Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    So I nonchalantly walked into one of the stores in my area that I have been asking about the Pre, and said...
    "I just wanted to know if you guys had a dummy Pre around that I could check out....

My guy goes... "Sure let me go get it..."

So I was totally assuming a dummy is coming out, nope... He brings out a fully working activated PRE!!!!!
    He tells me, "Sit in the corner and be discreet, take all the time you want"....

So like a crack addict scoring... I huddled in the corner and started my demo....

1. This phone is the best overall phone I have ever used, bar-none!

It is VERY solidly built... for anyone to say this phone feels cheap, is literally lying, or doesn't have a clue of what quality truly feel like...
    It actually to me, has the perfect weight... not to light, and def. not to heavy... just right...

In terms of quality, the slider mechanism surprised me the most... I am right handed, and to open the slider in my left hand, it barely took a flick of the tip of my thumb! (it almost feels like it was spring-loaded)
    Now, thats not to say it was loose at all... but once again... just right...

It is amazingly small when closed in your hand... it literally fits in my palm perfectly, with no overhang at the top or bottom!

Battery cover comes off very easy, it has a little button that you press in and the cover then pops right off... so for all us that like to swap batteries... will be very easy!

Now onto the KEYBOARD DEBATE!!!!

This was the one thing I have so scared to check out on the Pre...

I will start of by saying that I am coming from a 800w, which I believe is def. the best keyboard ever made on a Palm product (I have had all, including the handsets)...

and I can honestly say, The Pre's keyboard is very VERY good!!...

I typed out a 3 paragraph (~200 words) Memo to test it out... and I made 2, only 2! mistakes... unbelievable to me...
    I believe anyone coming from a current Treo (700, Centro, Pro, etc...) will have NO problems at all getting used to this keyboard in 5 min...
    and maybe 20 min for Blackberry users

The Screen is just beautiful, very bright, colors are spot on!, just WOW!

2. Software-

Gestures, IMO, will come second nature to most people... very easy to use, especially the back gesture, quick launch, and App pull-up...

Things move much quicker than I expected,
    I liked the cursor movement (Holding Orange) alot... pretty accurate...

I checked out Sprint Nav, NYT Beta App, Video Player, etc... everything worked better than expected... it was THAT good guys....

The video player is amazing!.. I bet that is one of the main things that we will use to show off this amazing piece of equipment..
    BTW... the speaker is GREAT listening to videos... very clear..

The Web, oh boy the WEB... What a wonderful experience!!
    I pulled up a few sites.. Engadget, Gizmodo, PRECENTRAL! and everything pulled up very quickly and accuratly...
    Zooming, scrolling, etc was a dream... much smoother and tighter animations than the iPhone... ( )

The cards/apps switched from the 4 different view also very quickly... ( I did notice that if you have the Menu down and then rotate, the app/card in the background that is active and shaded rotates, but the Menu did not, something to work on...)

3. Overall impression

I will end as I started.. the Pre is an absolute HOMERUN!...

It is soo well built, so user friendly, and so flashy (Everyone will ask you "What is that?!)

For all the doubts I had going into Sat. launch... its all gone now...

The bad thing is that I am worse off wanting this phone now, than I was mnts ago!!!

I want to let all my fellow Pre-verts... forget about all your doubts, all your questions on quality... take my word for it...

This will be THE phone of the year!!!!

Last edited by mrkalel; 06/03/2009 at 01:51 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    thanks for the preview! btw i hate you
    beautiful review!!! thanks!
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    thanks
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I cannot wait to browse on this phone , after another post which compared the screen sizes of Pre and iPhone and showed they are almost identical.
    So uhhhhhhh..... what brand of coffee does it brew? If its starbucks and not dunkin donuts, ill be disappointed in palm and may have to pass on this phone.

How's the processing speed? Is it a LOT faster than the treo 755, in terms of interapp switching and web browsing speeds?
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardHowl View Post
    thanks for the preview! btw i hate you
    Dont worry, I hate myself...
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    I....I love you.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    I've no doubt that I'll love the Pre, especially coming from a dated PalmOS 755p. But these posts are only making the wait seem longer Thanks for adding to the anticipation
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    So uhhhhhhh..... what brand of coffee does it brew? If its starbucks and not dunkin donuts, ill be disappointed in palm and may have to pass on this phone.

How's the processing speed? Is it a LOT faster than the treo 755, in terms of interapp switching and web browsing speeds?

Well I can tell you from first hand knowledge... the speed difference is about night and day...

There is no contest... I mean we are talking about switching between really intense programs... I did Nav and video player... there was no lag...
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    Well I can tell you from first hand knowledge... the speed difference is about night and day...

There is no contest... I mean we are talking about switching between really intense programs... I did Nav and video player... there was no lag...
    Sweet! Screen clarity was probably like going from the t600's 160x160 to the t650's 320 x 320, right?
    Thanks for the review. "Pre-verts", lol.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    Sweet! Screen clarity was probably like going from the t600's 160x160 to the t650's 320 x 320, right?
    Thats one way of saying it... or I like... VHS to BLu-Ray...
    Excellent review. Too bad I'm stuck with Vzw.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    It's not a review until you balance it with the negative points. I'm sure it's a great phone but it can't be perfect.
    i guess it all depends on who you are and what area you in... i might have better luck today or tomorrow to check on one
    Great review --- damn, I'll have to get in line even earlier than planned. The lines will be longer with good news like this!
    thanks for the great info and the pics
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    It's not a review until you balance it with the negative points. I'm sure it's a great phone but it can't be perfect.
    Well I did point out that the Menu's didn't rotate properly sometimes

But seriously... I went into demo-ing it to kinda prove/disprove what was said negatively already about the Pre... Keyboard, build quality, weight, speaker, etc...

And now that I have spent some time with it... I can say that I find those things to be no issue at all...

Its just my opinion, but I have been using "Smartphones" for over 12 years now...

Oh yea... and it shows your fingerprints alot...
    Nice review. I'm jealous.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast