. A notification LED is something I'll miss greatly from my BlackBerry. I assume a 3rd party app will eventually make this manageable.
    Ah, cool. Thanks.
    The very fact that there are quite a few who ask for this (seen it in other forums too) makes it plausible that it will be implemented. By palm or 3rd party.
  4. leez's Avatar
    Posts
    136 Posts
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by moody View Post
    Ah, cool. Thanks.
    The very fact that there are quite a few who ask for this (seen it in other forums too) makes it plausible that it will be implemented. By palm or 3rd party.
    Well, interestingly, the iPhone doesn't have any sort of notification (or even the capability!), and that wasn't included in the 3G models either--I feel that users will hopefully see the Pre as a more business-centric device and create a demand for it.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by leez View Post
    Well, interestingly, the iPhone doesn't have any sort of notification (or even the capability!), and that wasn't included in the 3G models either--I feel that users will hopefully see the Pre as a more business-centric device and create a demand for it.
    And let me tell you, every day I wish my iPhone had one. Its such an easy concept that works so well. Why not include it?
  6. #6  
    In the avalanche of reviews last night, I read (I think it was Engadget's?) that you can indicate in the preferences whether you want notifications about emails and such on the lock screen. I don't believe it's enabled by default, but the option is in the OS...not a third party app.
  7. #7  
    just hope it doesn't have the idiotic HTC Mogul's "hey, I'm on, so this green light is going to flash every few seconds." it's dang near bright enuff to be a night light. and no, it can't be turned off. Only thing it does is change to orange color when a call is missed or VM, but not email notification.

    Hope they do have some sort of indicator for VM and email. Just don't need a flashing night light.
    I see pandas.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    In the avalanche of reviews last night, I read (I think it was Engadget's?) that you can indicate in the preferences whether you want notifications about emails and such on the lock screen. I don't believe it's enabled by default, but the option is in the OS...not a third party app.
    I dont remember seeing that in the mountain of reviews I read, but that would be good news. Still want a blinking light though.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    In the avalanche of reviews last night, I read (I think it was Engadget's?) that you can indicate in the preferences whether you want notifications about emails and such on the lock screen. I don't believe it's enabled by default, but the option is in the OS...not a third party app.
    The option you are referring to can be seen in Dieter's preferences review video (around 2:00).

    http://www.precentral.net/palm-pre-p...overview-video

    But I would assume that one would need to turn on the screen to see those notifications which is different than what OP wants.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by bkdude View Post
    The option you are referring to can be seen in Dieter's preferences review video (around 2:00).

    http://www.precentral.net/palm-pre-p...overview-video

    But I would assume that one would need to turn on the screen to see those notifications which is different than what OP wants.
    But if you had a notification light, wouldn't you have to turn on the screen to see what it is anyway?
  11. leez's Avatar
    Posts
    136 Posts
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    In the avalanche of reviews last night, I read (I think it was Engadget's?) that you can indicate in the preferences whether you want notifications about emails and such on the lock screen. I don't believe it's enabled by default, but the option is in the OS...not a third party app.
    Yea, I think myself and OP are looking for an option to let you know you have a new message/whatever without needing to turn on the screen.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    But if you had a notification light, wouldn't you have to turn on the screen to see what it is anyway?
    no. You would have a blinking led like the blackberry.
  13. leez's Avatar
    Posts
    136 Posts
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    But if you had a notification light, wouldn't you have to turn on the screen to see what it is anyway?
    Well, yes, but, instead of checking my screen every 10 minutes to know if there's a message, it'd be nice if there was a light to let me know. I guess after having used a BB and other devices for a while, this is just something I've just come to appreciate.

    Hell, even my old flip phone had LEDs for text messages and voicemails.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by leez View Post
    Well, yes, but, instead of checking my screen every 10 minutes to know if there's a message, it'd be nice if there was a light to let me know. I guess after having used a BB and other devices for a while, this is just something I've just come to appreciate.

    Hell, even my old flip phone had LEDs for text messages and voicemails.
    If you had the phone with you enough to check every 10 minutes, I assume you would feel and/or hear it vibrate when the email or call came in. If you were away from the phone, you would take a second to power it up and see what you missed anyway, then put it back down.

    Granted, I'm no Blackberry user, but I don't see the vast economy of motion that Palm is missing out on here. Just my opinion.
  15. leez's Avatar
    Posts
    136 Posts
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    If you had the phone with you enough to check every 10 minutes, I assume you would feel and/or hear it vibrate when the email or call came in. If you were away from the phone, you would take a second to power it up and see what you missed anyway, then put it back down.

    Granted, I'm no Blackberry user, but I don't see the vast economy of motion that Palm is missing out on here. Just my opinion.
    Understandable--just that for those of us who have it, it works. Personally, I don't like my phone to vibrate everytime I get an email--it'd be going off all day.

    Regardless, unlike the iPhone, the Pre has the hardware for it, the question will be whether or not those of us who'd want a feature like that can utilize it.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by leez View Post
    Well, yes, but, instead of checking my screen every 10 minutes to know if there's a message, it'd be nice if there was a light to let me know. I guess after having used a BB and other devices for a while, this is just something I've just come to appreciate.

    Hell, even my old flip phone had LEDs for text messages and voicemails.
    I agree, it would be cool if one of the LEDs under the Pre's screen lit up. The button lights up and theres a light on both sides, so it's perfectly possible. I just don't think it's there yet.

    The Instinct recently had an update to have flashing lights, it was a nice improvement. I hope the Pre gets this eventually/
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    But if you had a notification light, wouldn't you have to turn on the screen to see what it is anyway?
    Yes. But thats point. Once notification is there, only then one needs to check what it is and turn on the phone screen at that time. Not a big deal for me but I would guess that is what OP is looking for.
  18. #18  
    I'm just speculating here, but I think the Center Button is backlit, and can potentially be used to indicate a message waiting/missed call.

    Edit: nevermind. I just searched the user guide at scribd [dot] com/doc/15851822/SG-Pre-UserGuide and found nothing about a backlit center button. would've made perfect sense, though, right??
    Last edited by acaplinger; 06/04/2009 at 11:15 AM. Reason: typing outta my butt
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    If you had the phone with you enough to check every 10 minutes, I assume you would feel and/or hear it vibrate when the email or call came in. If you were away from the phone, you would take a second to power it up and see what you missed anyway, then put it back down.

    Granted, I'm no Blackberry user, but I don't see the vast economy of motion that Palm is missing out on here. Just my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by bkdude View Post
    Yes. But thats point. Once notification is there, only then one needs to check what it is and turn on the phone screen at that time. Not a big deal for me but I would guess that is what OP is looking for.
    Sometimes, I don't realize I missed a call, even though the device is on my hip. It's nice, though, that my 755p flashes to let me know that there was a missed call.

    That initial notification is momentary. If you happen to miss it for whatever reason (and there are plenty of reasons) it'd be nice not to have to always turn on the screen to see if you missed something.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by acaplinger View Post
    I'm just speculating here, but I think the Center Button is backlit, and can potentially be used to indicate a message waiting/missed call.
    That would be nice. My old samsung clamshell had a blue light for a missed call /voicemail, and an orange light for SMS/email. It was nice when I'm in disposed and walk by the phone I see a "light." But that was years ago and I haven't been anxiously awaiting that feature again. But die-hard BB owners still have it and the ones I know will miss it.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions