Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I like the Pre. I will be in line Saturday if Premee Friday doesn't pan out.

That said, I think now most of us have identified the shortcomings (for us) in the Pre and are thinking about solutions/workarounds.

What are your three most urgent fixes that will make the device more compelling for you and the broader market?

For me:

1. Open it up!!! I knew Palm when they were a small private company in Los Altos. They were feverishly working away on the PIM apps and Graffiti handwriting. They rolled it out and all the key apps were home grown. Sure, this is helpful, but the drawbacks are many. Palm needs to open up the OS and get a few more productivity players in there to do the following much better than Palm could spread so thin: Visual Voicemail, Calendar/Contacts/Tasks, Phone app. WebOS is great, but they have left out some key features that a dedicated developer would solve if there was individual recognition and revenue associated.
    2. Open it up!!! There are so many preferences, categories and other database fields that should be customizable on the Pre that don't seem to be. Given apps can be written with CSS, there should be no end to the customization that should be allowable without breaking the UI. Many of the reviews speak to quirks that should be a matter of more detailed preferences. Is this needs to be done through 3rd parties - Fine. Give them access so they can get working.
    3. Open it up!!! The best thing about the Palm was how extended it became through developers. Uses Palm hadn't thought of. Quick productivity ideas instead of major new applications. Ways to make the phone work the way you work instead of the reverse. There were many fewer junk apps than the Apple store has now. Let's get the calendar wars started. Or the hacks, or the backup solutions. I think it's great Palm wants a solution for the masses out the gate, but before I give up my Centro, I want to know that I'll have access to the customizations that have made my Centro work the way I work. This should be possible without breaking the thing and if not, it won't make it anyway. It's OK to be a bit tight in the beginning, but at least share what the path to the Promised Land is so we can be sure we want to be on the journey.
    Simple: Universal search is anything but Universal. What's with that?

That feature seems woefully unfinished, and they touted it as being a spotlight for your phone essentially. From what I've seen, it's anything but.
    Palm III -> Visor Prism -> Dell Axim X30 Hi -> HTC Apache -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch Pro

Ev-Do Rev. A Tethered on my TP:
    Texting a single message to unlimited number of people NOT just ten people, ten? wtf? Allow group texting

Is there a forever call log like on the old Palm oS? nobody has clarified this, every phone I saw they hadn't had it long enough to tell
    Maybe we should at least wait to get it in our hands before we nitpick like this. I mean jeez, I usually ignore flaws at least for the first few weeks until the high calms down.
  5. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdtalker View Post
    Simple: Universal search is anything but Universal. What's with that?

That feature seems woefully unfinished, and they touted it as being a spotlight for your phone essentially. From what I've seen, it's anything but.
    You're talking about a universal search so universal that you need a search within the search to find what you're looking for. Think about it.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Maybe we should at least wait to get it in our hands before we nitpick like this. I mean jeez, I usually ignore flaws at least for the first few weeks until the high calms down.
    Look. I think the phone is great. I'm buying it with my hard-earned money. But Palm and others have been down this path before. They build the basics themselves to showcase what the thing can do and then REAL users get short-changed until a dedicated developer can take on the project for fun or profit.

I'm not quibbling with who they've chosen for 3rd party apps at launch. I just wish they had given a good developer a shot at alternatives to the key native apps to be available (at a profit) at launch. Then, these shortcomings wouldn't be deal breakers for those not in a frenzy to get the next, best thing.

Those who will hold onto their 700p a little longer or their Blackberry. Those who are suspicious of Sprint and will wait for ATT or Verizon. I just want the thing to be succesful and I don't want to have to wait for new hardware to be successful. I think they'll do it. I think they'll do it faster than apple did. I just want it done NOW for those in the community that are willing to suffer through the bugs and crashes we went through with the Palm in order to get the most flexible, robust device in existence.
    More quality apps along with a few games like Bejeweled. I don't care if Palm has to pay other developers...
    The number one thing Palm needs to do is fully open up the SDK to allow low level access and release ASAP. They needs apps now and not just web-based apps.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    I can't get my memory card slot to work, I think theres a bug in the software
    Universal Search, I agree. It should search memos, calender, the whole phone.

Other than that I need to use it first.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Battery.
    Categories (and backup/sync) for Memos.
    True Universal device search.
    Ability to cut and paste from web pages.
    Option to selectively limit Facebook Contacts.
    Support for 3rd Party to develop a Pre Desktop App (like the Palm Desktop software) with USB or Touchstone sync'ing.
    16 GB fixed memory and/or mini SD memory slot.
    Firmware upgrades ASAP to address above, plus other "bugs".
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    Look. I think the phone is great. I'm buying it with my hard-earned money. But Palm and others have been down this path before. They build the basics themselves to showcase what the thing can do and then REAL users get short-changed until a dedicated developer can take on the project for fun or profit.

I'm not quibbling with who they've chosen for 3rd party apps at launch. I just wish they had given a good developer a shot at alternatives to the key native apps to be available (at a profit) at launch. Then, these shortcomings wouldn't be deal breakers for those not in a frenzy to get the next, best thing.

Those who will hold onto their 700p a little longer or their Blackberry. Those who are suspicious of Sprint and will wait for ATT or Verizon. I just want the thing to be succesful and I don't want to have to wait for new hardware to be successful. I think they'll do it. I think they'll do it faster than apple did. I just want it done NOW for those in the community that are willing to suffer through the bugs and crashes we went through with the Palm in order to get the most flexible, robust device in existence.
    Oh, I know, I was mostly kidding. But I think until you have the device in hand, it's impossible to know which changes are the most important for you. I mean, right now I could tell you what I think is important, but until I'm using it every day, I have no idea what will actually be.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    these three seem to be my top choices:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepysurf View Post
    Categories (and backup/sync) for Memos.
    True Universal device search.
    Ability to cut and paste from web pages.
    Option to selectively limit Facebook Contacts.
    but copy paste from web pages is my number one concern.

Hopefully evernote will make an app, and then there will be an easy way to save web clippings.
    Is there a search email function?

If not, that is something to add...
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    First priority, release the SDK!!!
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    1. Universal Search (that is truly universal)

2. *ONE* icon for settings; I really don't like how cluttered the Launcher is with discrete applications for Wi-Fi, Speaker, Bluetooth, etc... I'd much prefer one Setting app on the launcher.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    First, release a great SDK and allow greater hardware/software access to developers.

Second, make Universal search truly universal and allow it to search email, sms, mms, etc.
    Actually, before they get to any of the stuff mentioned thus far, they still have a few 1.0 issues to work out like random memory leaks and allocations. I'd prefer they get the OS 100 percent instead of 98.5, THEN unleash the hordes of apps and such.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    1. Sync to My Contacts in Google rather than All Contacts

2. Allow for you to pick a specific grouping to sync, or to pick specific facebook entries to sync. Alternative to this would be to download all the facebook information, but only display the ones you choose in the contacts app.

3. Truly Universal Search. Alternatively, you could make the apps (such as email) that it doesn't work in have a search work just within them.

4. Memo categories.

5. Sync through BLUETOOTH (I haven't seen this mentioned as possible yet. Am I wrong?)

-edited- GAH i'm an *****. Bluetooth, bluetooth for syncing, not USB. Dumb error there
    Last edited by Zyphlin; 06/04/2009 at 02:37 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast