Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 81 to 93 of 93
  1. #81  
    Wasnt it mentioned(Dont remember what thread) that there will be an on-screen keyboard available for download Day 1? If so, as smartly it should, there should be no problem typing in landscape with an onscreen keyboard.
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by titansluvpre View Post
    Wasnt it mentioned(Dont remember what thread) that there will be an on-screen keyboard available for download Day 1? If so, as smartly it should, there should be no problem typing in landscape with an onscreen keyboard.
    No but it's been mentioned that it could be developed and added by 3rd party. I think that there would be a problem typing in landscape because a QWERTY on a 3.1" screen would be noticeably tighter than on a 3.5".
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

    Sprint customer since 2001
  3. notabun's Avatar
    Posts
    225 Posts
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    #83  
    The Samsung Omnia has a 3.1" screen and their landscape QWERTY was pretty usable IMO. I hope a software KB becomes available soon after launch at least for the web browser.
  4. #84  
    I don't personally get the on-screen keyboard desire. It doesn't seem like it would be that challenging to turn the phone and use the keyboard given the fast screen orientation switching we've seen in the videos.

    Having said that, typing intensive sites (such as this one) will be browsed by me in portrait.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I don't personally get the on-screen keyboard desire. It doesn't seem like it would be that challenging to turn the phone and use the keyboard given the fast screen orientation switching we've seen in the videos.

    Having said that, typing intensive sites (such as this one) will be browsed by me in portrait.
    Yeah, after everyone wanted a physical keyboard, now everyone wants a software one LOL.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

    Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  6. #86  
    Some screen specs

    Pre - 3.1" 320x480 16.7m Capacitive
    Omina HD - 3.7" 360x480 16.7m Capacitive
    Toshiba TG01 - 4.1" 480x800 256k Resistive
    Iphone 3G - 3.5" 320x480 16.7m Capacitive

    Palm could have 3 models - use the same cpu, gpu etc..

    Palm Pre - portrait keyboard 3.1" screen
    Palm Pre Touch - 3.8"-4.0" all touchscreen
    Palm Pre X - 3.5" with slide out landscape keybaord
  7. brum's Avatar
    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post
    Some screen specs
    Palm Pre - portrait keyboard 3.1" screen
    Palm Pre Touch - 3.8"-4.0" all touchscreen
    Palm Pre X - 3.5" with slide out landscape keybaord
    Dunno where you got that ^ from but I like it
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
  8. #88  
    Before I get flamed - Apple strength is that they have kept the screen real estate the same size because of developers but if I am correct the way web/os is developed with Css the apps are more flexible dealing with different screen sizes.

    Screen size can change but Palm must keep the ratios the same of width to height.

    The way I see they have positioned the Pre is this - its smaller than the Iphone and about the size of the BBeries- it can do all the BBery does if you want it for non corporte email and alot more.

    The Pre is really the BBerry killer. Coming soon will the the true Iphone killer the Pre with a larger screen than the Iphone say 3.8" to 4.0".

    Iphone will be caught in the middle - that's a strategy that can work. Taking Iphone from above and below.
  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post
    Iphone 3G - 3.5" 320x480 16.7m Capacitive
    I've read the iPhone is actually 262K.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

    Sprint customer since 2001
  10. Webby_s's Avatar
    Posts
    279 Posts
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    #90  
    Thanks for all your insight all! (no pun intended) But this thing will be awesome anyway you look at it!

    Can't wait for the Pre.
  11. #91  
    Apple iPhone 3G Specs & Features (Phone Scoop)

    Type: LCD (Color TFT/TFD)
    Resolution: 320 x 480 pixels
    3.5" diagonal
    Colors: 16.7 million (24-bit)

    CNET says: 32-bit (128K colors)

    Wikipedia says: The touchscreen is a 9 cm (3.5 in) liquid crystal display (320×480 px at 6.3 px/mm, 160 ppi, HVGA) with scratch-resistant glass,[32] and can render 262,144 colors

    Softpedia says: iPhone 3G can display up to 16 million colors.
    Last edited by lopezpm; 06/03/2009 at 01:34 PM.
  12. Auzo's Avatar
    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    355 Global Posts
    #92  
    Hmm, there seems to be a lot of conflicting info on the iPhone display. If I had to take a guess I would say that the iPhone uses a 6-bit panel (6 bit for each blue, green, and red = 18 bit. 2^18 = 262k colors) and uses dithering techniques to create the rest of the 16.7million colors of an 8 bit panel (24 bit total) just like a lot of computer LCD monitors do.
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by Auzo View Post
    Hmm, there seems to be a lot of conflicting info on the iPhone display. If I had to take a guess I would say that the iPhone uses a 6-bit panel (6 bit for each blue, green, and red = 18 bit. 2^18 = 262k colors) and uses dithering techniques to create the rest of the 16.7million colors of an 8 bit panel (24 bit total) just like a lot of computer LCD monitors do.
    You lost me there, but what I do know is that it looks great.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Posting Permissions