Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    Thanks jhoff80.

Sorry just a couple more questions and I'll quit, I promise!

1. What happens if one creates a route to a location with no cell coverage while in a location with cell coverage (and presumably some map information gets transferred to the phone)? When you get close to the destination does the Pre continue to give you directions (via stand-alone GPS capability) or does it simply stop navigating?

2. Really, not even the Bluetooth support needed to communicate with an external GPS unit, like the Treos have? (Or is that done by custom BT support that comes with the GPS software from Garmin, TomTom, etc.?)
    For 1, I just tried to replicate the issue by creating a route, and turning on airplane mode, and it told me that Sprint Navigator was dependent on GPS signal and an internet connection and to turn airplane mode off to get it to work properly again. I wasn't actually going anywhere so I can't tell what would happen when traveling, but it did flash a satellite with the "No" symbol in front of it, so I think it might have lost the fix as soon as I put on airplane mode. I'm not sure if that's because airplane mode disables the GPS chip, or that it's tied to the cell radio or not.

However, the ##GPS# command is able to tell your latitude and longitude and therefore isn't dependent on the internet like all of the other location-based applications. It might be a bit of a bad sign that in airplane mode when I put the phone near a window where my old Bluetooth receivers can get a fix, the Pre GPS doesn't get a fix (again, in airplane mode).

I have good Sprint coverage in my area, so unfortunately that's the best I can do to test.

As for number 2, Bluetooth GPS units use the Serial Port Profile to connect to other devices. The Pre supports Personal Area Network, Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP), Hands-Free Profile/Head-Set Profile, Phone Book Access Profile, and Audio-Video Remote Control Profile.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    Thanks jhoff80.

Sorry just a couple more questions and I'll quit, I promise!

1. What happens if one creates a route to a location with no cell coverage while in a location with cell coverage (and presumably some map information gets transferred to the phone)? When you get close to the destination does the Pre continue to give you directions (via stand-alone GPS capability) or does it simply stop navigating?

2. Really, not even the Bluetooth support needed to communicate with an external GPS unit, like the Treos have? (Or is that done by custom BT support that comes with the GPS software from Garmin, TomTom, etc.?)
    #1. This is what I want to know, thanks. This is a great thread btw! As a frequent geocacher and car gps user I want to know more.

I frequently have to drive out of NYC for hours at a time and find my cell phone coverage is lost at times. I would hate to lose my pre gps as well as that would truly leave me LOST! I guess I'll keep my own Garmin in the dash for now.

Also, does anyone know of a car holder that doesn't block the charging port/hole for the pre? I saw some nifty DIY jobs on other threads where people were using the touchstones but that is too much work for me. I like the vent holder precentral sells for 20 bucks but it appears to block the charging port.

Also, is it true that both the cig lighter and a a usb on a car radio won't keep up with the charging demand on a pre while using GPS or other demanding apps?

THANKS!
    Last edited by jbrowland; 06/11/2009 at 10:47 AM.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I've actually been pondering writing a Geocaching app when the SDK goes public. Trying to decide whether it's worth it without being "in" with Groundspeak. They have TOS that limit what you can do regarding automatically accessing the site (as in, "don't"). Could definitely do something pretty cool, but would probably require you to get a Pocket Query or GPX file to load locally. Given the restrictions of having to load files like you would into a regular GPS, is that something you'd be interested in?
    Thanks jhoff80.

So it seems that the GPS chip is in there and thus someone (Garmin, TomTom, etc.) COULD port their existing apps (and map databases) over to the Pre and you'd have a stand-alone navigation system for remote areas or foreign countries without having to carry a separate BT receiver.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if the "Airplane mode" disables the GPS chip; even though it's just a receiver, not a transmitter, officially you're not allowed to use your personal GPS devices on commercial airplanes.

