Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Seriously. How can the hardware be crap in one review and awesome in the other?

Its either different hardware or biased reviews.
    agreed....somethings not right......engadget is more thorough so ill give the nod to them.
    All reviews are biased, that's the point of a review. You have professional people with (hopefully) above average expretise in a field and they provide their option via a review.

Think movie reviews. I have friends who each follow some particular movie reviewer or another because they share the same tastes as the reviewer. If "their" reviewer doesn't like a movie, my friends probably won't see it. They follow that particular revierer because the reviewer has similar tastes in movies to my friends and my friends, with limited incomes, don't want to spend money seeing movies they probably won't enjoy.

I don't think anyone would bother reading an "unbaised" review. It would be something like this, "it has a keyboard." Blah! Very boring. A real world review is something like this, "It has a keyboard and I found it easier to type on than the virtual Keyboard of my iPhone." This second statement is a biased review expressing an opinion. A different reviewer might very well feel that the virtual keyboard is easier to type on than the Pre's keyboard.

Thus, a reviewer's job is to express an "expert opinion". Yes it's still just an opinion and opinions by definition are biased.
    i dont care what anybody say, from what ive seen in all the videos IM SOLD!
    engadget gets +1
    I visit Engadget
    Treo 650p --> Treo 755p --> Pre
    Gizmodo's picture they took with the pre is all you need to know.
    http://cache.gawker.com/assets/image.../06/precam.jpg
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    The difference is that Gizmodo pretty knew their opinion on the non-apple product before they even tried it.

Engadget did a great job reviewing it and the guy has had a pretty good attitude about it for a while so thats the one i trust.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    The difference is that Gizmodo pretty knew their opinion on the non-apple product before they even tried it.

Engadget did a great job reviewing it and the guy has had a pretty good attitude about it for a while so thats the one i trust.
    Perhaps, but without true evidence, your statement is just conjecture.
  10. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Engadget's review was more in-depth and substantive.

It is interesting to read the wildly different reactions to the hardware.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I always trust Engadget more, Gizmodo just seems like a bunch of sleaze-balls to me. They used to be part of my daily blog reading but there was one tech conference where they seemed to think it was funny to go to various company's product demonstrations and use their universal remote to shut off their equipment in the middle of presentations. I thought that was pretty low and definitely uncalled for.
    Don't forget Engadget's editor-in-chief Josh Topolsky is the one who first introduced the Pre to late night television as one of Jimmy Fallon's guests
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    the gizmodo review was the first time i've heard of the bottom edge being too sharp.
    The cheese cutting video says it all. What rubbish?
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
    Don't forget Engadget's editor-in-chief Josh Topolsky is the one who first introduced the Pre to late night television as one of Jimmy Fallon's guests
    Eh, thats one of the reasons I felt they kind of pulled their punches with this review. Not that I disagree with him because I loved the short time I had with it, but I am coming from a Razr V9 and the Pre will be my first smart phone so I don't really have a frame of reference when it comes to these things.
    The reviews are opnions and take them with a pinch of salt both positive and negative reviews. Simple fact the best review for you is your own self.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Gizmodo's picture they took with the pre is all you need to know.
    http://cache.gawker.com/assets/image.../06/precam.jpg
    Brilliant! I didn't even notice that!
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
    Correct. So it would seem that in these forums, the only reliable indication of a truly balanced review is one written by a fanboi.
    I forced myself to read the gizmodo review (stopped paying attention to giz a looong time ago) and although it felt like the review had been written by a child I still found it to be somewhat better than I expected.
    Gizmodo is no more biased than Engadget. I've found both of them to be quite fair regarding the Pre over the last six months.

Interesting factoid: Engadget actually splintered off of Gizmodo.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast