1.    #1  
    Hey, since the Pres that we will all be getting on Saturday have "been around for awhile", they most likely do not have the most recent software upgrades on them.

Do you think that whatever software upgrade we need will be immediately available OTA, or do you think that some of the "better" stuff will only be available once we get "our next Pre" a year from now?

Hope that wasn't a dumb question.
    No, no, OTA update. This won't be like Palms of the past where your updates are few and far between. They'll be able to update all webOS devices with the latest and greatest.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by furreverdad View Post
    Hey, since the Pres that we will all be getting on Saturday have "been around for awhile", they most likely do not have the most recent software upgrades on them.

Do you think that whatever software upgrade we need will be immediately available OTA, or do you think that some off the "better" stuff will only be available once we get "our next Pre" a year from now?

Hope that wasn't a dumb question.
    WebOS 1.0.2 is available for all Advocate units as of yesterday. I work for a sprint store as a contractor and I spent part of my work hours upgrading our 5 or so Pres to 1.0.2. Update is located in the third screen(scroll to the left) and is labeled "Update" if memory serves me correctly.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    No, no, OTA update. This won't be like Palms of the past where your updates are few and far between. They'll be able to update all webOS devices with the latest and greatest.
    That's kinda what I was hopin'.
    Quote Originally Posted by beret9987 View Post
    WebOS 1.0.2 is available for all Advocate units as of yesterday. I work for a sprint store as a contractor and I spent part of my work hours upgrading our 5 or so Pres to 1.0.2. Update is located in the third screen(scroll to the left) and is labeled "Update" if memory serves me correctly.
    So you unpackaged the Pres and then sealed them back up? I want my prints to be the first on my Pre after the Factory.
    A rep I spoke with said they got the update yesterday.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Also, according to the manual, it'll be nearly transparent anyway. As long as you have a good signal, and good battery life, the update downloads in the background, and then gives you the option to install now or later. If you get the phone right away and there's an update, but you need to use the phone or want to play with it before it updates, you can just hit install later for up to 3 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by CHEEZM03 View Post
    So you unpackaged the Pres and then sealed them back up? I want my prints to be the first on my Pre after the Factory.
    I'm just a little more than confused with so many people posting on these formus about being so OCD about being the first to touch the Pre they purchase.

I'm extremely excited about this phone as well. I've never been excited about the release of a product before. Yet I spend hours of my work day scanning the forums and web sites for information.

Given all that, I'm not bothered in any way with the fact that wherever I purchase one, they will need to open the packaging and be the first to handle the phone to activate it.

From the sound of things, I'll be lucky to even get one on Saturday.
    I just locked my phone up while attempting to do this. My wife took the phone back to the Sprint store and they said they have been getting complaints of Pre's locking up while attempting to download/install an OS upgrade when the battery life is <50%. I'm not sure why this was an issue for me, since I had the phone charging via usb/computer at the time. The phone was successfully unlocked and re-set at the Sprint store. They recommended not installing a new OS unless the battery has a full charge.
    1.0.2 was available for me when I went to the update app. A click on UPDATE NOW and all 67MB was DLed over EVDO in just a few min. The upgrade took longer than the DL

My battery was very low but I was charging via a wall charger.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Also, according to the manual, it'll be nearly transparent anyway. As long as you have a good signal, and good battery life, the update downloads in the background, and then gives you the option to install now or later. If you get the phone right away and there's an update, but you need to use the phone or want to play with it before it updates, you can just hit install later for up to 3 times.
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    it won't ever update OTA if your batt is <30%
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    I'm just a little more than confused with so many people posting on these formus about being so OCD about being the first to touch the Pre they purchase.

I'm extremely excited about this phone as well. I've never been excited about the release of a product before. Yet I spend hours of my work day scanning the forums and web sites for information.

Given all that, I'm not bothered in any way with the fact that wherever I purchase one, they will need to open the packaging and be the first to handle the phone to activate it.

From the sound of things, I'll be lucky to even get one on Saturday.
    It's not so much that they have OCD as: if something is sold brand new, it should not be opened from the time it leaves the manufacturer till the time the customer buys it.

Imagine you took a new device (not necessarily a phone) home and found scratches on the screen. You think the store would admit to opening up the boxes and give you a new device or do you think they'd say "gtfo, you did it?"
    There are buttons available where you can upgrade the PRL as well as network settings. Not sure if it will actually change anything but every little bit helps.

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!