Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    see...your reply to me was far from true with that little qualifier in there. And you should've made them note on your account about the model switch and your upgrade status. It's not your fault they couldn't replace it with another 600. And if you're talking insurance as opposed to warranty (as there's no chance in hell your 1yr warranty on the 600 was still valid when the 755 came out), then I'd put a little shame on you for letting that happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    I went from a Treo 600 to a 755p for my warranty replacement, and they considered that a "new device"
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Same here 7/1, so I guess I'll be reading & learning from the rest of you until 7/1.
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendrhino View Post
    Same here 7/1, so I guess I'll be reading & learning from the rest of you until 7/1.
    When's the party? Don't forget to order my Pre. My bday is 7/3
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    This is NOT true.. Sprint's upgrade policy states that it is based on how long your DEVICE has been on your account, regardless of how you purchases the device. So, if you buy it retail, buy it at a discount or even have a warranty replacement, that resets your clock since you have a new device! Annoying, but true!
    I also got the same information from an ecare email. However I had two Retention reps tell me that I qualify for new customer pricing, since my contract was up March 2009. Are you sure getting a new device resets your clock?

I started out with the Motorola Q back in March 2007. I got it swapped for the Sprint Mogul. My Mogul's keyboard stopped working, so they gave me an HTC Touch instead. Sold the Touch and bought an HTC Diamond off ebay. It was used it for 5-6 months, then I switched to another ebay'ed HTC Touch Pro, which I am using now. My eligibility date has never changed!
    Last edited by sheltem; 06/03/2009 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Grammar Goblin
    Quote Originally Posted by JonR88 View Post
    I would like to hear what you think I should do. I have a few ideas:

1. Buy it now for full price and use their 30 day return policy to return the phone July 1st and simply get a new one when I am eligible.
    I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear, but...

With all due respect, doesn't this option strike you as just dishonest?

The price we pay for these phones is heavily subsidized, with the expectation and understanding that the company will make the subsidy back (and more) on the contract. If you return the phone, it'll be used, and can't be sold for the same price as a new one. If you honestly were dissatisfied with the device and end up preferring a different one, Sprint has a policy of eating that cost to keep you as a customer. But there is a real cost to them to do so.

If you do what you outlined above - return the phone before 30 days and then choose the same phone later, IMHO you'd be gaming the system and basically stealing the depreciation cost of the device, just because you weren't willing to wait a crummy 24 days to the date when your agreement says you'd be eligible.
  6.    #26  
    Just spoke with Sprint and here is what they told me:

1. If you pay full price for the phone then you are NOT signing a 2 year contract

2. and in regards to "resetting" your eligibility, if I buy the phone at full price on June 6th ($550.00), that is not the case. I will still be eligible for a full upgrade July 1st as long as I, a.) Pay full price with NO discounts and b.) return the Pre in "like" new condition with everything that came in the Pre Box (including the box).

So there you have it. Straight from Sprint Customer Service to the Palm Pre Community.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post

The price we pay for these phones is heavily subsidized, with the expectation and understanding that the company will make the subsidy back (and more) on the contract. If you return the phone, it'll be used, and can't be sold for the same price as a new one. If you honestly were dissatisfied with the device and end up preferring a different one, Sprint has a policy of eating that cost to keep you as a customer. But there is a real cost to them to do so.

If you do what you outlined above - return the phone before 30 days and then choose the same phone later, IMHO you'd be gaming the system and basically stealing the depreciation cost of the device, just because you weren't willing to wait a crummy 24 days to the date when your agreement says you'd be eligible.
    ^ Well put. I agree 100%
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post

Dishonest to whom? if I choose to do this then I plan on being upfront with them about what I plan on doing. As for gaming the system, I don't believe that I am. I am simply playing by the rules that they set up. Not me. I have called everyone I can at Sprint to see if they can move my eligibility up by a few weeks, they said no, which is fine.

Going to your first point, these phones ARE heavily subsidized by us, the consumers. By the contracts that we sign and the money we pay every month, which in my case is over $200.00 per month (multiple lines). And before that I was paying over $300.00 per month before the Simply Everything plan for $99.00 per month.

As for stealing, I don't think so. When you use a phrase like "stealing the depreciation" you are very much mistaken. I am not taking another's Personal Property without their consent or knowledge. And you know that this phone will be returned, reconditioned (not that it will need to be) and resold for $200.00 to someone else.

So in answer your question, No, I do not think for one second that what I am doing is dishonest.
    Just got my upgrade push back... Told ya'll it can be done.

