Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31
  1.    #1  
    Businessweek article by one of the guys from PreDevCamp, and he's an angry little man...

    Nothing really that new in what he says: new iPhone, few apps, blah, blah; but what has me worried is that Businessweek is mainstream media, and if your local newspaper, across the country, does its research badly you could have loads of articles like this popping up. People who aren't in the know technically are much more likely to discount Palm then on...

    Check the article.
    UK boy born and bred, usually proud of this, but rueing the fact that I won't be able to get my greasy mitts on one of these for months longer...
  2. #2  
    They guy has some very valid points, obviously i believe some are based on the fact that he is upset at palm, but others are very valid. The fact that palm has no idea how to market is a HUGE problem. The fact that they blew off developers, thats a HUGE problem.

    Palm has made some HUGE mistakes if you ask me. Putting the pre up a few days b4 Apple has its conference, stupid. They should have released this a couple weeks before, brought hype up, and tried to steal the thunder from apple.

    Palm has a lot to learn, they should really look into brighter people to make some of their decisions.
  3. #3  
    Wow, that article was pretty slanted, imo. I continue to be befuddled by people that write stuff without ever touching the device.

    But everyone is entitled (sort of) to their opinion. This is just a junk article. That's my opinion.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

    Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
  4. jewel's Avatar
    Posts
    638 Posts
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    #4  
    The writer evidently has an axe to grind. We couldn't expect an objective opinion from him regarding the matter.
  5. #5  
    Palm has to prove themselves again, no doubt. But looking at the demand for the Pre, and considering the lack of advertising/hyping they've done so far, calling it a fail at this point sure sounds a bit fanboyish.
  6. #6  
    When the Execs appear on tv, they always say.."Iphone....Blackberry.....all those products are great but PRE is for the rest of us". Basically saying that Palm wants to be separate from the rest of the crowd.

    IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
  7. #7  
    i for one am glad it's getting negative press - more phones for us! the lack of advertising and abundance of negative press might just work in our favor.
  8. #8  
    I can't believe this Hurley guy! He is REALLY angry at Palm. Now he has to go whining in major publications? And not only is he whining, there are quotes taken out of context. This is a hatchet job.

    And since when do people buy a phone for great applications? Are you kidding me? Sure, they help, but when I buy a phone I'm looking at what it comes with, not what I might be able to add to it later.

    This guy has an overinflated sense of his own importance. It's a shame Business Week bought into it.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  9. #9  
    Whats with everyone thinking that the PRE has to do damage to Apple?? Its not going to happen...regardless if you launched this phone weeks ago or a couple days before Apples big convention.

    There is a reason it is getting launched at this time....it is nearing the time were people who have original Iphones their 2 yr contracts are about up. Would some of those Iphoners switch to the PRE...sure.

    The PRE itself will not be the almight Iphone killer....its WebOS that is important. Why do you think AT&T and Verizon want to get thier hands on WebOS capable phones now? And I am more shocked by AT&T wanting it, considering if the PRE does do great it is putting it in direct competition with the Iphone.

    But I do agree....I hope the PRE becomes not another Iphone clone....but the phone you can say oh you have an Iphone? Well I have a PRE....
  10. #10  
    And I am more shocked by AT&T wanting it, considering if the PRE does do great it is putting it in direct competition with the Iphone.
    ATT probably wants some competition for the Iphone so they can pressure Apple into giving them better pricing on the iphone so they can make more profit from it.
  11. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by tntsniper View Post
    They guy has some very valid points, obviously i believe some are based on the fact that he is upset at palm, but others are very valid. The fact that palm has no idea how to market is a HUGE problem. The fact that they blew off developers, thats a HUGE problem.

    Palm has made some HUGE mistakes if you ask me. Putting the pre up a few days b4 Apple has its conference, stupid. They should have released this a couple weeks before, brought hype up, and tried to steal the thunder from apple.

    Palm has a lot to learn, they should really look into brighter people to make some of their decisions.
    I disagree , its is not a traditional marketing and blowing money.
    Its a different type of marketing , where the first buyers kind of turn into fanboys / or girls or whatever, and spread the word.
    Go check how the marketing was done for Wii as opposed to say XBOX or PS3
    We will wait and see how many they sell after the cows come home.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin C View Post
    ATT probably wants some competition for the Iphone so they can pressure Apple into giving them better pricing on the iphone so they can make more profit from it.
    But say if the PRE and WebOS REALLY takes off....wouldnt this be a slap to Apple that AT&T wants this? Im not sure when AT&T's exclusitivity with Apple runs out, as I dont really follow anything Iphone at all.

    I understand AT&T wanting HTC products as many businesses will not use Iphones for corporate work...so they need those Winmo based phones.

    I've just always figured AT&T would want to keep a happy hand w/ Apple. Sure I have seen different surveys as far signal strength and data speeds...but there is no way especially in my area that AT&T is even remotely close to Verizons or Sprints. If Verizon could get the Iphone it would put AT&T under...possibly even behind Sprint.
  13. #13  
    I'm beginning to wonder... is it even possible to make a negative Pre article without once mentioning the almighty iPhone???

    This is getting ridiculous people... the phone isn't even out yet!
  14. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #14  
    wow, cry baby,

    this guy wanted to make some money now that he is ignored by PALM he is taking it to the mainstream media.

    I read the link the article pointed in its entirety , this guy wanted to sign NDA and be an insider.

    Now that he is kicked out, he is crying out loud.
  15. #15  
    He must've shorted a lot of shares.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  16. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I can't believe this Hurley guy! He is REALLY angry at Palm. Now he has to go whining in major publications? And not only is he whining, there are quotes taken out of context. This is a hatchet job.

    And since when do people buy a phone for great applications? Are you kidding me? Sure, they help, but when I buy a phone I'm looking at what it comes with, not what I might be able to add to it later.

    This guy has an overinflated sense of his own importance. It's a shame Business Week bought into it.
    very well said , he was ignored , so he is at them , businessweek is turning in to Business Weak
  17. #17  
    This guy wrote Iphone has outsold the Razr - the Razr has sold over 50 million (conservative) the Iphone - near 20-25m when the latest quarterly figures are in.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by i.freakin.heart.palm View Post
    i for one am glad it's getting negative press - more phones for us! the lack of advertising and abundance of negative press might just work in our favor.
    ehhhhhh... I wouldn't be so quick to toot that horn. It's in all of our best interests that the Pre has impressive sales figures. Otherwise, there may likely be no Palm a year from now.

    But I see your point as it relates to folks lined up on "opening day" to grab one.
  19. Loogie's Avatar
    Posts
    91 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    #19  
    AT&T (and other providers) could care less about having one product in competition with another on their network. As long as they have the devices that make new customers come TO their network and keep existing ones from leaving. Their ket consideration is the cost of bringing the device on board and the cost of supporting it. If AT&T thinks that having the Pre and other WebOS devices will bring in customers who haven't come to them for the iPhone for whatever reason, then they'll get the devices.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    I'm beginning to wonder... is it even possible to make a negative Pre article without once mentioning the almighty iPhone???

    This is getting ridiculous people... the phone isn't even out yet!
    All smartphones automatically get compared to the Iphone....its just the way it is. Its always going to be, well the phone can do this but the Iphone does it just as good or better.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions