View Poll Results: Sprint Limited Data Plans will hurt Pre success?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 28.36%
  • No

48 71.64%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by lugose View Post
    My problem with it is the family plan. I have to get an unlimited data for two lines even though I just want the pre for one (double the price of the individual plan). And then all the extra lines are 20 instead of 10? It is going to take me from paying 80 a month to 130. That sucks. If I were on AT&T I can get my wife a dumb phone and add the iphone for about 100.
    I am in the same boat - I have 3 lines and will soon add a 4th (Everything Messaging Share Plan) and I am the only one that really needs data. But I had to upgrade for the Pre (just did it today). $119 to $149 - so $30 more a month. However, we do get Sprint Navigation now for all lines and there is no way in heck you could touch a similar plan at ATT or Verizon for $150 - I think it would be closer to $200+.

So I am spending a little more, but as I have always said to the SERO folks - if you want to play, you gotta pay!
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Personally, I don't like the wording of the poll. There are folks that are not going to get the Pre because they don't want to give up their SERO. So, that hurts the Pre. However, it doesn't hurt Sprint (Sprint loses nothing in that situation). However, I feel that overall, the requirement is a good one for Sprint. They are offering a "reward" for those that get the new Data Everything plans - the new hot phone that really does need unlimited data.

And I suspect that in some cases, they (Sprint) are going to lose some loss-leader customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Personally, I don't like the wording of the poll. There are folks that are not going to get the Pre because they don't want to give up their SERO. So, that hurts the Pre. However, it doesn't hurt Sprint (Sprint loses nothing in that situation). However, I feel that overall, the requirement is a good one for Sprint. They are offering a "reward" for those that get the new Data Everything plans - the new hot phone that really does need unlimited data.

And I suspect that in some cases, they (Sprint) are going to lose some loss-leader customers.
    You're missing the point of the poll. Sprint's plan requirements are adversely affecting Palm's handset sales. Whether you the think the lost sales from older plan holders (SERO and non-SERO alike) will be significant enough to deem worthy of 'hurting' sales, that's the question they're looking to have answered.
    I think the longer description in the original post is poorly written. At first I wasn't sure if he was talking about not offering an added tethering option or an "unlimited data" add-on for regular plans. Apparently, it's the latter, but there are people (such as myself with SERO) who already have unlimited data, so not having an "add on" for people like us is not the problem. The simple question in the poll itself seem straightforward enough, though.

Personally, I think that there are several factors that will hurt Palm's pre sales (in no particular order):

- Inability for existing Sprint customers on older plans w/unlimited data to keep current plan (I suspect that this is a small number of people in the grand scheme of things but a very vocal group).

- The expectation of next-gen Apple iPhone hardware being announced soon (here I think that many are wisely waiting to see what, if anything, gets announced).

- Palm/Sprint's inability to get the same level of buzz generated that Apple did (despite their many efforts to manufacture buzz).

- The pre's very small 3rd party app library, with unclear expectations as to how many more will come and what quality they'll be (I for one am not happy about Palm getting cozy with their select group of developers and giving them access to low-level stuff while giving the masses only the HTML/JavaScript development access).

- The general opinion from non-Sprint users (or former Sprint users) that Sprint sucks (which is unfounded in my opinion, but I keep reading it everywhere).
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
    I think the longer description in the original post is poorly written. At first I wasn't sure if he was talking about not offering an added tethering option or an "unlimited data" add-on for regular plans. Apparently, it's the latter
    It was indeed the latter. This is the first time that unlimited data is not offered as an add-on. The individual everything plans are very well priced (granted not as good as SERO - but very competitive with other carriers). However, the family everything plans are not so great. They are forcing data on ALL lines of the plan making it no better than plans from other carriers.

I would happily pay more (even $25 or $30 per month) for a separate unlimited EVDO Rev A add-on. But I just can't see paying $50 a month for data on 4 lines when we only need/want it on one.

t
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12