Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    A co-worker of mine has a cousin who runs a Sprint partner store, not an official Sprint store. He just left my co-worker a message saying that he received 50 Pres and he needed to know if my co-worker wanted one because he's doing a list. My co-worker gave me his # and told me to call him. I spoke to him and he told me he'll put me on his list and guaranteed me a Pre. He told me he can't activate it until Saturday though, I asked him if I could buy it today, take it home, and activate it on Saturday (I'm in OCD Pre mode now). He said it can't leave the store until Saturday and can't leave the store without activating it. Anyone know if this is true? He told me to call him back at noon today. I'm hoping there might be a way around it. Thanks in advance.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    A co-worker of mine has a cousin who runs a Sprint partner store, not an official Sprint store. He just left my co-worker a message saying that he received 50 Pres and he needed to know if my co-worker wanted one because he's doing a list. My co-worker gave me his # and told me to call him. I spoke to him and he told me he'll put me on his list and guaranteed me a Pre. He told me he can't activate it until Saturday though, I asked him if I could buy it today, take it home, and activate it on Saturday (I'm in OCD Pre mode now). He said it can't leave the store until Saturday and can't leave the store without activating it. Anyone know if this is true? He told me to call him back at noon today. I'm hoping there might be a way around it. Thanks in advance.
    I have always bought phones outside of my contract (IE used ones) and activated them over the phone.

I have activated a BB with out a data plan. Even though the sprint yahoos in the store seem to think it's not possible. (I later swapped over to BB service, it's a pointless phone with out it!)

But it is possible that Sprint will not activate these phones (you call in to activate. In store, they do the same thing, just do it for you) until Sat, as they are doing this phone much differently than any phone in the past.
    hey Jimmie what area of NJ were you again? Id love to know if there was a place I was guaranteed one and not have to go thru a hassle. As far as activation, I think so, because of Palm profile that needs to be created.
    Quote Originally Posted by titansluvpre View Post
    hey Jimmie what area of NJ were you again? Id love to know if there was a place I was guaranteed one and not have to go thru a hassle. As far as activation, I think so, because of Palm profile that needs to be created.
    I am pretty much 100% sure that you create the palm profile right on the phone. The rep will be nothing that you couldn't do by yourself, I can pretty much assure you that.

Doesn't mean they will allow the ESN's to be activated before Saturday, but I am sure you could do it yourself.
    I was told by several stores in my area (Salt Lake City, UT) and Retentions that they had to activate the Pre in the store. I said I'm OCD about other people unpackaging and handling my phone...they said too bad.
    Who am I, sir? A Utah man am I A Utah man, sir, and will be till I die!
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    you cannot activate it.
    The ESN number will spoil the party, there was another review by this user about how bestbuy almost got it to activate but failed.
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    After saturday I am sure you could activate a Pre on your own but you won't be able to get one out of a store unactivated, without stealing it, to do so. You will have to wait till telesales sells them.
    So if I was looking to use my mother's $150 rebate for having her phone for X amount of time, however, getting the Palm Pre in my number, I would have to activate it with her line at the store, deactivate it when I get home, then reactivate it on my number?
    I cant really remember, but as far as getting the discounts...dont they have to check and tie it in to the line that is available for the upgrade?

I know in my case they will, as it is not my main line that is available for upgrade...and I will need to do an ESN switch afterwards to have my main line to have the PRE.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjcarter View Post
    So if I was looking to use my mother's $150 rebate for having her phone for X amount of time, however, getting the Palm Pre in my number, I would have to activate it with her line at the store, deactivate it when I get home, then reactivate it on my number?
    Yes....I do this once a year whenever I buy a new phone....have two lines whose contracts alternate years.
    Quote Originally Posted by titansluvpre View Post
    Yes....I do this once a year whenever I buy a new phone....have two lines whose contracts alternate years.
    I have 22 lines for friends and family so I'm doing this almost every month
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
    Quote Originally Posted by xchpstang View Post
    ha ha you serious??? If you are thats crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by xchpstang View Post
    Hilarious
    my guess is that you can, in theory, start activating sometime today (Wed 6-3-09) prior to 7pm PST.

Palm Pre Kickoff to Benefit Veterans, Jerry Seinfeld May Perform
    i am guaranteed two pres, but i wont get them until mon/tues pending UPS i am going through my companys sprint rep and he is sending them out on sat, so i envy you all who will get to play with this all weekend, while i sit and wait
  18.    #18  
    I just spoke to my contact, he said they are under strict orders not to sell or activate a Pre before the 6th. The store has 2 demo phones, one got the new firmware update OTA. He said it definitely fixed some bugs, he said there is still a slight delay opening apps if you have a few cards opened already. He also said more apps are showing up in the App Catalog. He said that gestures and flicking apps off the screen is awesome. He's not allowed to buy on Saturday he said, but he is definitely going to buy one after using the Pre in the store for the past few days. He said He's holding a Pre, a Touchstone, and a case for me to pick up Saturday morning.

Titansluvepre, I'm in the NNJ area, close to Hoboken and Newark. Check your PM.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Does anybody forsee any issues with this plan? I've never had to do it personally but I know many people that have. Will I still be able to do the MIR? Also, does anybody know if your phone number is tied to your Palm Profile? If so, I would want to create a "dummy" one when I get the phone activated for my mother's line, then create one of my own when I reactivate it on my line, right?
    Does anybody forsee any issues with this plan? I've never had to do it personally but I know many people that have. Will I still be able to do the MIR? Also, does anybody know if your phone number is tied to your Palm Profile? If so, I would want to create a "dummy" one when I get the phone activated for my mother's line, then create one of my own when I reactivate it on my line, right?
    Im in the same boat with u man, I do know that this will void your MIR, the phone has to be activated on the same line for 30 days. Im wondering the same thing though about swaping the phone, I remember in another thread a guy was told that the phone can only be activated on one line and never activated on another, but I dont believe that.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast