Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    This is why hopefully all the big smartphones are going to OLED screens in the near future. Not only are the screens gorgeous, but they use less power, too.
    I am coming from an Instinct, so this is a no-brainer for me. The Instinct battery life sucks, which is why they give you two batteries, and that is the strategy I will use now.

One extra battery in my pocket has never been a problem, and I am not a slave to a charger, because the two batteries ALWAYS got me through the day, and then I charge both of them at night.
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    Actually, the worst case senario is the battery explodes in you pants.

Can you explain why you think that is a possibility? Because Id love to hear it! Feel free to get as technical as you would like!
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post

Can you explain why you think that is a possibility? Because Id love to hear it! Feel free to get as technical as you would like!
    This battery (like the iPhone and BB batteries) are Li-ion batteries. You have to be really careful charging them (using a special controller chip) or they will blow up on you.

The energy density in these things approaches that of a low grade explosive.
    Quote Originally Posted by jthelman View Post
    "Get 6 extra chargers, keep one in the car, one at work, one at the gym, one in each room of the house. Between phone calls you just plug it in..."

"you need to be a pack mule and carry 2 or three extra batteries -- it's that simple...."

"stop using all those new-fangled features of the phone, don't multi-task. Turn down the screen brightness...."

"buy the $70, no, wait, buy 2 $70 chargers, and make sure you prop the phone on them when you aren't using it..."

Sometimes people on this board sound absurd.

I'm going to wait for a phone that doesn't require me to live life 10 feet away from a charger at all times, spend $70 on a glorified toothbush charger, carry extra battery packs, or dim the screen and give up any multitasking.

It's a phone/PDA, it's supposed to make life more convenient, not make you it's slave. I think sometimes we get caught up in the shiny new toy to realize it's just a phone. There are dozens of other phones that can last a full day without charging.

Until Sprint/Palm engineers a better way around the battery flaw, I'll stick with my mesozoic 700w, which gets me email/voice/web for an entire day without a half-dozen strategically placed chargers, or changing how I use it.

If the battery problem is not exaggerated (unlikely, since it's been reported by several sources), Sprint will have a turkey on their hands and will need to release a new phone to replace it. I'll wait for that phone.
    I don't think the idea of keeping a spare battery is so absurd. You're the one who added "pack mule" in there as if the batteries are the size of bricks.

The battery life issue is probably more of an issue for power users. I've got a fat battery for my Treo. My gf's got the same Treo model but doesn't sweat her stock battery. That's because we use our phones so differently.

Anyway, more power to you if you truly think one of those other phones you mentioned offers more than the Pre, after all pro's and con's are considered (for both phones). Your preference doesn't make us absurd, though.

SILLY SEASON MAKES US ABSURD!

Woohoo! Woohoo! Woohoo!
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    .... I'll wait for that phone.
    You, my friend, will be waiting for a long time. The Pre is really no different (unfortunate for sure) than any other smartphone on the market - except for Blackberry. RIM seems to have the battery thing figured out better than the rest. Palm, Apple, HTC, etc. don't have it figured out as well.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    This battery (like the iPhone and BB batteries) are Li-ion batteries. You have to be really careful charging them (using a special controller chip) or they will blow up on you.

The energy density in these things approaches that of a low grade explosive.
    Im aware. I was wondering what made him think that the centro batteries didnt have the appropriate hardware to regulate their charging.
    "Get 6 extra chargers, keep one in the car, one at work, one at the gym, one in each room of the house. Between phone calls you just plug it in..."

"you need to be a pack mule and carry 2 or three extra batteries -- it's that simple...."

"stop using all those new-fangled features of the phone, don't multi-task. Turn down the screen brightness...."

"buy the $70, no, wait, buy 2 $70 chargers, and make sure you prop the phone on them when you aren't using it..."

I'm going to wait for a phone that doesn't require me to live life 10 feet away from a charger at all times, spend $70 on a glorified toothbush charger, carry extra battery packs, or dim the screen and give up any multitasking.

It's a phone/PDA, it's supposed to make life more convenient, not make you it's slave. I think sometimes we get caught up in the shiny new toy to realize it's just a phone. There are dozens of other phones that can last a full day without charging.

Until Sprint/Palm engineers a better way around the battery flaw, I'll stick with my mesozoic 700w, which gets me email/voice/web for an entire day without a half-dozen strategically placed chargers, or changing how I use it.

If the battery problem is not exaggerated (unlikely, since it's been reported by several sources), Sprint will have a turkey on their hands and will need to release a new phone to replace it. I'll wait for that phone.
    Roughly half of the reviews were happy with battery life, lasting well into the second day.

With a phone that allows you to run several apps at once, it's always going to be up to the maker of those apps, and ultimately up to you, to manage the battery drain.
    S4Rs commented thusly:

Battery life tricks from the AP. By PETER SVENSSON

"When I first got the Pre, I was dismayed by its battery life. I got less than 24 hours of light use out of it, and it would lose nearly a third of its charge if left inactive overnight. It turns out there's a bug that drains the battery if your Google instant-messaging account is connected to your AOL Instant Messenger account. Palm says it will fix that. When I logged Google out of AIM, I got much longer life.

I extended battery life even further by setting the Pre to receive my personal e-mail instantly rather than checking every 15 minutes. That's counterintuitive — usually getting the e-mail automatically "pushed" to a device consumes more power.

I ended up with nearly two days of battery life, which I think is acceptable for a hardworking smart phone. But it would be great if Palm made it easier to manage power consumption."
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    You, my friend, will be waiting for a long time. The Pre is really no different (unfortunate for sure) than any other smartphone on the market - except for Blackberry. RIM seems to have the battery thing figured out better than the rest. Palm, Apple, HTC, etc. don't have it figured out as well.
    Or can can stay with my Treo 700w. It works. Don't have to wait at all, I stand pat.

Blackberry is also an option. Apparently they are using space-age technology that the Pre isnt?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Palm specifically -- all those manufacturers need to step up and make a charge last longer than 1 day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Roughly half of the reviews were happy with battery life, lasting well into the second day.
    Or, put in another way, roughly half *weren't* happy with the battery life.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I understand that having the battery potentially not last an entire day kind of sucks, but is it really that big of a deal? I mean how hard is it to just plug your phone in while you're at your desk or something? You people are acting like it'll only stay on for 30 minutes before you need to replace the battery. Lithium Ion batteries work the best when they are constantly topped off anyway, so no matter what phone you have, if you want a properly conditioned battery, you should be plugging it in a lot anyways.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hegemon View Post
    I understand that having the battery potentially not last an entire day kind of sucks, but is it really that big of a deal? I mean how hard is it to just plug your phone in while you're at your desk or something? You people are acting like it'll only stay on for 30 minutes before you need to replace the battery. Lithium Ion batteries work the best when they are constantly topped off anyway, so no matter what phone you have, if you want a properly conditioned battery, you should be plugging it in a lot anyways.
    It's a lifestyle/habit issue. It's hard for me to change how I go about the day.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    It's a lifestyle/habit issue. It's hard for me to change how I go about the day.
    Fair enough. Hopefully there will be some better batteries released at a later point.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by f1nzup View Post
    I am coming from an Instinct, so this is a no-brainer for me. The Instinct battery life sucks, which is why they give you two batteries, and that is the strategy I will use now.

One extra battery in my pocket has never been a problem, and I am not a slave to a charger, because the two batteries ALWAYS got me through the day, and then I charge both of them at night.
    im coming from that pos phone, samsung should have aborted that phone before it was concieved.

you reminded me how much i hate my instinct.

instinct-pre kinda like going from flip phone- treo back in the day.
    Yes most of the reviews point to poor battery life. Looks like about 10% of the received are happy with the battery life.

That is no surprise. It has an amazingly underpowered battery for the feature set.

17. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    I think the Blackberrys have mastered how to optimize battery life because 99.99% of their models AREN'T TOUCHSCREEN. My Curve lasts me for almost 2 full days & its the first smartphone I've ever owned that I haven'y had to buy a Seidio ext battery for. I'll surely miss the battery life from my BB Curve but the Pre just has sooo much more potential that I'll gladly accept the trade-off.
    Or, put in another way, roughly half *weren't* happy with the battery life.
    True. And I wonder how many of those that weren't happy with their battery expectations knew there was an AOL IM battery drain bug, that WiFI on all the time drains faster, and Email checking set at high frequency can all increase your battery usage several times.
    Certainly the people that spew buckets of hyperbole like in your post sound absurd. Shall we discuss the finer points of irony?
    The good news is that this will all "come out in the wash".

The number of units sold/not returned in a month from now will render the verdict for us. If there is an issue, people will return the phone and move on. It really doesn't matter what the people on this board think if 90% of the consumers shopping for phone don't want the Pre or return theirs.

The other good news is that Sprint (and Palm) has no room for a mediocre product, if they have a turkey and don't fix the problem they are in deep trouble. I suspect any real issue will get addressed quickly

I could easily see Verizon or ATT ignoring the problem or telling people to **** off -- they are in better financial shape and will just get the money from somewhere else.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast