Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan07 View Post
    This is mentioned above by JustinZ, but I have found that the best way to maximize battery life without cutting down on usage is to lower the brightness. That is from my own experience, though.
    Agreed, screen brightness and length of time it remains on is a big power draw. The screen is probably the second biggest power draw after the radios. But I don't know that for sure.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinZ View Post
    Page 39 of the User's Guide gives several tips for maximizing battery life:

Maximizing Battery Life...
    Another battery drainer that can more insidious than many of the others you listed is the battery drain cause by increased CPU cycles due to background applications. The more you have open, the more the CPU will contribute to battery consumption.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Another battery drainer that can more insidious than many of the others you listed is the battery drain cause by increased CPU cycles due to background applications. The more you have open, the more the CPU will contribute to battery consumption.
    As a programmer, I don't think it's going to be as simple as that. Programs can suspend themselves pending an input that's relevant to the program. Background programs (if properly written) won't be sitting in a loop wasting clock cycles doing nothing. The OS will only wake them when the interrupt they want happens.

There will however be poorly written programs. Watch out for them. And some background programs are intended to run nonstop, such as music. (Alarms can request wake-ups every certain interval of time to minimize their use of clock cycles.)
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    By the way, it's supposed to be FIVE hour talk time. Palm Pre battery life revealed - 5 hour talk-time!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    If you plan on doing a lot of battery swapping, you may want to reconsidre the touchstone. If you are charging via USB, you'll be able to remove the back and swap the battery without the phone turning off. If you have a touchstone, you will not be able to have the touchstone maintain power to the phone and swap the battery due to the location of the touchstone induction coil on the rear of the case.
    In this case you would simply remove the micro USB from the TS and plug it into the Pre itself. Swap the batteries and then plug the TS back up. Simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Introducing Palm TouchStones(TM) Accessory - Charge your Pre by harnessing the energy from walking around using inductive coil technology via your gonads.

I don't think I have ever laughed so hard at a discussion board post ever. Everyone in my office was looking at me.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    Thanks good info! Presumably the fat batts don't normally have separate chargers, hence the problem?
    Even fat batteries fit in my charger, if that's what you're asking.

(You couldn't just buy another fat batt?)
    Besides the bulk and expense of buying another, I already had the stock battery. It seemed like a waste not to use it.

Besides, there are times that a slimmer profile is useful. For instance, I can't fit the 755p in my windshield mount when it's got that fat booty goin' on.

With the Pre, I think I'll keep it simple. HOWEVER, recent posts have me thinking about how difficult it apparently is to remove that Pre battery door. Looks like frequent charging is a good idea.

I see why they came up with the Touchstone, then.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    All these rumors of low battery life are giving me second thoughts about purchasing this weekend. Apparently an internal Sprint spec page gives the talk time as 2.5 hours. Several people have reported being told by Sprint reps that, while the phone is great, battery life is poor. However, some reviewers are saying battery life appears to be okay.

Last time I had a phone that didn't last me through the day, I got rid of it. My current lifestyle entails charging the phone every night while I'm sleeping and keeping it at my hip most of the day. It seems that if I get a Palm Pre, I'll need to change this lifestyle. I'm not keen on the alternatives that come to mind.

Can anyone suggest strategies we might use for getting the Pre through the day, aside from limiting use of it? Keeping spare batteries charged and carrying them around with me all day is not something I'll do.

My current inclination is to wait until an extended battery becomes available for the Pre, and then get the Pre -- not this weekend. However, it appears that a specialized Pre backing is required for the Touchstone, which probably rules out using an extended (fatter) battery with the Touchstone.
    How do you figure, There was a document that stated 5hrs..
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    I didn't read through this entire thread but just get the Seidio extended Centro battery or a Pre specific one when they make it. I thought the leaked business doc put the talk time at 5 hours though?
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    I figure I will have to use the touchstone at my office to make it thru the day. I also must get an extra battery when I travel. If I am stuck in O'hare, or DFW airports for 4-6 hours, I love using my phone, but if the battery is this bad, I must have a back up. The worst thing to happen is to be stuck at an airport and needing to jump on a conference call for an hour and your Treo is dead and you have no way to charge it. This is the reason I have always got extended battery for My Treo's I nver wanted to be in that situation, but hated logging around an extra battery.

I am concerned the lack of a good battery will be a serious problem for the Pre. It is being sold as a great New pda phone that will keep you connected to the cloud and the we, But this means you must have great battery life and all signs point to this being a negative for the Pre.

Also using the Phone for an hour does not mean to much, My Treo755p I can use for a few hours and the battery does not move to much. But from about 40% down to 10% it drain faster, IMO. I think battery do not drain at constant levels ,the more you drain the faster it goes, just my thoughts.

I hope I am not worring to much about battery life, sorry if I seem to be, but for me this is very important in using the device, and I am now truly worried Palm sacerficed for the sake of Form Battery life on this phone.