12:04:13 PM Samantha I see that your upgrade eligibility is the $150 as of 7/1/2009.
    12:05:40 PM Darwin D. I wanted to get a Palm Pre on the 6 of this month, is there any way to have that date push back since I'm a Premier Customer. I really don't want to wait another month to get the phone, I've been following this thing around since Jan.
    12:09:53 PM Samantha I apologize that option is not available. I do not have the authority to change the upgrade eligibility. Please note that on 6/6 the Pre will only be available in stores, However the phone will be available online shortly there after. This way you can go into the store and see how it works and all and save even more by receiving waived shipping and upgrade charges by ordering online.
    12:11:32 PM Darwin D. Any way you can check with a manager and see if they would be able to do it. I know it has been done before not on my account, but others, If a manager approves it.
    12:12:33 PM Samantha One moment please
    12:12:39 PM Darwin D. Thx
    12:16:03 PM Samantha I will be happy to let you speak with a supervisor, one moment please while I transfer you please.
    12:16:11 PM Darwin D. Thank you
    12:18:38 PM System You are being transferred to another queue. Please stand by...
    12:18:39 PM System Samantha has left this session!
    12:21:28 PM System Brittain has joined this session!
    12:21:28 PM System Connected with Brittain
    12:21:38 PM Brittain Thank you for contacting Sprint, my name is Brittain, a Supervisor with Sprint Ecare, please allow me a moment to review the chat so that I can better assist you today.
    12:22:17 PM Darwin D. ok
    12:23:53 PM Brittain I see that you are inquiring about an early upgrade tot he Palm Pre is that correct?
    12:26:01 PM Darwin D. Yes, I currently own an instinct which as been pretty dissapointing to say the least, the Pre looks pretty solid. I have a store nearby me and would liike to get the phone first thing Saturday morning, my only obstacle is my upgrade date. I've been told that a managers approval can fix this problem, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    12:29:24 PM Brittain I understand Stanley, I can understand your anticipation and request as it is a great phone.
    12:30:23 PM Darwin D. I've been following the phone since it was announce back in Jan at the CES 09
    12:30:29 PM Brittain I am going to review your account and see what options we available to you.
    12:33:43 PM Brittain I apologize for the delay, one moment please.
    12:33:48 PM Darwin D. Thx.
    12:36:54 PM Brittain For this past cycle it was, however the cycles prior to that no.
    12:37:09 PM Brittain I apologize I pasted the wrong thing to you.
    12:37:33 PM Brittain I am checking with a member of management above me for this request now Stanley.
    12:37:43 PM Darwin D. Thank you.
    12:42:39 PM Brittain All right Stanley, I have requested the early upgrade for you.
    12:43:10 PM Darwin D. How/When will I know when it's all set?
    12:43:59 PM Brittain My team lead has allowed me to place Special instructions on the account stating to honor the full 150.00 upgrade early effective today.
    12:44:23 PM Brittain However the online system will not reflect this, the agent will have to manually apply this credit for you.
    12:44:39 PM Darwin D. Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate this.
    12:44:54 PM Brittain I am still checking for the mail in rebate and how that will be affected by this and if any special instructions will be required for that.
    12:49:49 PM Brittain So what I recommend is printing this chat if you are able, and then when you go to the store, advise them to look in the special instructions on the account and it will state the you are eligible for the full 150.00 upgrade credit and all the savings that come with it.
    12:51:04 PM Darwin D. Ok, will that only be viewable at sprint stores? or all others selling a pre like a Best Buy or a Radioshack?
    12:53:48 PM Brittain I believe that you will be best going to a sprint corporate store and speaking directly with the manager on duty and take the chat with you.
    12:54:23 PM Brittain Because this is going to be a highly anticipated phone in which it will be in limited release at first and in high demand, so there will be a lot of people trying to get it.
    12:54:42 PM Darwin D. OK, thanks for all the help, trully appreciate this. Thx a million
    12:55:09 PM Brittain You are quite welcome.
    12:55:09 PM Brittain It is my job to ensure that I have fully resolved the issues that prompted you to chat with me. Have I resolved all of your issues today?
    12:55:40 PM Darwin D. Yes, I'm all set. Thx
    12:55:54 PM Brittain Wonderful thank you, it has been a pleasure, and enjoy the rest of your day!
    12:55:59 PM Brittain We value your business and would appreciate you taking time to respond to a brief survey about your chat experience. To ensure you are able to participate, please disable all popup blockers before pressing the exit button to end the chat session. Additional feedback or comments regarding Sprint, your chat or chat agent can be sent to: sprint.customerappreciation @ connextions.com
    I was not able to get my upgrade date changed since it's not till September but I was able to get an additional $75. I sent the email below to ecare.

Hi, I have been a sprint customer for 7 years and am
    > interested in
    > upgrading my phone but I am not eligible for the full
    > rebate on a new
    > phone until September. Can you please change my
    > upgrade date to June so
    > I can get the 2-year upgrade price?
    > I have been a loyal customer for 7 years and would like to
    > renew my
    > contract with Sprint but I am interested in purchasing a
    > new phone now.

Their response......

Thank you for your reply.

The upgrade eligibility date cannot be changed on the account. I
    apologize for the inconvenience due to this.

As per the Rebate offer, your phone is eligible for $75.00 instant
    rebate as of now. In September 2009, this phone will become eligible
    for the $150.00 rebate against the purchase of a new phone.

Since you have been a valued customer from the year 2002, I am offering
    you an additional $75.00 credit on the purchase of a new handset. This
    credit will be adjusted against the charges on the invoice and will
    serve as an instant rebate.

The $75.00 saving on the phone requires a new two-year Sprint Subscriber
    Agreement.
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    When's the party? Don't forget to order my Pre. My bday is 7/3
    So your saying I should start drinking on the 1st to celebrate your birthday? & hope I do the same as I did last year...? Interesting thought/suggestion
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonR88 View Post
    Dishonest to whom? if I choose to do this then I plan on being upfront with them about what I plan on doing. As for gaming the system, I don't believe that I am. I am simply playing by the rules that they set up. Not me. I have called everyone I can at Sprint to see if they can move my eligibility up by a few weeks, they said no, which is fine.

Going to your first point, these phones ARE heavily subsidized by us, the consumers. By the contracts that we sign and the money we pay every month, which in my case is over $200.00 per month (multiple lines). And before that I was paying over $300.00 per month before the Simply Everything plan for $99.00 per month.

As for stealing, I don't think so. When you use a phrase like "stealing the depreciation" you are very much mistaken. I am not taking another's Personal Property without their consent or knowledge. And you know that this phone will be returned, reconditioned (not that it will need to be) and resold for $200.00 to someone else.

So in answer your question, No, I do not think for one second that what I am doing is dishonest.

You premier?...Im in the same boat...and planned to do the same thing.except I would go back to my old phone for a day or so...then get the PRE for 199 with new 2 year contract.

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by DD007 View Post
    What Department did you call and what is the number?
    I switched to a Curve from the Instinct and my upgrade date remained the same. The Curve was already in the house and had been paid for seperate from my account, so that could explain it.

Anyway, $150 isn't a big enough deal to try to persuade Sprint to let me extend my contract a month early. I'd rather have the freedom to make a choice next year and see what the current state of things is then, who knows if AT&T, Verizon or T-Mobile will have killer 4G or the next be-all-end-all cellphone.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    You will be returning the phone before the 30 days which will null and void any changes to your contract and you will not pay any fees, when you purchase a phone they explain that part of the return policy to you. Therefore you can purchase it July 1st with no problems. But isnt that too much of a hassle?
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DD007 View Post
    Did not work for me. They told me to call back Saturday because the don't have any full information on that yet.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Yeah I tried to do it through online chat. Didn't work. I even had been transferred to a manager and they still wouldn't let me change my upgrade from July to June.
    I called telesales and asked for an early upgrade option didn't mention the pre and they said sure then they mentioned the pre and said that they will call me on june 6 at 9am the real shocker is that they offered me early upgrades on all my lines I always get the upgrade but never have I received the deal on all lines try it its worth a shot just complain about the Treo 800w you can also call tech support and tell them that the 800w is having issues and that you work long hours therefore you can't really see a tech in the stores and get it swapped out for the Pro if they ask what type of problems dropped calls poor battery life and it freezes from time to time they mentioned rainbow lines I said sure why not and free Pro
    I called telesales and asked for an early upgrade option didn't mention the pre and they said sure then they mentioned the pre and said that they will call me on june 6 at 9am the real shocker is that they offered me early upgrades on all my lines I always get the upgrade but never have I received the deal on all lines try it its worth a shot just complain about the Treo 800w you can also call tech support and tell them that the 800w is having issues and that you work long hours therefore you can't really see a tech in the stores and get it swapped out for the Pro if they ask what type of problems dropped calls poor battery life and it freezes from time to time they mentioned rainbow lines I said sure why not and they said i'd be getting a replacement which happens to be the Treo 850 *aka* free Pro
    Why even pay full price ? Just open a new account with $199 pre/ 450 min everything data, cancel 7/2 and pay the $35 restock fee, prorated data plan charges, and then buy the pre on your original account. If they were more flexible, people wouldn't be scheming so much that are within 30 days of full discount. So you pay less than a $100 when Sprint was going to bone you for $275 to get it 6/6. No guilt --They set themselves up for it !
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast