Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The formatting for the article was terrible, though, wasn't it. Difficult to read...
    UK boy born and bred, usually proud of this, but rueing the fact that I won't be able to get my greasy mitts on one of these for months longer...
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Because they decided on the slim form factor that they have now?

Anyway, all in all a great review. Very objective and fair, and touches on all of the great features of the Pre.

I think this is a very good thing for Palm, really the only major negatives he pointed out can be fixed (app starting speed, ringer volume) or will improve in areas of better service (battery life)... at least I'm hoping so for the latter.
    I predict Seidio will have a larger capacity battery at the same size? Are they using more advanced technology?
    I especially liked Dave's concluding lines:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Pogue
    Verizon Wireless has announced that it will carry the Pre ‘‘in the next six months or so.’’ Can you imagine how great that will be? One of the world’s best phones on the best U.S. cell network? If the story of Palm’s rise from the ashes really is like a movie plot, then that twist will give it one heck of a happy ending.
    Starting to get me excited.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pullbangdead View Post
    Yeah, like jhoff80 said.

Messes up the ergonomics.

I honestly think they designed the "riverstone" size and shape of the phone, and then squeezed in whatever parts they could fit. This is the reason it's 8gig storage, with no microSD, and a battery that may not be completely ideal for everyone.

And honestly, I'm ok with it. Every spec I've read so far has been right in what I expect from a phone, and EVERYONE who has reviewed/previewed the phone has loved the form factor. Everyone seems to think "Love the form factor, but wish it had one more thing...", and it's all different things. For some people it's a bigger battery, some people it's the microSD, some people it's the on-board flash storage, and so on. But I think palm compromised slightly on specs to get the perfect form factor, and I think they seem to have succeeded so far. We'll know a lot more in just a couple of days, though.
    I think you hit the nail on the head, Palm started with the physical design first and found out later what they could put in it.
    Sprint client since 1998. Treo 650, Treo 700, Treo 755p, Palm Pre till it died--- now have HTC EVO
    Glad to see good balance reviews.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Sprint is great in NYC!
    Not so much in the bulding where I work. I can be underground and get no Sprint signal, switch to forced roaming and get a signal (verizon). I've always just hoped that my Treo 700p is just an older phone and that newer technology will solve this problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by bronxbomber View Post
    Not so much in the bulding where I work. I can be underground and get no Sprint signal, switch to forced roaming and get a signal (verizon). I've always just hoped that my Treo 700p is just an older phone and that newer technology will solve this problem.
    agreed. Sprint building penetration is not very good.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    It might be regional. He is based in NY. Sprint is not so great here.
    UGh...don't say that. I am on LI and hope Sprint will be ok.

When I went on vacation with a Verizon phone and it could not find service it took that battery down in short order so I am hoping that is all that is about.
    I am currently out of contract for a year now from Verizon but would like to get the phone w/o waiting and it seems Sprint has better pricing.

I'm really glad he liked the things on the phone I care about.
    agreed. Sprint building penetration is not very good.
    A 100% 1900Mhz network is like that. Great bandwidth - abysmal structure penetration.
    Sprint only uses PCS spectrum (1900 MHz) for it's CDMA network vs VZ which has 850 Mhz spectrum running CDMA. The VZ spectrum penetrates MUCH better, so that explains why you can get a VZ carrier and not a Sprint carrier in the same geographic area that both Sprint and VZ have built out in.

AT&T is the other carrier that has 850 Mhz spectrum.

Both AT&T and VZ won 700 MHz spectrum in the 2008 auction, but that will be used exclusively for their LTE builds. Sprint is betting on 2.5 Ghz spectrum for 4G, which sucks penetration wise.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    iso where is Big Moss's review? should be soon!
    Walt is way too deep in bed with Apple that I don't he could give a unbiased review to something that's not made by Cupertino. I'm sure that Walt will totally diss Sprint too. He did this with Microsoft when Ballmer asked if he wanted to see the Zune HD at D7.

We'll see soon...
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Great article overall! His negatives weren't linked to WebOS itself or the design of the phone, which were my 2 greatest worries with any of these "pro" reviews.

Question for those with more tech knowledge:

Can the ringer volume be fixed through an OTA software update, or is this more of a hardware issue to be addressed in Pre 2?
    Isn't there an embargo on the reviews? I thought I heard Mossberg say that in a video. I'm pretty sure Palm would want reviews from Giz and Engadget too to hype it up for the weekend.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Wait - you think battery life, probably Pogues biggest negative, has nothing to do with the design of the phone?
    Good catch - guess I should have been more clear. I meant the physical construction and feel of the phone, i.e. sliding mechanism, keyboard, size, weight. The battery life is a concern, but I was planning on buying an extra to swap out anyways. And thank goodness that we can!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    Interesting how he shafts Sprint in the article. Sprint really is the weak spot for this phone.
    I completely disagree. I get great service from Sprint, both in terms of coverage and performance, and customer service. That's the one area I think he's very wrong about Sprint's 3G network in major metro areas has been shown to be better than anyone else's.

I have a hard time getting a signal in my building. AT&T and Verizon no problem. Tmobile and Sprint got to be near a window.

I am located on Wall Street
    And at my client site, in the suburbs of Washington, DC, I get full bars on my Sprint Treo and a barely useable signal on my Verizon air card. You can find dead spots on every carrier.
    Last edited by meyerweb; 06/03/2009 at 05:26 PM.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    This is an issue with all CDMA phones if they go in and out of EV-DO coverage. It kills battery life.

Still, we'll have to wait and see how it really performs when lots of people get them and start playing with them.
    In that case its a good thing that we'll have an option for carrying around an extra battery!
  17. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikest View Post
    bit of a buzz kill on the ringer. I know the centro's ringer was always low and Id hope'd they fix that on the pre but I'll live somehow.
    Non issue for me. I can't remember the last time I've taken my phone off of vibrate.
    I have to say I disagree with the statement that Sprint is bad in NYC. Many locations might have problems but the majority of places I have been in within the five boroughs and in New Jersey as well, I have experience amazing coverage. Even my friends with AT&T compliment me on my service after having no bars where I had five.

Then again, not all of us have the same experiences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    A 100% 1900Mhz network is like that. Great bandwidth - abysmal structure penetration.
    Hopefully Palm's well-endowed Pre-nis will solve this issue.
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I completely disagree. I get great service from Sprint, both in terms of coverage and performance, and customer service. That's the one area I think he's very wrong about Sprint's 3G network in major metro areas has been shown to be better than anyone else's.

And at my client site, in the suburbs of Washington, DC, I get full bars on my Sprint Treo and a barely useable signal on my Verizon air card. You can find dead spots on every carrier.
    true, 100% ,
    I had full bars on SPRINT network in DC area , while verizon simply cannot connect on few spots.

OTHO , I had blind spots all over near SPRINT's corporate building in Reston, VA.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast