1.    #1  
    I made it my mission today to get some hands on Pre time. The two Best Buys near my house had dummy units. I played around with both for awhile. I then when to the 1 non-corporate Sprint store in my area. I got about 10 minutes of hands on time with a live unit. As many know here I am a huge iPhone lover. My random thoughts follow.......

Its far smaller than I ever thought it would be, even after everybody said here that its tiny. The Centro looks big next to it.

Build quality is great. It didn't feel plasticy or cheap. It did feel very light though but I think thats a good thing.

I thought the keyboard was ok (better than I thought it would be). I liked the dedicated "." button. The only problem I had is I had a very hard time hitting the "a" button. My finger would constantly come into contact with the left side of the slider. Treo owners will probably love the keyboard. Iphone owners will probably hate the keyboard.

The screen is small. IPhone users that like to watch a lot of movies might not want to make the switch, or they might want to supplement with a Apple Touch device. The quality of the display though was really nice. Those pixels are packed in really tight but look great.

Since the OS multitasks it feels a lot more alive than the iPhone OS. Kind of hard to explain but things feel like they are happening more than when I use my iPhone.

Didn't get to check out the browser.

I liked the email client a lot. Apple, please copy.

Overall, I think the Pre and the iPhone are not really direct competitors. I think the iPhone is the ultimate media device. My thoughts did not change after having hands on time with the Pre. I do like the WebOS and think it will make a great communications device. I am looking forward to picking one up friday night.
    good preview! cant wait to get my jew hands on it this saturday!
    Mike (FOOmanJEW) Jaret-Schachter
    Running With Scissors
    Producer
    www.runningwithscissors.com
    www.twitter.com/mikejaret
    Thanks, Moby. I thought the iPhone screen was tiny at first coming from watchimg UMD movies on the PSP. You adjust. Or at least I did.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Overall, I think the Pre and the iPhone are not really direct competitors. I think the iPhone is the ultimate media device. My thoughts did not change after having hands on time with the Pre. I do like the WebOS and think it will make a great communications device. I am looking forward to picking one up friday night.
    This is really how I see it-- I still think the iPhone / iPod Touch are overall better designed for music / movies / games, though it does a lot of other things well. The Pre's strengths should be in communication / organization, with music, movies, etc. being perks. Screen has to be better than watching a widescreen movie on my Treo 650 the last time I tried, haha.

Thanks for your input. I haven't used a Pre yet, but I do own an iPod Touch and guess my conclusion would be similar.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Thanks, Moby. I thought the iPhone screen was tiny at first coming from watchimg UMD movies on the PSP. You adjust. Or at least I did.
    This thing is real small. Pictures don't do it justice. My biggest concerns are the keyboard and battery. The store I demoed it in had a touchstone. I have to admit, I found it quite cool.
    hehe... jew hands.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikejaret View Post
    good preview! cant wait to get my jew hands on it this saturday!
    I was happy to get my Catholic hands on it.
    shut up poooh! lets go to temple!
    Mike (FOOmanJEW) Jaret-Schachter
    Running With Scissors
    Producer
    www.runningwithscissors.com
    www.twitter.com/mikejaret
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    Is 3.5" really big enough to watch movies and 3.1" isn't? They both suck and shouldn't be used to "watch" movies. I can't stand how the iPhone can't load more than one webpage at once...that will be my biggest "love" of the Pre.
    Phone: 700p > Pre
    PMP: Archos 605 (30GB) and iPod Touch (16GB)
    just as long as you don't make me drink the manoschevitz please... kiddish is bad enough.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by sub150 View Post
    Is 3.5" really big enough to watch movies and 3.1" isn't? They both suck and shouldn't be used to "watch" movies. I can't stand how the iPhone can't load more than one webpage at once...that will be my biggest "love" of the Pre.
    My opinion is the iPhone screen looks and feels huge next to the Pre. Though, some people will love the tiny Pre for this very reason. Two very different devices.
  12. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    I'm having the same battery concerns. I'll make the appropriate adjustments to the settings to optimize the battery life. I might also get a spare battery (in addition to touchstone). Hopefully, that'll take care of it. I just hope its comparable to my Curve. Blackberry spoiled me with battery life expectations....
    my impression is that it uses same batt as centro, if so, i will have 3 batts. more than enough..
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    It has been a pleasant read. Thanks man.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Overall, I think the Pre and the iPhone are not really direct competitors. I think the iPhone is the ultimate media device.
    I'm not ready to cede Ultimate Media Device to iPhone just yet. I'll wait and see what I think when I get the Pre. Pre does seem to offer some improvements over the iPhone in the media department, including 3 MP camera instead of 2 MP, camera flash, camera mirror, multimedia messaging service (MMS), (supposedly, coming soon after launch) video recording, and Sprint TV. It might all turn out to be not worth trumpeting these features, but I'm going to keep an open mind.