So I do think we need to figure out a good battery strategy.

Below is a link to more issues with battery life on the Pre.

Palm’s credible challenge to the iPhone

"The Pre’s battery, however, is easy to swap. That’s fortunate, because battery life is the Pre’s heartbreaker. On days when I used the Pre a lot, the battery was dead by late afternoon. On days when I used it only occasionally, it was dead by dinnertime. Yikes."

By David Pogue

Palm’s credible challenge to the iPhone | mydigitalfc.com
    Sprint client since 1998. Treo 650, Treo 700, Treo 755p, Palm Pre till it died--- now have HTC EVO
    Quote Originally Posted by notabun View Post
    I didn't read through this entire thread but just get the Seidio extended Centro battery or a Pre specific one when they make it. I thought the leaked business doc put the talk time at 5 hours though?
    Exactly what I saw and read. Now I know I'm not crazy. Who knows where this guy is getting 2.5hrs from. I don't think Palm would even consider launching it if it had that short of life. Especially being a phone that is supposed to do so much and integrate so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Well done. It's not too easy if you're under 25--we have a lot of those around here.
    Who's Billy Crystal? And why are a couple of lesbian princess' marrying?
    I've currently got a Touch Pro which also has a relatively short battery life but I get around it by keeping a Mini-USB cord plugged into my work computer and a charger in my living room. Whenever I am at work, I plug the phone into the USB cord to keep it charged while I'm working at my desk. At night I put it on the charger in my living room. Between the two, my phone is always charged. The only time I really kill it is when I am on the road (as a passenger) and play around on my phone the whole time or tether to my laptop. For that situation I recently bought a cheap power inverter for the car. Last time we were driving to my girlfriend's parents' place 4 hours away I could plug in my laptop and my phone and fire up Internet Connection Sharing so I could pass time goofing off online.
    If the battery is as bad as some reviewers are saying, Apple will have a field day with it and be giving out a lot of "I told you so's" about battery life and multitasking
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I hope this isn't a noob question, but are all micro-usb plugs the same? So would I be able to use the several micro-usb chargers that I have for my BB pearl with the Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hegemon View Post
    I hope this isn't a noob question, but are all micro-usb plugs the same? So would I be able to use the several micro-usb chargers that I have for my BB pearl with the Pre?
    Probably. Depends on how much current the Pre wants.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    If the battery is as bad as some reviewers are saying, Apple will have a field day with it and be giving out a lot of "I told you so's" about battery life and multitasking
    That and the cubic space you lose in a device because of the removable battery framework. Space that could be filled up with additional lithium-polymer goodness. Personally, I prefer the swappable battery though - it offers a lot more options in the long run (and options is something Apple isn't really keen on).
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    I would get the Centro battery charger or get the Centro high cap battery from Seidio.

I personally think the battery life will be ok. If it's anything like my Touch Pro, I'll have no complaints. And if you're near a desk with a computer, you can always keep it plugged in at work. I would much rather take a small power hit then not have the option to swap batteries. Just imagine if digital cameras had sealed batteries or laptops tha...nevermind the laptops...
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    All these rumors of low battery life are giving me second thoughts about purchasing this weekend. Apparently an internal Sprint spec page gives the talk time as 2.5 hours. Several people have reported being told by Sprint reps that, while the phone is great, battery life is poor. However, some reviewers are saying battery life appears to be okay.

Last time I had a phone that didn't last me through the day, I got rid of it. My current lifestyle entails charging the phone every night while I'm sleeping and keeping it at my hip most of the day. It seems that if I get a Palm Pre, I'll need to change this lifestyle. I'm not keen on the alternatives that come to mind.

Can anyone suggest strategies we might use for getting the Pre through the day, aside from limiting use of it? Keeping spare batteries charged and carrying them around with me all day is not something I'll do.

My current inclination is to wait until an extended battery becomes available for the Pre, and then get the Pre -- not this weekend. However, it appears that a specialized Pre backing is required for the Touchstone, which probably rules out using an extended (fatter) battery with the Touchstone.
    Do not have a bunch of pages open at once. Why leave 10 pages open just for the sake of it.....Of course, if you are using them at the time....fine, but when you are done with the page, close it. On my desktop, the more I leave open, the slower my computer. Lets be reasonable.
    My battery strategy is in place.

I just bought 2 Seidio 1350 batteries, 3 Blackberry folding microUSB travel chargers (700mA), and 2 'Centro' plug in battery chargers. Even with shipping it was well under $100.

On Saturday we will get 2 Pres and either 2 or 4 Touchstones depending on what kind of deal I can swing for them.

We will end up with 15% better batteries in the Pre's themselves, 2 charged stock sized spares to toss in the purse or back pocket. One unused charger that can be used for travel. And up to 4 Touchstones with the chargers to power them. (her lab, my work, 2 at home)

Once I sell my Blackberry and all its misc accessories I will just about break even too! Not bad!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast