Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    I currently have a blackberry storm and I hate it. It is the worst PDA ever designed. I love the way the palm Pre looks but my only concern is email. Is Palm as good with emails, text, and data as blackberry is? Does palm have the PUSH technology that blackberry has and that apple is going to have?
    The Pre has push Gmail (and push for any other email provider that supports IMAP Idle) and at some point will also implement the "Mogo Messaging Service" that will bring push notifications to applications.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaCA View Post
    I currently have a blackberry storm and I hate it. It is the worst PDA ever designed. I love the way the palm Pre looks but my only concern is email. Is Palm as good with emails, text, and data as blackberry is? Does palm have the PUSH technology that blackberry has and that apple is going to have?
    I need answers people!
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    The Pre has push Gmail (and push for any other email provider that supports IMAP Idle) and at some point will also implement the "Mogo Messaging Service" that will bring push notifications to applications.
    So I should not notice a difference in my emails, messaging, or data. Good! When does the palm pre come to verizon?
    Is Palm as good with emails, text, and data as blackberry is? Does palm have the PUSH technology that blackberry has and that apple is going to have?
    Well, yes and no.

Basically, it depends. If you're using an Exchange server then you get Exchange ActiveSync push via the Pre. Even better, is unlike the Blackberry, there's no intermediary with your emails. (For Blackberries, emails get sent to RIM's servers before they go out to your ISP to be sent to your phone.)

If you're not using an Exchange server, there's IMAP Idle, which is a special command that some IMAP servers have that gives it pseudo-push capabilities. As a user, you'll probably notice absolutely no difference with this, and it appears the Pre supports the command.

Regular IMAP without the Idle commands, and POP3 (which, for the record, NOBODY should be using if they plan on checking email from multiple locations such as a smartphone and a computer) rely on pulling the messages however.

However, Palm has also stated they'll have a Mojo Messaging Service eventually which seems to be very similar to Apple's upcoming 'push notification' setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Well, yes and no.

Basically, it depends. If you're using an Exchange server then you get Exchange ActiveSync push via the Pre. Even better, is unlike the Blackberry, there's no intermediary with your emails. (For Blackberries, emails get sent to RIM's servers before they go out to your ISP to be sent to your phone.)

If you're not using an Exchange server, there's IMAP Idle, which is a special command that some IMAP servers have that gives it pseudo-push capabilities. As a user, you'll probably notice absolutely no difference with this, and it appears the Pre supports the command.

Regular IMAP without the Idle commands, and POP3 (which, for the record, NOBODY should be using if they plan on checking email from multiple locations such as a smartphone and a computer) rely on pulling the messages however.

However, Palm has also stated they'll have a Mojo Messaging Service eventually which seems to be very similar to Apple's upcoming 'push notification' setup.
    Yeah, you nailed it.

Basically, Gmail and Exchange: There will be PUSH. POP3: manual/automatic sync.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Palm has threaded texting, and on my Curve it only have history texting, it doesn't save the whole text conversation like an IM chat, but the Pre will. This is an upgrade from Blackberry.

Data is great on Sprint. The Pre's browser kills the Storm's. So this is an upgrade from Blackberry.

As far as email, Gmail is push, others should be soon but as of now only Gmail is push. If you use Gmail, this is just as good as a blackberry. If you don't, it's a downgrade.
    Since At&T lower the Price of the Blackberry Bold and if I dont get a Pre Saturday I might just head over to At&T and pick 1 up.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    What exactly is this? I haven't heard anything about this. Isn't the only reason the iphone is using "push notifications" because it doesn't allow programs to run in the background? Why would this type of notification system be necessary on the pre?

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zmerahn View Post
    What exactly is this? I haven't heard anything about this. Isn't the only reason the iphone is using "push notifications" because it doesn't allow programs to run in the background? Why would this type of notification system be necessary on the pre?
    http://www.precentral.net/mojo-messa...more-just-push
    When does the palm pre come to verizon?
    End of the year or Q1 '10, probably. Sprint has it for 6 months, so technically that means Verizon could have it for Christmas.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    ill be sad to see bbm go, but slow leaky OS's that ahvent been updated in 5 years....gooooodbye!
    Mike (FOOmanJEW) Jaret-Schachter
    Running With Scissors
    Producer
    www.runningwithscissors.com
    www.twitter.com/mikejaret
    I'll be sad to see bbm go as well..But everything else about the storm I can and will be able to live without..
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Like I said, they should call the storm the natural disaster.
    Global Posts
    381 Global Posts
    I am switching from a Curve to the Pre. If I had a Storm, I would absolutely change, but the only reason I am hesitant (though, I am changing) is the keyboard size. But it looks like the Pre will do everything that my Curve does.
    From the Reuters Pre review:

Palm's Pre shines in ways, not in others by Reuters: Yahoo! Tech

"Another treat is alerts containing the first line of new, incoming messages, which appear at the bottom of the screen whatever you might be doing: messaging, Web-surfing or gaming.

This may be a welcome change from, say, checking your message when BlackBerry's flashing red-light alert appears.

But, for email, Pre does not seem to provide the alerts. It was easy to set up Gmail but to get new email, you tap on the inbox tab and wait several seconds to view it, whether the email was short or included heavy attachments.

This may deter those looking for a BlackBerry alternative. But they may be happy to hear that once an email is open, it is very easy to download a word document or a PDF. To magnify the text, spread two pinched fingers apart on the screen."

One thing I like about my BB Flip is one click access to all my emails in the integrated inbox. The Pre has an integrated inbox, but from what I see it takes two presses to get to it, once on mail, then again on the inbox. Like many I do this repeatedly all day every day, so it's a plus for the BB and a minus for the Pre. Also, from the reviews thus far, there doesn't seem to be a keyboard shortcut.
    I would go with the pre for the simple fact that there is nothing innovative about Blackberry. The OS is slow, clunky, and while I had my 7130, 8130, and 8330 it was very unstable. Almost a reset every 12 hours (at least twice a day). Now I am a power user and so I pushed it hard. I finally dropped it and went back to WinMo. I was going to do a touch pro 2 after my treo pro but now I am going to get a pre.... Blackberry is good for Phone and email, thats it. It has very limited capabilities and is underpowered (The main reason for its good bat life). If you want more from your device, I would go pre.

Most people I know who got the storm decided that it was crap within 2 weeks of owning it. Someone also told me that you get used to it, I asked them how you get used to crap?
    Devices: Blackberry 7130, 8130, 8330, HTC Touch Pro, Treo 600, 700wx, Pro, Palm Pre