Also kinda surprised that the Pre doesn't have the BT Serial Port Profile that a lot of older devices have, but I guess you can't have everything on a Version 1.0 device.
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxFireX View Post
    I've actually been pondering writing a Geocaching app when the SDK goes public. Trying to decide whether it's worth it without being "in" with Groundspeak. They have TOS that limit what you can do regarding automatically accessing the site (as in, "don't"). Could definitely do something pretty cool, but would probably require you to get a Pocket Query or GPX file to load locally. Given the restrictions of having to load files like you would into a regular GPS, is that something you'd be interested in?
    I would be interested in a pre geocaching app. Check with TOM who wrote GCzII it uses a page parser. dunno if he has permission or not but his windows mobile app is awesome.

NICQUE Freeware
    treo 90 > treo 300 > treo 600 > treo 650 > motorola Q > instinct > treo pro > Whats next???? PRE?
    I wold love to see a geocashing app. I currently use geoniche with my Centro and a bluetooth GPS unit. I download the loc file and then convert them to a file that syncs them.. I use it all the time. I know I have forgotten the bluetooth receiver a ton of times... I would love to have an all in one unit....
    I too would love to see a geocaching app for the Pre. Let me know if I can help as I have some contacts with Groundspeak and work with them in various ways.
    I would also love a Geocaching app. I don't mind carrying around my GPS unit so I basically want to go paperless, but not have to worry about not having signal to look at gc.com. I wonder if Cachemate or some other PalmOS program would work.

Update: Well, CacheMate does not work with Classic. It causes the wonderful blue screen.
    Last edited by artitumis; 07/02/2009 at 03:46 PM.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by artitumis View Post
    I wonder if Cachemate or some other PalmOS program would work.
    I can confirm that Cachemate works via Classic, although I have to configure it a little differently since there's no SD card. Takes a tiny bit more effort, but cache descriptions are definitely available.

In other news, I'm at least starting to try to get some ideas together for a native app. I know there are leaked SDKs floating around, but I'd like to get in on the official program before doing serious development. Definitely been reading up on the O'Reilly book, though; it's a different environment, but it looks like there's some pretty cool stuff that can be done. Can't wait for them to open this thing up.
    I can confirm that Cachemate works via Classic, although I have to configure it a little differently since there's no SD card. Takes a tiny bit more effort, but cache descriptions are definitely available.
    Could you provide step by step instructions for installation? I tried and blue screened as I said in my edit up top. That'll work for me until you can get a native app developed. Let me know if you would like help with it and I'll do what I can.
    Do you think there would be a way to work with the data via the pocket quarries and then sync that to the Pre?
    I would be very interested! Even if it was just interfacting google maps with geocache way points. Something that can just get me close would be much better than nothing. I'm not interested in using the classic emulator and using an old palm app. I would love to see soemthing that rivals the iphone or blackberry app, but any thing would do at this point. If you come up with something I would be more that happy to float you a donation or pay you directly for it. There are also several threads in the geocaching forums where Pre users are asking about a geocaching app, so I'm sure you would have more than enough takers if you advertise correctly.
    I would also be interested.
    I would love a geoaching app
    Yes this is a much needed app. There is one for the iPhone that they tout on the geocaching site, maybe those guys can write on for the Pre.
    Definitely does have it's own GPS radio. I opened google to preload my local map into cache. Proceeded to put the phone into airplane mode, and walked around the neighborhood. It tracked me as I walked everywhere, even tracking me as I walked from one side of the alley to the other.

Awesomeness. And for those that think it's cell tower only. It appears that the initial small blue dot with the wide circle, is the cell tower triangulator, and then a few seconds later it connects to the satellites and pops up with the exact location.
    Ok all you WebOS developers, the Mojo SDK is live and I need a geocaching app, like yesterday.

http://www.precentral.net/palm-releases-mojo-sdk
    I found my first cache last Friday using numbers only. Now the dial turns. More to come.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    markpowers, can I help test!
    I would love to beta test 2 : D
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast