Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loogie View Post
    AT&T (and other providers) could care less about having one product in competition with another on their network. As long as they have the devices that make new customers come TO their network and keep existing ones from leaving. Their ket consideration is the cost of bringing the device on board and the cost of supporting it. If AT&T thinks that having the Pre and other WebOS devices will bring in customers who haven't come to them for the iPhone for whatever reason, then they'll get the devices.
    Well said!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    ...This is getting ridiculous people... the phone isn't even out yet!

This line is actually getting a bit tired. And this is hardly the first time this lop-sided observation has been leveled here.

Why is it okay to heap mounds of PRAISE upon a device prior to launch, but the first mention of negative press solicits cries of, "The phone isn't even out yet!".

And I'm not casting dispersion here. I want the Pre to be a huge success as much as the next guy. But let's be fair here. If people are going to go walking around hyping this device to other folk and making Pre avatars for themselves prior to its release, then the same people shouldn't take issue when valid claims are being made that may paint the device in a slightly negative light. Because they may be based on just the same amount of informed speculation as your possitive data.

Just smells like a double standard to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Renderhaus View Post
    This line is actually getting a bit tired. And this is hardly the first time this lop-sided observation has been leveled here.

Why is it okay to heap mounds of PRAISE upon a device prior to launch, but the first mention of negative press solicits cries of, "The phone isn't even out yet!".

And I'm not casting dispersion here. I want the Pre to be a huge success as much as the next guy. But let's be fair here. If people are going to go walking around hyping this device to other folk and making Pre avatars for themselves prior to its release, then the same people shouldn't take issue when valid claims are being made that may paint the device in a slightly negative light. Because they may be based on just the same amount of informed speculation as your possitive data.

Excellent post.
    The problem is that this person isn't nearly objective. Because of some perceived slight that he thinks happened, he's being a whiny little b****. Honestly, BGR was more objective than this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    The problem is that this person isn't nearly objective. Because of some perceived slight that he thinks happened, he's being a whiny little b****. Honestly, BGR was more objective than this.
    Understood, and point well taken.

I'm not saying nobody's allowed to cry "foul". But I just think the "The phone isn't even out yet" card should be left in the deck. Because it could even more easily be played against all those (including myself) who have gone on record parroting POSSITIVE things they have either read or heard about the device - with no first-hand confirmation that any of it is really true.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renderhaus View Post

Excellent point.
    Some of what this guy wrote is just ridiculous, to wit:

Several of the initial features that were touted to customers in January aren't living up to the hype. The browser will not support Adobe (ADBE) Flash on release, and many Sprint features users have grown accustomed to such as Sprint PictureMail, Sprint Music, and the Sprint Digital Lounge won't work on the Pre. For mobile Internet users, the ability to use your computer to access the Internet via the Pre, a method known as tethering, is not an option.
    First, it was never claimed that Flash would be on the Pre at launch. In fact, it was specifically announced that Flash would come later. Of course, what makes this news at all is precisely that there's no word of when or even if the iPhone will get full Flash support.

Second, each of those Sprint "features" are superseded by industry-standard capabilities that are better than the Sprint offering. At least, PictureMail and Music; I don't know--and I bet 99 out of 100 people don't know--what "Digital Lounge" is. I'd bet 100 out of 100 people, if they did know, wouldn't give a damn.

Third, tethering was certainly briefly mentioned in the initial online promotional materials before being quickly removed. To my knowledge, though, it was never explicitly announced as a capability. And, of course, it's something the iPhone doesn't yet have and, when it does, will likely be more expensive than most people would want to spend. It's also something Sprint could easily add, and there are hints that they already have if you're willing to pay for it.

The point of going through this exercise is to demonstrate that in his anger at Palm for what, as far as I'm concerned, was at least partly his own fault, this guy is throwing out any negative implication he can think of--whether or not it's meaningful or valid. If he's not outright lying (which I think he seems to be, in some cases), he's being very misleading. Frankly, I'm shocked. He obviously wants to see Palm fail, and after reading this I think Palm did precisely the right thing by dissociating themselves from him.

Pathetic and weak. And I write this not as a Pre fanboy, but just as someone who hates seeing a petty, vindictive screed like this printed in a mainstream publication without any kind of counterpoint offered.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  8. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Read this from the comment section over from the BW article........

BTHoon

Jun 3, 2009 5:49 PM GMT
    I must say as well that this article, written by someone with a bit of emulator experience at best really comes off as bitterness and nothing more. Clearly he does not recall that the only way to develop for the iPhone at launch was via web applications accessed via Safari with NO vetting process. His unfounded statement that apps will be poorly written and rushed assumes that NO vetting will be done in the PRE app store. That is untrue. Lastly, and I'm speaking as someone who HAS the emulator and the Mojo SDK on my laptop RIGHT NOW, I will say that the Pre is VERY easy to write for and I am really enjoying it. I am one of those "unseasoned" developers he's talking about. By unseasoned I mean I have 12 years of web development experience, 7 of Javascript and make a good living that way. See, for him "unseasoned" merely means you can't program in Objective C. For the HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of web developers out there, this is a way to make quality applications using technology you already know. ok REAL last bit. I'm pretty sure he's right about the Pre failing. If Apple announces a new iPhone with significant improvements next week, it's going to really hurt Palm. Sad
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    If you can afford to spend $199 on a phone in this economy, would you purchase a phone that's been in the marketplace for two years, has sold more units than the Motorola (MOT) Razr, and is supported by tens of thousands of available applications, or would you purchase an unproven phone from a company teetering on the brink of extinction, or at least irrelevance?
    Ok so what he's saying is it's better to spend $199 on a phone using two year old tech than to buy something that's using the latest and greatest.

I've got an 8 year old motorbike that's tried and tested that I'm willing to sell him at the same price as a brand new model

Of course this is a guy who spent a lot of time, and probably money, trying to set up a developers camp for a product that's rubbish from a company on the brink of collapse
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    This ***** has no basis for his doom preaching.
    Check the David Pogue's review. !!!!!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12