Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    1. I consider him palm friendly. he wrote the palm history book.
    2. battery life is a concern - but if he lives in the boondocks - the VA mountains - and if he was putting it through its paces for hours of abnormal use - no surprise. i'll trade some battery life for playing with power.
    3. he was not too Sprint friendly - but if he lives in the moutains and eats possum pie I can't fault him too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    IMO, ATT is really a weak spot for the iPhone. Again, all carriers are crap and all carriers are great, just depends on your point of view.
    It might be regional. He is based in NY. Sprint is not so great here.
    Sprint is great in NYC!
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    bit of a buzz kill on the ringer. I know the centro's ringer was always low and Id hope'd they fix that on the pre but I'll live somehow.
    I find it hard to believe you can't raise the ringer volume? maybe he didn't or didn't know how? maybe he left TINKERBELL as default??????
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Sprint is great in NYC!
    I have a hard time getting a signal in my building. AT&T and Verizon no problem. Tmobile and Sprint got to be near a window.

I am located on Wall Street
    never heard or experienced such a claim. but every carrier has a dead spot somewhere - but not air to generalize a whole geographic area.
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    Am I the only person questioning the fact that the NY Times tech writer's review appears on mydigitalfc.com, "India's first global business networking platform", and not in the NY Times or anywhere else I could find?

Just asking...
    You are not the only person questioning this. That was my FIRST thought. Why isn't this on the NY Times site?
    Is it strange that my wife refers to herself as a "Treo widow"?
    iso where is Big Moss's review? should be soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dijon View Post
    You are not the only person questioning this. That was my FIRST thought. Why isn't this on the NY Times site?
    Searching entire lines of this "review" on google turns up one result, the one linked.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dijon View Post
    Look for something in Thursday's paper, which is the day that the NYT posts its "Circuit/Tech Talk" article, often featuring Pogue's columns. Or late tonight on website. My guess it that this posted early because of the time difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by elh1188 View Post
    Look for something in Thursday's paper, which is the day that the NYT posts its "Circuit/Tech Talk" article, often featuring Pogue's columns. Or late tonight on website. My guess it that this posted early because of the time difference.
    Good point, that makes sense. I get those "Circuit/Tech Talk" emails so we shall see.
    Is it strange that my wife refers to herself as a "Treo widow"?
    Quote Originally Posted by elh1188 View Post
    Sounds plausible. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I have a hard time getting a signal in my building. AT&T and Verizon no problem. Tmobile and Sprint got to be near a window.

I am located on Wall Street
    Understandable - for you, but I have read multiple times how frustrated iPhone users were in NYC b/c they could not get service. Also, ATT sucks for my in my home office (EDGE is not even good) but I can drive 2 miles away and have 5 bars of 3G goodness.

Anyway - Pogue (who is also a Twitter hog - god he sends out some tweets per day!) did a fair job. I actually expected worse!
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Out of everything this bothers me, "Opening certain programs can be very slow—sometimes 8 or 9 seconds—and there’s no progress bar or hourglass to let you know that it’s still working."
    Everything else I'm fine with.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbpooch View Post
    I'm worried about the battery life too. But he goes on to say that it's probably due to bad coverage where he is.
    Even if the battery is a little "light" on capacity, unlike certain other smartphones, you can pop out the battery and throw in a new one when you need to.

And if some earlier reports are true, the pre uses the same battery as the Centro, meaning there are already tons of spare batteries available on e-bay and other aftermarket places, and these aftermarket batteries are usually quite cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by pullbangdead View Post
    Even if the battery is a little "light" on capacity, unlike certain other smartphones, you can pop out the battery and throw in a new one when you need to.

And if some earlier reports are true, the pre uses the same battery as the Centro, meaning there are already tons of spare batteries available on e-bay and other aftermarket places, and these aftermarket batteries are usually quite cheap.
    I always wondered then why Palm would just not include a bigger battery? Any additional battery costs would far outweigh the "bad battery" comments that will appear in every review.
  18.    #38  
    I did a google search of terms including "David Pogue", "Digitalfc" and "Financial Chronicle" and found that the website in question has posted several of Pogue's article. It looks legit.
    I always wondered then why Palm would just not include a bigger battery? Any additional battery costs would far outweigh the "bad battery" comments that will appear in every review.
    Because they decided on the slim form factor that they have now?

Anyway, all in all a great review. Very objective and fair, and touches on all of the great features of the Pre.

I think this is a very good thing for Palm, really the only major negatives he pointed out can be fixed (app starting speed, ringer volume) or will improve in areas of better service (battery life)... at least I'm hoping so for the latter.
    Yeah, like jhoff80 said.

Messes up the ergonomics.

I honestly think they designed the "riverstone" size and shape of the phone, and then squeezed in whatever parts they could fit. This is the reason it's 8gig storage, with no microSD, and a battery that may not be completely ideal for everyone.

And honestly, I'm ok with it. Every spec I've read so far has been right in what I expect from a phone, and EVERYONE who has reviewed/previewed the phone has loved the form factor. Everyone seems to think "Love the form factor, but wish it had one more thing...", and it's all different things. For some people it's a bigger battery, some people it's the microSD, some people it's the on-board flash storage, and so on. But I think palm compromised slightly on specs to get the perfect form factor, and I think they seem to have succeeded so far. We'll know a lot more in just a couple of days, though.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast