1. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Will they be able to do this in the store?

Edit to say I asked the pleasant folks in my local corporate store, and the response was "I don't know"
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    I believe so. In the past they've transfered my contacts from dumb phone to dumb phone. Just in case I already put my contacts into my Gmail account so I'm ready to go no matter what.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I don't know what type of phone you had before, but if your phone has bluetooth, you can most likely transfer all of your contacts to your PC, and then you should be able to send them back to the pre. in the address book on your phone, see if there is an option to send the 'name card' or something like that. then hopefully you will have an option to send all of them at once.
  4. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pomokey View Post
    I don't know what type of phone you had before, but if your phone has bluetooth, you can most likely transfer all of your contacts to your PC, and then you should be able to send them back to the pre. in the address book on your phone, see if there is an option to send the 'name card' or something like that. then hopefully you will have an option to send all of them at once.
    This isn't for me, my contacts are all safely backed up in Outlook/Google. My other half is upgrading from a t-mobile dumbphone (Samsung candybar thing) that's about 3 years old.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    This isn't for me, my contacts are all safely backed up in Outlook/Google. My other half is upgrading from a t-mobile dumbphone (Samsung candybar thing) that's about 3 years old.
    it should still work. I just finished backing up my contacts from a 2.5 year old samsung sync (just a camera flip phone.. nothing special)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    hah bet i have the same phone from tmobile
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I have both a Sprint store and Best Buy telling me they can use the standard 'wizard' or "genie" machine they use for all transfers. I don't think they realize that the Pre is different.

I'm here looking for the thread I saw a couple weeks (?) ago regarding How To transfer previous palm address books to Gmail address books. I believe one suggestion was to create a new gmail profile for the express purpose of controlling what contacts you wanted to initially put on your pre - as most of us don't necessarily want all gmail contacts on the Pre. Having trouble finding the post. Anyone remember this?

Thnx,
    Doug
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dougster123 View Post
    I have both a Sprint store and Best Buy telling me they can use the standard 'wizard' or "genie" machine they use for all transfers. I don't think they realize that the Pre is different.

I'm here looking for the thread I saw a couple weeks (?) ago regarding How To transfer previous palm address books to Gmail address books. I believe one suggestion was to create a new gmail profile for the express purpose of controlling what contacts you wanted to initially put on your pre - as most of us don't necessarily want all gmail contacts on the Pre. Having trouble finding the post. Anyone remember this?

Thnx,
    Doug
    Best Buy uses something called a Mobile Genie. They are having an update sent to it on Friday night so that all customer's should be able to transfer their contacts come Saturday morning. Even if you didn't buy the phone from them, they will still do it as a free service, unlike Verizon's ridiculous $15 fee.