417 Global Posts
    The Mossberg review of the Pre is here:

Palm's New Pre Takes On iPhone - WSJ.com
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    Wow! Thanks a lot for the heads up!
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Heh Keegsta, my post beat Gekko's by 1 minute!
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I would definitely say the review is very mixed. Poor battery life, crashes, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Damn Gekko, you got a 24/7 Pre news feed going? Thanks.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
  7.    #7  
    sheesh. that was like watching a hostage video. was Big Moss drugged?

http://online.wsj.com/video/mossberg...089CE0308.html
    The only downside he had was the limited number of applications in the Apps Catalog!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by hbg View Post
    Actually Gekko's was ahead by a millisecond.
    Walt has a serious issue about Apps.. Pretty sad he doesnt even mention that you can run all of the legacy palm apps. Plus regarding battery life I wonder if he knew about the Google and AOL bug that was stated in another article I posted.
    no facebook app? I thought this was confirmed.
    Wow, another nice, and IMO fair, review. Almost glowing for a guy who has loved the iPhone for the past 2 years. I guess Walt is "back" just like Palm!
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    All of his negatives other than battery life revolve around software issues which in time can be remedied.
    Mossberg's review is out:

I can't post the link because of the arcane forum reviews. It is on the Wall Street Journal site and will be in tomorrow's paper.
    In fact, during my testing, one of my downloads from the App Catalog caused my Pre to crash disastrously -- all my email, contacts and other data were wiped out, and the phone was unable to connect to the Sprint network or Wi-Fi. Palm conceded the catastrophe was due to problems it still has getting the App Catalog to work with the phone's internal memory, and explained that this is one reason it hasn't widely distributed the developer tools.
    Uh oh.
  16.    #16  
    But the Pre has a few other important downsides. Battery life between charges is relatively weak. While it's in line with competitors with a claimed five hours of talk time, and matches the iPhone's claimed five hours of Web surfing time, it offers only half the iPhone's 24 hours of continuous music playback and claims just five hours of video playback, versus seven for the iPhone.

In my testing, the Pre mostly made it through the day without running out of juice. But on at least one day, it died in midafternoon, even though I was using Wi-Fi most of that day and not the power-hungry cellphone network. Unlike the iPhone, the Pre does include a removable battery. Extras cost about $50.

i think Moss and Pogue underestimated their usage. and of course using WIFI all day is going to suck the battery dry - no surprise there.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by hbg View Post
    we share the glory.
    Wow thanks for the links! I really think that's a great, fair, review.
    Totally blown away. I was expecting Moss to be the most negative of them all. Very pleasantly surprised. This is the first review so far that has actual legitimate gripes, rather than half baked iphone fanboy gripes.
    Pretty fair review except for comparing the App Store on day one of a new product\OS to the others. How many apps did the iPhone or BB have on day one? Plus he didnt mention the option of using "classic" for old Palm OS apps.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast