Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, here's the deal, I am not eligible for my upgrade until July 1st 2009. Well, I really don't want to wait until then to buy a phone. I also would rather not spend $600.00 when I could get it for $200.00.

I would like to hear what you think I should do. I have a few ideas:

1. Buy it now for full price and use their 30 day return policy to return the phone July 1st and simply get a new one when I am eligible.

2. Open a new line, switch my current number over to the new line and then cancel my original line.

I am open to any and all suggestions. And if anyone sees any flaws in my thinking (which many usually do).
    if you wait it will be better?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    1) Would work because all the info should be synced up to the 'cloud' Palm profile... but you'd have to change numbers..
    UK boy born and bred, usually proud of this, but rueing the fact that I won't be able to get my greasy mitts on one of these for months longer...
    Hmm, instead of going thru all that stuff you could just wait 24 days or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonR88 View Post
    Open a new line, switch my current number over to the new line and then cancel my original line.
    Wouldn't you have to pay an early termination fee on the canceled line?
    Buy at full price, then get the new one in July and sell that purchase on online. It might be worth more than full retail because it will come with no contract or contract extension.

I am assuming that its not possible to buy a Pre at full retail without a contract or extension. I could be wrong.
  7.    #7  
    To answer a few of the posts, yes I could wait but really really want one. I know I am being ridiculous but I can't help it.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Eagle View Post
    Wouldn't you have to pay an early termination fee on the canceled line?
    Shouldn't have to but of course I would check before taking that route.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    To answer a few of the posts, yes I could wait but really really want one. I know I am being ridiculous but I can't help it.
    Haha, I feel for you. I am normally a staunch opponent of early adoption, but I am just so sick of my BB Pearl and Verizon that I'll do basically anything to get this phone on day 1.

As for your question, if the 30 day purchase/return would actually work, then it seems like that's the best bet.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Yeah I'm stuck in the same boat buddy. I bought my Instinct in July last year. Being a Premier customer, I am eligible for a new phone every year. So of course that means I can't buy the Pre until July 1st.
    1. Buy it now for full price and use their 30 day return policy to return the phone July 1st and simply get a new one when I am eligible.
    I am in the same boat. Really really want the Pre, but have to wait until 7/1 because I had a warranty replacement on my treo 600 about 21 months ago to get my current Treo 755p! But, there is a serious flaw in your suggestion above. If you were to buy the Pre now, then Sprint would consider that a "new device" on your account and your upgrade status would reset to 0 months and you would have to wait 2 years before you could get the phone cheap! I have tried calling retentions, speaking to supervisors, etc., but everyone is being told that they can not change the upgrade date and are not to give any discounts on the Pre. So, looks like we are stuck either waiting an extra few weeks or paying more than 2x the price! Sorry!!
    I'm in the same shoes, but I've heard that you can get them to move the upgrade eligibility date. That's what I will try to have them do, all that's needed is a manager's approval. This has been done before and I suggest you give it a try, cuz I sure will.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    I am in the same boat. Really really want the Pre, but have to wait until 7/1 because I had a warranty replacement on my treo 600 about 21 months ago to get my current Treo 755p! But, there is a serious flaw in your suggestion above. If you were to buy the Pre now, then Sprint would consider that a "new device" on your account and your upgrade status would reset to 0 months and you would have to wait 2 years before you could get the phone cheap! I have tried calling retentions, speaking to supervisors, etc., but everyone is being told that they can not change the upgrade date and are not to give any discounts on the Pre. So, looks like we are stuck either waiting an extra few weeks or paying more than 2x the price! Sorry!!

I hear what you are saying but since I am not getting any discounts on June 6th doesn't that also mean I am not signing a 2 year contract?
    If you buy the phone for retail it shouldn't reset your phone upgrade option, but you do sign a service contract unless you already have an Everything plan of some sort.

I love having new tech and being the first to have it, but I just think it's dumb to try and jump through all these hoops when you can just wait 24 days. Just not worth the aggravation. Plus you get a month to see the negatives and things to avoid so you get a cleaner start. I'd probably make one effort to see if they can push it up a month, and if they say no, I'd just wait it out.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    I would just wait if I were you.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    If you buy the phone for retail it shouldn't reset your phone upgrade option,
    This is NOT true.. Sprint's upgrade policy states that it is based on how long your DEVICE has been on your account, regardless of how you purchases the device. So, if you buy it retail, buy it at a discount or even have a warranty replacement, that resets your clock since you have a new device! Annoying, but true!
    I dont blame you for not wanting to wait! My wife is in the same boat, but I will get one on day 1 so she can play with mine to smooth the wait.

I am hoping my 'friends' will negate this and move her upgrade date up.

Quote Originally Posted by DD007 View Post
    I'm in the same shoes, but I've heard that you can get them to move the upgrade eligibility date. That's what I will try to have them do, all that's needed is a manager's approval. This has been done before and I suggest you give it a try, cuz I sure will.
    This is NOT true.. Sprint's upgrade policy states that it is based on how long your DEVICE has been on your account, regardless of how you purchases the device. So, if you buy it retail, buy it at a discount or even have a warranty replacement, that resets your clock since you have a new device! Annoying, but true!
    This is NOT true. Both my wife and I have had warranty repairs/replacements AND I recently (like Jan or Feb) did an insurance claim and my upgrade counter did NOT reset. Of course, I made sure that it wouldnt change but they affirmed that it wouldnt...and it didnt.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    This is NOT true. Both my wife and I have had warranty repairs/replacements AND I recently (like Jan or Feb) did an insurance claim and my upgrade counter did NOT reset. Of course, I made sure that it wouldnt change but they affirmed that it wouldnt...and it didnt.
    Did you get a new Model, or just a replacement? When they say "device", they mean a specific type of phone. So, if you replaced it with the same exact phone, then you still have the same "device" on your account. I went from a Treo 600 to a 755p for my warranty replacement, and they considered that a "new device"
    just wait and stop trying to beat the system. when you purposely buy and return items you just raise prices for everyone else.
    I highly doubt that's 100% true or I wouldn't have gotten my Centro day 1 as I had continual warranty switch outs on my 700p up until about 3-4 months before I got my Centro with full discount and then some as did four other people on our account who were all in the same boat, some with not as many switch outs as I had. If you warranty switch outs are for the same model phone it shouldn't affect a thing. If they give you a different device that might be a different story.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast