Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 86
  1. #61  
    I live in NNJ, close to NYC, I never have an issue with Sprint's network. I never drop calls, data is always on EV-DO. My iPhone 3G on the other hand drops calls frequently, and goes back and forth between 3G and EDGE without me even moving.

    This review means a lot to Palm, they needed this.
    Jimmie Geddes
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikest View Post
    bit of a buzz kill on the ringer. I know the centro's ringer was always low and Id hope'd they fix that on the pre but I'll live somehow.
    Really? My wife has a Centro, and the Ringer seems super loud to me!
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreytz View Post
    Why do people rag so much on Sprint's network? I've been a Sprint customer since 1998 and have always thought the coverage and (especially) data network is great. I live in downtown Chicago now and my wife as an AT&T iPhone and she has to stand out side just to text a message, the signal is so weak, yet I have never seen less than two bars on my Sprint phones anywhere in the city and usually its full strength. The 3G speeds on my HTC Touch Pro blow away her iPhone. Granted I use my phones more for data (internet, texting, email) than talking, and perhaps because of that I've always preferred Sprint's network to others. The only drawback is CDMA-only phones not working overseas, but I just use my wife's phone for that
    Thank you! I was wondering about Chicago coverage as I too have AT&T / iPhone and find it horrendus. I cannot get a signal in my home, and when I do, I still drop calls. A couple people at my office have Sprint and love it. I am thinking I'll be loving Sprint!
  4. frediev's Avatar
    Posts
    112 Posts
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    #64  
    BATTERY Everyone griped about the iPhone’s permanently-sealed battery.
    The Pre’s battery, however, is easy to swap

    Being able to swap out the battery for a fresh one is very good news. This phone is actually two different pieces and unlike any Treo's I have used and accessing the battery was not a given.
    600P, 700P, Current 800W
    Daughter Centro
    http://insidesprintnow.wordpress.com...elief-minutes/ The ultimate smartphone!!!!!!
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by northy014 View Post
    The formatting for the article was terrible, though, wasn't it. Difficult to read...
    Absolutely.

    Generally, I skip over the big block o' text posts and I almost did the same when I saw that article.

    At least he bothered to label sections. Funny how that helps.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  6. #66  
    I met David Pogue once, he's seemed like a really cool guy.
  7. #67  
    Why is that review formatted so terribly? It seems like everything was somehow stripped out which made it readable. Ugh.

    He doesn't like the ringer (I don't care, I find rings intrusive and use vibrate exclusively. In this day and age, I'm surprised everyone else doesn't too, except people with purses), he doesn't like battery life (again low coverage means battery gets eaten up faster), but he likes about everything else, and multitasking. Good news!
    Palm III -> Visor Prism -> Dell Axim X30 Hi -> HTC Apache -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch Pro

    Ev-Do Rev. A Tethered on my TP:
  8. Mikest's Avatar
    Posts
    429 Posts
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by sipperphoto View Post
    Really? My wife has a Centro, and the Ringer seems super loud to me!
    could depend more on the ringtone.
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdtalker View Post
    Why is that review formatted so terribly? It seems like everything was somehow stripped out which made it readable. Ugh.

    He doesn't like the ringer (I don't care, I find rings intrusive and use vibrate exclusively. In this day and age, I'm surprised everyone else doesn't too, except people with purses), he doesn't like battery life (again low coverage means battery gets eaten up faster), but he likes about everything else, and multitasking. Good news!
    we think it's a premature release. i don't care about the format - i'm glad we got a real review early from a legitimate source. i'm still waiting for Big Moss - i bet that'll come tomorrow since June 4 NDA ends.
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikest View Post
    could depend more on the ringtone.
    TINKERBELL?

    http://media.libsyn.com/media/treoce...t-ringtone.mp3
  11. Mikest's Avatar
    Posts
    429 Posts
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    yeah that'll be the first thing I change when I get my Pre
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    i'm still waiting for Big Moss - i bet that'll come tomorrow since June 4 NDA ends.
    Don't hold your breath, honestly, Mossturd will probably have spent two weeks getting geriatric care (after all the activity at D7, phew! ) instead of messing with the Pre.

    I'm waiting for some technical sites to do more objective reviews, and do a side by side numerical comparison with the other camps offerings. How well does it browse? How fast? Run speedtests at mobilespeedtest.com. How well do they score in the Acid2 and Acid3 tests? What feature intensive sites fail to render on each? None of this "oh it feels great, works in my market" or "the ringer is too quiet for me" nonsense which is subjective and purely a function of factors which aren't ever repeatable.
    Palm III -> Visor Prism -> Dell Axim X30 Hi -> HTC Apache -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch Pro

    Ev-Do Rev. A Tethered on my TP:
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreytz View Post
    Why do people rag so much on Sprint's network? I've been a Sprint customer since 1998 and have always thought the coverage and (especially) data network is great. I live in downtown Chicago now and my wife as an AT&T iPhone and she has to stand out side just to text a message, the signal is so weak, yet I have never seen less than two bars on my Sprint phones anywhere in the city and usually its full strength. The 3G speeds on my HTC Touch Pro blow away her iPhone. Granted I use my phones more for data (internet, texting, email) than talking, and perhaps because of that I've always preferred Sprint's network to others. The only drawback is CDMA-only phones not working overseas, but I just use my wife's phone for that
    This is where his review lost most credibility for me. He bashes Sprint and lists it as a negative without giving reason, as if everyone should just know.

    I've had almost all carriers and liked sprint the best.
  14. tc600's Avatar
    Posts
    305 Posts
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    #74  
  15. #75  
    One thing I noticed is that he indicated it's not as simple as the iPhone. If that's true, it will be stuck with more of a geek audience than the media-centric iPhone. There's still plenty of money to be made there, but Apple will get all the people who just want media on the go.

    I wonder if iTunes will continue to work as my wife has an iPod and my Rhapsody on the go service will suck because DRM won't work with bluetooth headphones.
  16. #76  
    Hmm...Low ringtone?

    I hope im not going to be one of the ones he is talking about..I need a lound ringer. I could have sworn I read where someone said it was loud...


  17. Q
    Q is offline
    Q's Avatar
    Posts
    686 Posts
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stake View Post
    Walt is way too deep in bed with Apple that I don't he could give a unbiased review to something that's not made by Cupertino. I'm sure that Walt will totally diss Sprint too. He did this with Microsoft when Ballmer asked if he wanted to see the Zune HD at D7.

    We'll see soon...
    He was interviewed for a podcast shortly after CES and his first impression of the Pre was favorable. There haven't been many cases of "I liked it at first and now I think it sucks"--so I'm optimistic that Walt will still be positive on the Pre in his review.
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    I'm optimistic that Walt will still be positive on the Pre in his review.
    He already reviewed it and he was mostly positive.
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Nice.

    Pogue has always been a nice Palm friend. He gave the Centro a pretty good review too.

    some contra points he made:
    - battery life: indeed signal strength is an important factor
    - iPhone is still easier to use? i doubt that. It may be harder to learn but a lot of Palm's shortcuts are really very user-friendly.
    I think when referring to the iPhone being easier to use he meant that there aren't as many gesture that you need to learn, but the gestures and stuff are what make the Pre more productive.
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I completely disagree. I get great service from Sprint, both in terms of coverage and performance, and customer service.
    But most people prefer to avoid Sprint. The fact is that people have been going to Verizon despite Verizon higher prices for a reason. I use Sprint for my personal self paid lines, but only because my legacy plan is it is abvout 1/2 what it would cost on Verizon. The current plans don't represent the same level of discount, and the tradeoff for poorer sprint coverage in my area (DC metro) would not be compelling for me. You say you are in DC metro? Inside of downtown office buildings, hotel conference centers (which are mostly in below ground levels) etc Verizon has much better penetration.

    I don't hate sprint, I have Sprint, but the negative comments of Pre of being on Sprint are fact based.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions