View Poll Results: Sprint Limited Data Plans will hurt Pre success?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 28.36%
  • No

48 71.64%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Do you think that Sprint not having a data plan add-on as an option will hurt the success of the Pre?
    Nope. The only thing that would have hurt them was allowing people to buy a Pre without a data plan and then dealing with the wailing and gnashing of teeth when nothing worked or people were charged hundreds of dollars in data overages.
    They would do better with the ability to add data a la carte as most family plan users don't need data on all the lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    Nope. The only thing that would have hurt them was allowing people to buy a Pre without a data plan and then dealing with the wailing and gnashing of teeth when nothing worked or people were charged hundreds of dollars in data overages.
    Agreed. 100%.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    They would do better with the ability to add data a la carte as most family plan users don't need data on all the lines.
    Yep - that's my problem. The Pre would cost me $50 a month for data - $35 more than I'm paying now. They are forcing us to pay for data on ALL lines. I think it will hurt - but just a little.

t
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    With all of the text and web enabled phones out there I beg to differ. I've used data ever since I was on a Sanyo flip phone even though it was clearly no smart phone. Considering how many kids text these days and how many people use GPS and even basic web access, I would think that even the family plans are pretty competitive.

I guess some folks may end up spending a little more than they do now but I'm moving up to a shared plan and it's still the same price as my old plan with data plus my gf's non-data plan on Verizon combined.

Is it possible to have your Pre on one plan and their barebones shared plan separate? Also look into the employer and credit union discounts. You can get the new plans down pretty low.
    I agree with Neodorian. Even if they offered it a la carte, by the time you add everything up, you'd most likely be paying close to one of the everything plans anyway.
    Nope. The Pre is just too hot, and the data plan deals are still good buys.
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    My thoughts exactly. They would shoot themselves in the foot if they let pre customers run up data charges to hundreds of dollars. Especially new customers with the 30 day test drive. I would imagine with web os always being online it would rack up pretty high data charges
    Vis
    ^Agreed about it being a good thing to force everyone onto unlimited data plans. Sprint's plans are still the best deal on the market.

And really, I think keeping it simple is a good move as well. You want a pre? They have 3 individual plans. More than 1 phone? They have 3 family plans. All unlimited text, data, GPS, etc, with varying levels of anytime minutes. Sure, you can get fancy and go dig up how to get the EPRP/newSERO/whatever, but really, they keep it simple for you in general.

As for people who want data on a pre and share a family plan with a phone that doesn't need data, don't you think your family members would liek a new phone as well? I know I would be upset if my family member just got the brand new pre and I was stuck with some old flip phone with no coolness or even the ability to get on the internet. Come on, got your family some nicer phones!
    I've never had Sprint, but I have seen their rates. If you compare their rates to others, you'll see they are really good rates.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

yes go try to find a better deal elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I've never had Sprint, but I have seen their rates. If you compare their rates to others, you'll see they are really good rates.
    Their rates are equally important in my decision to bold from AT&T. I will be cutting my monthly bill by 1/3. I do like the freedom GSM offers as far as popping a SIM card in a phone and it's up and running, but for an awesome mobile like the Pre, I doubt I'll want to switch.

I have found that with my current BlackBerry Bold, I do switch off to other handsets (both BlackBerry and non-BlackBerry) but almost immediately switch back. The great experiments only last a matter of hours until I miss this feature or that from the Bold. So, judging by my own personal patterns of usage, this great benefit of GSM devices isn't so great for me in real world terms. One of those things that sounds cool but isn't as super as it sounds.
    At first I was pretty upset that I was going to be forced to change my plan, but it turns out that I'm only going to be paying about $20 more a month. Yes it is a little bit more, but now I have UNLIMITED EVERTHING for all 4 lines on my account. If you ask me, that's a bargain. Especially knowing that I will never have overage charges for one of my parents accidentally getting on the internet. AND, I have a line that I'm not using which expires in November which I will then cancel and be paying the same amount that I was before I changed my plan. All in all; it works for me!
    that had to be the singlest funny thing about all the whining and threatening posts. Well if they don't give me what I want, I'll just go to AT&T and buy the iPhone. That'll show'em. I mean the the thought process of that is just astonishing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    yes go try to find a better deal elsewhere.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    if AT&T's insanely high rate plans without text messaging didnt hurt the iPhone Sprints more affordable plans arent going to hurt the Pre.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Visualfx View Post
    My thoughts exactly. They would shoot themselves in the foot if they let pre customers run up data charges to hundreds of dollars. Especially new customers with the 30 day test drive. I would imagine with web os always being online it would rack up pretty high data charges
    Were not taking about per kb - just an unlimited data add-on.

I remember when I used to pay for Vision (1xRTT). Then Power Vision (EVDO) was came out and was more per month, but could still be an add on.

If it was just a little more a month, I would gladly pay it. But it will cost me $50 per month for data. I just don't think I can swing that.

The individual everything plans are a great deal. The family ones - not so much. They are pretty much on par with the other carriers.

t
  18. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Negative. What's worse? A plan with unlimited data, comparable with other web-centric devices on other carriers, or customers paying hundreds of dollars in data overages because they didn't get the correct plan?
    My problem with it is the family plan. I have to get an unlimited data for two lines even though I just want the pre for one (double the price of the individual plan). And then all the extra lines are 20 instead of 10? It is going to take me from paying 80 a month to 130. That sucks. If I were on AT&T I can get my wife a dumb phone and add the iphone for about 100.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Negative. What's worse? A plan with unlimited data, comparable with other web-centric devices on other carriers, or customers paying hundreds of dollars in data overages because they didn't get the correct plan?
    Again, were not talking about per kb. Were talking about an unlimited data add-on.

First there was Vision (1xRTT)
    Then PowerVision (EVDO)
    Now "UberVision" or whatever (EVDO RevA)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast