Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    I just bought 2 Seidio 1350 batteries
    I was thinking of doing the same but decided to confirm that it was advisable to use Centro batteries in the Palm Pre. I just had reps at two different Sprint stores tell me that the Pre uses new batteries and that the Centro batteries should not be used with the Pre. I understand that d94 found that the Pre will run with a Centro battery. I don't know what to think.

I'm frustrated with Palm for not making this information available prior to launch. This is something consumers need to know before purchasing a phone -- whether it's compatible with existing batteries.
    It is a bit of a risk, but I dont think it is a major one.

In a worst case scenario I am confident that I can unload them on ebay and recoup my investment.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    It is a bit of a risk, but I dont think it is a major one.

In a worst case scenario I am confident that I can unload them on ebay and recoup my investment.
    Actually, the worst case senario is the battery explodes in you pants.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    I was thinking of doing the same but decided to confirm that it was advisable to use Centro batteries in the Palm Pre. I just had reps at two different Sprint stores tell me that the Pre uses new batteries and that the Centro batteries should not be used with the Pre. I understand that d94 found that the Pre will run with a Centro battery. I don't know what to think.

Lets see, should I trust an informed forum participant who has actually used the Pre or a $8.00 per hour flunky who can't even spell Pre?
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Lets see, should I trust an informed forum participant who has actually used the Pre or a $8.00 per hour flunky who can't even spell Pre?
    You miss the point. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

However, I think it would be stupid for Palm to use an identical form factor with an incompatible battery. That's asking for trouble. Had the Sprint reps told me Yes, I would have believed them. I doubt the No is true.
    However, I think it would be stupid for Palm to use an identical form factor with an incompatible battery.
    Exactly. They used the same battery in the 800w as well. I have 3 of them.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    I think odds are that the Pre and Centro batteries are different, that somehow the Pre can eek more out of the new battery, but that the Pre will function perfectly fine with the Centro battery, just at slightly less capacity. That's my guess about how this different but compatible hoopla resolves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hegemon View Post
    I hope this isn't a noob question, but are all micro-usb plugs the same? So would I be able to use the several micro-usb chargers that I have for my BB pearl with the Pre?
    The chargers may have a different amount of current but the regular USB cables for your computer will all work the same and charge your device over USB.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Introducing Palm TouchStones(TM) Accessory - Charge your Pre by harnessing the energy from walking around using inductive coil technology via your gonads.

My god, if two people using such a device get too close. The magnetic "streams" might cross. It might cause "all life as you know it to stop and instantaneously cause every molecule in there body(s) to explode at the speed of light."

That would be bad....
    We wants it, we needs it. Must have the PREcious.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    I do not think I will take any chances, I will wait for SEdio to make a Pre extended battery, I just open they do it very soon! Then I will use the stock Battery as my backup
    Sprint client since 1998. Treo 650, Treo 700, Treo 755p, Palm Pre till it died--- now have HTC EVO
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    In case you missed it, Dieter's reports in his PreCentral review that the Pre is not compatible with Centro batteries.

Also, I hate floppy doors, like the one used for the microUSB. They quickly enter a state of not fitting and need to be torn off. On the other hand, one review reported that charging is slower on the Touchstone. It's all give and take.
    I have a Centro. I have a charger at work, at home and in the car. Most days I only use the chargers during my commute and overnight. Most times, I don't even need it overnight because it charges on my commute. The only time I use the office charger (except syncing) is when I have a long conference call on the cell and need more juice. I don't think it will be any different with the Pre. I use video/audio on weekends so that's a whole different animal.
    In case you missed it, Dieter's reports in his PreCentral review that the Pre is not compatible with Centro batteries.
    It could be Palm trying to make money on us that have Centro batteries. We will never know...until a Pre explodes from a Centro battery .
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Apparently the use of Centro batteries is recommended against by Palm.
    I'll keep doing the same thing I do with my Centro: charge via wall plug (I'll get the Touchstone for the Pre) when at home, charge via car plug when in the car if I need to charge there (hardly ever happens), and use the Proporta emergency/mobile survival charger everywhere else (you charge the charger via a wall plug/USB and then anywhere you need to charge up you just plug the charger into the phone).

The thing is smaller than a Centro and it works well.

proporta.com/F02/PPF02P05.php?t_id=4393&t_mode=des

(I have a previous version - called the Mobile Survival Kit Micro - but I'm sure this Universal Emergency Charger works just as well.)
    On the other hand, one review reported that charging is slower on the Touchstone. It's all give and take.
    I believe it was Engadget who said that charging is slower on the Touchstone. He also mentioned that the back will get very very hot when charging on the Touchstone.
    Myself, I plan to carry around an extra battery which I will swap into my Pre in full view of my iPhone carrying friends. They will be amazed...and devastated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bag of Leaves View Post
    I'll keep doing the same thing I do with my Centro: charge via wall plug (I'll get the Touchstone for the Pre) when at home, charge via car plug when in the car if I need to charge there (hardly ever happens), and use the Proporta emergency/mobile survival charger everywhere else (you charge the charger via a wall plug/USB and then anywhere you need to charge up you just plug the charger into the phone).

The thing is smaller than a Centro and it works well.

proporta.com/F02/PPF02P05.php?t_id=4393&t_mode=des

(I have a previous version - called the Mobile Survival Kit Micro - but I'm sure this Universal Emergency Charger works just as well.)
    is there a good American retailer that sells a product like this?
    Quote Originally Posted by deadpanwalking View Post
    I believe it was Engadget who said that charging is slower on the Touchstone. He also mentioned that the back will get very very hot when charging on the Touchstone.
    Myself, I plan to carry around an extra battery which I will swap into my Pre in full view of my iPhone carrying friends. They will be amazed...and devastated.

Yah I'll get the matte back and skip on touchstone after reading that part of the Engadget review.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    I'll probably lower brightness, turn off BT and WiFi when not in use and use an arsenal of batteries. I'm thinking I'll need two to three batteries and something to charge the batteries without it being in the phone. I'll also have a car charger in my fleet and I'll need to grab an extra AC charger for when I'm not sitting near a computer.

I don't plan to get a touchstone though, I just can't justify the cost when I have so many usb cables.
    "Get 6 extra chargers, keep one in the car, one at work, one at the gym, one in each room of the house. Between phone calls you just plug it in..."

"you need to be a pack mule and carry 2 or three extra batteries -- it's that simple...."

"stop using all those new-fangled features of the phone, don't multi-task. Turn down the screen brightness...."

"buy the $70, no, wait, buy 2 $70 chargers, and make sure you prop the phone on them when you aren't using it..."

Sometimes people on this board sound absurd.

I'm going to wait for a phone that doesn't require me to live life 10 feet away from a charger at all times, spend $70 on a glorified toothbush charger, carry extra battery packs, or dim the screen and give up any multitasking.

It's a phone/PDA, it's supposed to make life more convenient, not make you it's slave. I think sometimes we get caught up in the shiny new toy to realize it's just a phone. There are dozens of other phones that can last a full day without charging.

Until Sprint/Palm engineers a better way around the battery flaw, I'll stick with my mesozoic 700w, which gets me email/voice/web for an entire day without a half-dozen strategically placed chargers, or changing how I use it.

If the battery problem is not exaggerated (unlikely, since it's been reported by several sources), Sprint will have a turkey on their hands and will need to release a new phone to replace it. I'll wait for that phone.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast