Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1.    #1  
    Sorry search it atleast ten different ways. Can you use/or support windows instant messager and hotmail on the palm pre? I know you can not use palm sync. But you need a thrid party app to run windows instant messenger (yeah I know most of my friends use it over AIM or yahoo) or can you download a moblie app from M$ to make it run and same for hotmail. Because the 10 minute video review seem to suggest the only sync apps were, facebook, gmail, Palms calander , push exchange.Thanks
  2. #2  
    There's no support for MSN yet, no. I don't see why it wouldn't arrive in the future, but it's not here yet.
  3.    #3  
    Hmmm that means hotmail and windows instant messager are lock out completely or in the case of hotmail you have to view thought the web brouser by going to hotmail.com? The loss of hotmail and now I think of it my yahoo email could pre buy killer for me because that those two accounts is were 98% email comes from Blech bummmer
  4. Xyg
    Xyg is offline
    Xyg's Avatar
    Posts
    1,104 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by bob1xxxx View Post
    Hmmm that means hotmail and windows instant messager are lock out completely or in the case of hotmail you have to view thought the web brouser by going to hotmail.com? The loss of hotmail and now I think of it my yahoo email could pre buy killer for me because that those two accounts is were 98% email comes from Blech bummmer
    There's always the option to port everything to Gmail. Which might not be a bad idea anyway.
  5. #5  
    Hotmail supports POP3 which will let you get your email, but POP3 is not nearly as robust a standard as IMAP so it won't be ideal.
  6. #6  
    I really hope the add it eventually. I use WLM more than AIM and Gtalk combined.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

    Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    There's always the option to port everything to Gmail. Which might not be a bad idea anyway.

    Why? I really do not like google privacy practices when it comes to email, and All my friends/work contacts have either my yahoo (which my dsl provider uses) or my hotmail adresses and I find most google apps to be feature rich , but obtuse and poor documentation making simple tasks a pain in the arse . Sorry I not apart of this massive mad rush to have Google /twit erzation of the web world. And in my mind one of the major draw backs with the Pre is its so bound up by google. If I want a Google device I'll get a Tmobile android phone. Wtf? I can not understand this mad dash to Google, isn't worlds two 600 pound monkeys on the back of high tech M$ and Crapple enough?
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    There's always the option to port everything to Gmail. Which might not be a bad idea anyway.
    How do you do this?
  9. Xyg
    Xyg is offline
    Xyg's Avatar
    Posts
    1,104 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by bob1xxxx View Post
    Why? I really do not like google privacy practices when it comes to email, and All my friends/work contacts have either my yahoo (which my dsl provider uses) or my hotmail adresses and I find most google apps to be feature rich , but obtuse and poor documentation making simple tasks a pain in the arse . Sorry I not apart of this massive mad rush to have Google /twit erzation of the web world. And in my mind one of the major draw backs with the Pre is its so bound up by google. If I want a Google device I'll get a Tmobile android phone. Wtf? I can not understand this mad dash to Google, isn't worlds two 600 pound monkeys on the back of high tech M$ and Crapple enough?
    Yeah, and the privacy practices of the other major free email services are that much better.

    Get over yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brqndon
    How do you do this?
    Here's a guide done by Google.
  10. haydur's Avatar
    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Hotmail supports POP3 which will let you get your email, but POP3 is not nearly as robust a standard as IMAP so it won't be ideal.
    Hotmail also supports IMAP. In fact if I remember correctly, it was one of the first free email providers to support IMAP.
  11. #11  
    Would Meebo be supported in the browser I wonder?
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  12. #12  
    I read from one source that played with the phone that it does support yahoo mail if you put in your yahoo address.

    I am sure as far as IM goes, the other crappier services (MSN, Yahoo) are coming.
  13. quipper8's Avatar
    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    #13  
    is there an included IM app on the pre at all?
  14. benski's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    #14  
    Windows instant messenger support outside of the native client has always been sketchy on pc's; if you've ever run adium or pidgin and have msn accounts enabled you know what I'm talking about. Constant disconnect/reconnects, switchboard errors when sending a message, never receiving a message etc.

    Hopefully Microsoft can work with Palm on official support, or Palm can add support for it via libpurple in a future update.

    ./Ben
  15. DogEarsAZ's Avatar
    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by benski View Post
    Windows instant messenger support outside of the native client has always been sketchy on pc's
    Pardon my being blunt, but you have NO idea what you are talking about.

    Digsby
    Trillian
    Adium

    All of those clients connect and work with MSN. The only one with sketchy functionality is Digsby, primarily because it is so new. Adium is absolutely flawless, but it only runs on the Mac and makes me a sad panda because of that.

    The WLM client is a bloated application that is bested by nearly all of the independent providers.
  16. Mikest's Avatar
    Posts
    429 Posts
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by DogEars View Post
    Pardon my being blunt, but you have NO idea what you are talking about.

    Digsby
    Trillian
    Adium

    All of those clients connect and work with MSN. The only one with sketchy functionality is Digsby, primarily because it is so new. Adium is absolutely flawless, but it only runs on the Mac and makes me a sad panda because of that.

    The WLM client is a bloated application that is bested by nearly all of the independent providers.
    As a owner of two Mac's I can 100% tell you Adium is no where close to flawless when it comes to MSN messenger support on the mac. It fails frequently.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by bob1xxxx View Post
    Why? I really do not like google privacy practices when it comes to email, and All my friends/work contacts have either my yahoo (which my dsl provider uses) or my hotmail adresses and I find most google apps to be feature rich , but obtuse and poor documentation making simple tasks a pain in the arse . Sorry I not apart of this massive mad rush to have Google /twit erzation of the web world. And in my mind one of the major draw backs with the Pre is its so bound up by google. If I want a Google device I'll get a Tmobile android phone. Wtf? I can not understand this mad dash to Google, isn't worlds two 600 pound monkeys on the back of high tech M$ and Crapple enough?
    Gmail is easily the best free email service available. It supports IMAP IDLE, great server side filtering and personal domains. I don't use any of the apps (except Google Maps of course) so I have no idea if what you say is correct.
  18. bruba's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    #18  
    I'm not sure about the US, but in a lot of European countries we use MSN only. They don't even know about AIM.

    Did Palm ever comment on this - in a video maybe?
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    Hotmail also supports IMAP. In fact if I remember correctly, it was one of the first free email providers to support IMAP.
    You sure about that?

    WikiAnswers - How do you set up IMAP for hotmail

    About alternatives to DAV if you use Outlook, Outlook Express, or Entourage
  20. DogEarsAZ's Avatar
    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikest View Post
    As a owner of two Mac's I can 100% tell you Adium is no where close to flawless when it comes to MSN messenger support on the mac. It fails frequently.
    Strange. I ran it for nearly a year, prior to selling my MacBook of course, and it has never once crapped out on me. Latest version of Leopard.

    I wonder what would cause the discrepancy here. I used it religiously with dozens of contacts and never had a single issue.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions