Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Totally blown away. I was expecting Moss to be the most negative of them all. Very pleasantly surprised. This is the first review so far that has actual legitimate gripes, rather than half baked iphone fanboy gripes.
    Yep, +1 for Mossturd for being semi-honest. I still don't buy the crashing bits.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    No stupid "sharp enough to cut cheese" comment in here. lol. Very positive review from someone who's been known to be an Apple fan.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    In my testing, the Pre mostly made it through the day without running out of juice. But on at least one day, it died in midafternoon, even though I was using Wi-Fi most of that day and not the power-hungry cellphone network.
    C'mon Walt, everyone knows that WiFi uses waaay more battery juice than the cellular radio. Aside from that boneheaded comment, I thought his review was fair and honest, and overall pretty complimentary for a guy who's a bit of an Apple fan.
    Wow, I'm actually pretty impressed with this review. It wasn't super biased like I was expecting. The crashing thing REALLY scares me though......good thing it backs itself up every night!
  5.    #25  
    Moss did not look good under those lights!
  6. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I am delighted.
    "But on at least one day, it died in midafternoon, even though I was using Wi-Fi most of that day and not the power-hungry cellphone network."

Bass ackwards...
    It's easy to forgot that the iPhone launched with exactly "0" third party apps and no app store. The App store did not come along until 13 months after the original iPhone launch. So Apple took an extra 13 months to get the bugs worked out before they launched the 3rd party app store. Palm certainly has to get the bugs worked out there, but as stated early, this is a software issue to be knocked off iteratively, not a hardware or OS limitation (cut and paste, anyone?) that will have to wait.

With that said, the Pre does not get a free pass, because it IS competing against an incumbent with a monster and largely stable app store running. So what was okay two years ago, doesn't make the grade in current competitive environment.

Also of note relative to launch: Apple sold 270,000 iPhones during the original June 2007 launch weekend. So those calling Palm "inept" for only having 200,000 - 400,000 available on June 6th apparently have selective memory...
    The biggest problem with this review, as well as what I've seen of the (oustanding so far) Precentral review, is this: now I'm absolutely DYING to get my Pre. And I have this nagging feeling that there won't be one for me on Saturday.

Horrors!

Edit: Also, I do think that the Mossberg review was both decently and fairly done, and was incredibly positive. To hear him say that the Pre "could give the iPhone a run for its money" is very high praise given the iPhone's dominant position in the market.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotToTreo View Post
    It's easy to forgot that the iPhone launched with exactly "0" third party apps and no app store. The App store did not come along until 13 months after the original iPhone launch. So Apple took an extra 13 months to get the bugs worked out before they launched the 3rd party app store. Palm certainly has to get the bugs worked out there, but as stated early, this is a software issue to be knocked off iteratively, not a hardware or OS limitation (cut and paste, anyone?) that will have to wait.

With that said, the Pre does not get a free pass, because it IS competing against an incumbent with a monster and largely stable app store running. So what was okay two years ago, doesn't make the grade in current competitive environment.

Also of note relative to launch: Apple sold 270,000 iPhones during the original June 2007 launch weekend. So those calling Palm "inept" for only having 200,000 - 400,000 available on June 6th apparently have selective memory...
    very on point post
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    The biggest problem with this review, as well as what I've seen of the (oustanding so far) Precentral review, is this: now I'm absolutely DYING to get my Pre. And I have this nagging feeling that there won't be one for me on Saturday.

Horrors!
    I agree. And watching these videos is making it worse. I have stopped watching the review videos for my sanities sake.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Yep, +1 for Mossturd for being semi-honest. I still don't buy the crashing bits.
    You think he made it up?
    Two points on Walts review:

1. His article and the accompanying video are very different in tone.

2. Most interesting is what he didn't say about the forthcoming new iPhone.
    Professionally, he signed an NDA agreement with Apple while he's testing out the new iPhone. I got it. Standard operating procedure. But personally, I felt his video hedges: wait to make a Pre purchase until after you see what Apple delivers next week. Will the new iPhone leapfrog the Pre?

Has there ever been a more exciting week in the smartphone market than the one that starts this Saturday?

Lawrence
    Quote Originally Posted by Skysurfer View Post
    Two points on Walts review:

1. His article and the accompanying video are very different in tone.

2. Most interesting is what he didn't say about the forthcoming new iPhone.
    Professionally, he signed an NDA agreement with Apple while he's testing out the new iPhone. I got it. Standard operating procedure. But personally, I felt his video hedges: wait to make a Pre purchase until after you see what Apple delivers next week. Will the new iPhone leapfrog the Pre?

Has there ever been a more exciting week in the smartphone market than the one that starts this Saturday?

Lawrence
    You don't think that waiting to see what Apple has is solid advice for everyone but the biggest Palm/Sprint fan?
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy View Post
    You think he made it up?
    I didn't say that but I think that is might be exaggerated a bit and we all know he is quite bias in his reviews.

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Which app do we think made Walt's Pre allegedly crash (and I stress "allegedly")?
    Quote Originally Posted by kmod View Post
    Which app do we think made Walt's Pre allegedly crash (and I stress "allegedly")?
    The only one I can think of is a crash/soft reset in classic LOL.

Yeah, I can see Walt encountering a crash or something and not knowing it was user failure that caused it.

In Palm's defense, they've made the app-store beta for the time being. I think that's a pretty fair warning that sometimes the best intentions go awry with that. Plus, you can always restore from the automated nightly backups.
    Palm III -> Visor Prism -> Dell Axim X30 Hi -> HTC Apache -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch Pro

Ev-Do Rev. A Tethered on my TP:
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdtalker View Post
    Plus, you can always restore from the automated nightly backups.
    Boy am I happy Palm finally integrated backups.

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kmod View Post
    You people are worse than Apple fanboys. Seriously.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast