Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My list is based on what I've seen so far, and what can be changed in software, i.e., the OS, the firmware, or added via 3rd party apps. I'm assuming that's what this thread is for, as opposed to a wish list for things we'd like to see in Pre 2.

1. Universal Search extended to more apps, where it makes sense. The current UI probably doesn't support too many things, now that I think about it--if the results list gets too long, it could become cumbersome. Let's say, add Calendar, Tasks, and then a list of user-selectable options.

2. Add more search engine options to Universal Search, and make it user-selectable. For example, could add Facebook and remove Twitter.

3. Enable Google Task syncing ASAP. They're probably waiting for Google to release the API, but once they do...

4. Open up PIM data. As I understand it, applications can only access PIM data that they write. So, Fandango can write a calendar item and presumably record that you've purchased and scheduled a movie. But, it can't check your calendar first to see if you're free at the movie time. Letting Fandango see that information would make the application absolutely sublime--imagine you want to see a movie but forget your kid's soccer game is at that time. Fandango would alert you when you tried to purchase a ticket and then propose another time.

5. Copy/paste from non-editable text.

6. Enable more options for things like ringtones, alert sounds, etc.

7. Enable search by name in the phone app.

8. Enable Facebook and Google category contact sync filters. I'll live without them, but I'd love to be able to use my Facebook filters to limit who I see on my Pre.

9. Enable scroll bars throughout the UI to limit swiping in long lists.

10. Add Live Messenger IM to Synergy messaging. My wife's not going to be happy to have to start using GTalk to chat with me.

11. Add video recording.

Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    A car dash mount would be good. My wife is going to get tired holding the Pre as i use Sprint Nav..
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    Universal Search, I agree. It should search memos, calender, the whole phone.
    This is my first instinct too, but I'm beginning to wonder if they didn't make the right choice (but gave the feature a misleading name).

If you make the search too broad, the screen won't elegantly hold all the results and have room to offer off-device searches.

As long as the calendar, memos, tasks, etc offer in-application searching, I may actually prefer the way not-so-Universal search currently works. If I'm looking for an appointment, I know enough that I don't need to search the entire device - I'll launch calendar and look there.

Contacts and apps feel like sufficiently special cases to me that including them feels right. But tasks? I'll just go to the tasks app and search there.

YMMV, and I go back and forth on this myself. But I don't think this was an outrageous choice.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    1. 16 gig storage, or better yet, 32 gig.
    2. Get Sprint/Verizon to allow surfing and emailing while on the phone.
    3. Have native ability to type touchscreen also, including in landscape mode.
    4. Visual voicemail.
    5. Go to Verizon now, not six months from now. Find a way out of the exclusive with Sprint.
    6. Allow downloading music on 3G, not just on Wifi.
    7. Better keyboard.
    8. Glass screen, not plastic.
    9. Have GSM capable phone paired with the CDMA phone for international usage.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    There are some good ideas here.
    However, some of them are not realistic.

I think the goal of this thread was to come up with some changes that could be done OTA within a month or so, not hardware redesigns, etc.

The plastic screen is here, its staying, the PRE 1.0 will be Plastic.
    Talking & Surfing - i believe (correct me?) that Sprints network simply cannot do this based on CDMA?
    Bigger keyboard? not gonna happen right now.
    16gb or 32gb, not gonna happen right now.
    Autofocus camera? Doubtful.

These might be good ideas for PRE v2 in 2010, but they are not going to happen in this release.

Lets focus on things that could.

1) Categories in Notes.
    2) Copy/Paste from anywhere to anywhere
    3) Universal Search - improve it, give people the options ckboxes to choose what they want it to search thru.
    4) Battery - well, PALM wont alter it, but we all know VERY GOOD 3rd party TREO battery manufacturers that will give us a very good 3rd party option!
    5) Enable search by name in the phone? This was said above. Are you saying it can't search by name? nah, i dont believe that one. mistype?
    6) Enable scroll bars so we can quickly get to the top or bottom or WAY down, or WAY up a page, instead of flik, flik, flik, flik, etc.
    7) To be honest, a memcard would have slapped apple in the face, but we wont get that, so lets just figure out if we can live with 8gb.
    8) Bluetooth Sync or Wifi Sync directly PC to PRE (for those with security issues that cant use google, or Exchange OTA). Most likely a 3rd party, i heard Pocketmirror maybe?
    9) SDK - totally agree with this. Palm is behind, and if its going to get the ball rolling with developers, it has to be quick, so that it can create an ecosystem like the Apple Store, otherwise, we'll always have a couple hundred apps, 20% of them useful, and a ton of old skool emulator apps.
    10) Fix the cloud sync to be more specific, as every reviewer has pointed out that this feature just dumped a ton of crap into the phone.

These aren't "Palm you suck" lists we are building. These are "Thanks Palm for giving us something to look foreword to, and fall for, and we want you to be successful in this endeavor so here are some of our thoughts to make things even better".

....engage!
    - Jabra JX10
    - IBM Thinkpad
    - Hot chick Avatar

...ahhh, life is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    This is my first instinct too, but I'm beginning to wonder if they didn't make the right choice (but gave the feature a misleading name).

If you make the search too broad, the screen won't elegantly hold all the results and have room to offer off-device searches.

As long as the calendar, memos, tasks, etc offer in-application searching, I may actually prefer the way not-so-Universal search currently works. If I'm looking for an appointment, I know enough that I don't need to search the entire device - I'll launch calendar and look there.

Contacts and apps feel like sufficiently special cases to me that including them feels right. But tasks? I'll just go to the tasks app and search there.

YMMV, and I go back and forth on this myself. But I don't think this was an outrageous choice.

The iPhone does universal search (with 3.0) very well. It's truly universal and it finds what you want and places it at the top in terms of relevance. Besides, if you don't like that argument, how about the fact that the Treo 600 had this? And that every Palm I've ever owned had this. Add that to the fact that the competition has this. Then add on the fact that Palm is actually trying to say their Universal Search is a benefit...
    Last edited by Badandy127; 06/04/2009 at 01:33 PM.
    If Pogue is right, and I don't doubt him, ringer volume.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Launcher categories!
    along with everything else already mentioned.........voice dialing over bluetooth.
    1. Allow us to selectively limit/filter/choose/whatever which Contacts from each source gets Synergized.
    2. Either natively support or allow enough access for others to develop support for the other IM protocols, notably Yahoo (AIM is already supported, yah?).
    3. Support categories (and multiple categories!) for everything (contacts, memos, tasks, programs...).
    4. Enable multiple-select in lists as appropriate (e.g., for doing operations on multiple emails).
    5. Broaden the search to enable searching SMS/IMs, both to search for "the person with whom I was talking" and "what was said".
    6. Copy from anywhere. Paste where appropriate.
    7. Un-nerf the Bluetooth. Enable as many functions as possible, for instance file transfers (which I'd read somewhere were not supported).
    Quote Originally Posted by hotis300boy View Post
    Texting a single message to unlimited number of people NOT just ten people, ten? wtf? Allow group texting

Is there a forever call log like on the old Palm oS? nobody has clarified this, every phone I saw they hadn't had it long enough to tell
    I read that there wasn't one. It kept a couple of calls but not a lot.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12