Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Looks like David Pogue finally got his review of the Pre out:

Palm’s credible challenge to the iPhone | mydigitalfc.com
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    It's a fair and balanced review and he seemed to love it (except for the battery). Shows why he's a NYT writer and not a blogger like BoyGenius.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbpooch View Post
    Looks like David Pogue finally got his review of the Pre out:

Palm’s credible challenge to the iPhone | mydigitalfc.com
    Interesting how he shafts Sprint in the article. Sprint really is the weak spot for this phone.
    Wow that is very good that Poque likes it, he's a hardcore apple guy too.

The ringer not being loud I can live with. The only thing worrying me now is the battery life issue. It can't be worse then my HTC touch can it? He did mention he lived in a spot where sprint coverage is poor, so that could have a lot to do with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardHowl View Post
    Wow that is very good that Poque likes it, he's a hardcore apple guy too.

The ringer not being loud I can live with. The only thing worrying me now is the battery life issue. It can't be worse then my HTC touch can it? He did mention he lived in a spot where sprint coverage is poor, so that could have a lot to do with it.
    This is an issue with all CDMA phones if they go in and out of EV-DO coverage. It kills battery life.

Still, we'll have to wait and see how it really performs when lots of people get them and start playing with them.
    Excellent review - one of the best yet. C'mon Saturday!
    Nice.

Pogue has always been a nice Palm friend. He gave the Centro a pretty good review too.

some contra points he made:
    - battery life: indeed signal strength is an important factor
    - iPhone is still easier to use? i doubt that. It may be harder to learn but a lot of Palm's shortcuts are really very user-friendly.
    My goodness, This part better not be true............

On days when I used the Pre a lot, the battery was dead by late afternoon. On days when I used it only occasionally, it was dead by dinnertime. Yikes.
    Nice article.
    Actually I just noticed he never even mentioned synergy once. Isn't this one of the main points about this phone? No matter how positive the review is, it still fails to mention a key feature!

Oh well, at least the Pre is getting good press from a very credible reviewer.

EDIT: oops sorry my bad, he just never used the word synergy, but he does describe it.
    Last edited by WizardHowl; 06/03/2009 at 02:40 PM.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    My goodness, This part better not be true............
    I'm worried about the battery life too. But he goes on to say that it's probably due to bad coverage where he is.
    Very good review!
    Jimmie Geddes
    Actually I just noticed he never even mentioned synergy once. Isn't this one of the main points about this phone? No matter how positive the review is, it still fails to mention a key feature!

Oh well, at least the Pre is getting good press from a very credible reviewer.
    Sure he did, about three times...he just didn't use the 'S' word.
    This next part concerns me almost as much as the battery............

Opening certain programs can be very slow—sometimes 8 or 9 seconds
    and he puts ringer volume as a negative.
    Actually I just noticed he never even mentioned synergy once.
    He did, actually

The Pre consolidates these online agendas, presenting them all on a single, color-coded calendar.
    It does the same thing with your various online address books (Google, Outlook/Exchange, Facebook, AIM).
    You wind up with only one entry for, say, Snuffy Smith, containing all contact information from all sources.
    This part, however, concerns me:
    Opening certain programs can be very slowsometimes 8 or 9 secondsand theres no progress bar or hourglass to let you know that its still working
    Nicely written but one major error. He says CDMA phones won't work overseas. They do work in many countries but not Europe. Asia to Australia and S/Central Americas have CDMA and a few African countries.

I've used my Sprint Treo many times in Mexico, Belize and Guatemala, even data.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Why do people rag so much on Sprint's network? I've been a Sprint customer since 1998 and have always thought the coverage and (especially) data network is great. I live in downtown Chicago now and my wife as an AT&T iPhone and she has to stand out side just to text a message, the signal is so weak, yet I have never seen less than two bars on my Sprint phones anywhere in the city and usually its full strength. The 3G speeds on my HTC Touch Pro blow away her iPhone. Granted I use my phones more for data (internet, texting, email) than talking, and perhaps because of that I've always preferred Sprint's network to others. The only drawback is CDMA-only phones not working overseas, but I just use my wife's phone for that
    Am I the only person questioning the fact that the NY Times tech writer's review appears on mydigitalfc.com, "India's first global business networking platform", and not in the NY Times or anywhere else I could find?

Just asking...
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite View Post
    Nicely written but one major error. He says CDMA phones won't work overseas. They do work in many countries but not Europe. Asia to Australia and S/Central Americas have CDMA and a few African countries.

I've used my Sprint Treo many times in Mexico, Belize and Guatemala, even data.
    I dont need to cross any "seas" to get to Mexico.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    Interesting how he shafts Sprint in the article. Sprint really is the weak spot for this phone.
    IMO, ATT is really a weak spot for the iPhone. Again, all carriers are crap and all carriers are great, just depends on your point of view.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change - Darwin
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast