1.    #1  
    i was wondering, can you swipe down from card view to send open apps into the notification bar
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $you$ $can$ $only$ $put$ $them$ $in$ $the$ &$quot$;$minimized$&$quot$; $card$ $view$. $Meaning$ $if$ $you$ $go$ $to$ $card$ $view$, $your$ $app$ $will$ $still$ $be$ $there$, $running$ $right$ $where$ $you$ $left$ $off$, $but$ $I$ $don$'$t$ $think$ $you$ $can$ $minimize$ $them$ $beyond$ $that$.
    I'm not sure what you're thinking of, but in any case I'd say no.

First, to my knowledge, there's no downward swipe gesture. Even closing the app menu, which opens from and closes to the bottom of the screen, requires an upward swipe (or maybe a center button press, can't remember).

Second, the notification bar isn't at all the same thing as, say, the Windows taskbar. It's closest analog, I think, would be the Windows system tray, in that the items there are application snippets that are used exclusively for access to application features and notifications. It's not as if an app can just "live" on the notification bar while it's idle.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    the answer is no but I think that it would be cool. I know it would mak the system that much more complex, but I think it would make it that much more fun to play with too. I have yet to see the entire bar used up with the small notification icons
    since cards are live, keeping a specific webpage open for later use eats ram i would guess? especially wile music or something else that is large is happening. on the other hand, cards are more convenient than bookmarking a page or putting it in your launcher if you dont want to keep it around/dont need it for more than a few hours.

moving the card to the bottom of the screen (thus getting rid of the card which becomes a notification) could be the answer. i kno the notification bar is for live things that are happening in the background, so maybe paused cards on the notification bar could just be a different color, like grey. once you tap the notification bar, then the larger notifications could display, and for paused web pages, maybe it would show the url and a small picture of the card from where you left it. and if you tap on the large notification, the card would come back in full screen, making it live again.

i think this would be very useful. it could be something palm implements into a later version of webos, maybe version 2 or something, because i have a lot of memory problems and "too many cards" notifications. when i have that many, often it is because i am holding a card there to use later and dont need it live at that particular moment.

would there be a specific forum where i should take this idea?
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Try the Patches forum and make a request.
    I've been thinking of downward swipes for a while, they 'seem' to do the same thing as clicking on a card when in card view. Meaning, it brings the card into focus.

Also, more of a Palm issue, I never liked the notification bar. Why put a black bar that further constricts the tiny screen on the bottom? The 'home' screen just sits there with no useful purpose. I understand they would have trouble implementing notifications if cards are open, but, couldn't you just use the home button to peek at small icons in the free space in card view? Thus giving the home button a lot more purpose in life!? rawrrawrara stupid designers
    Last edited by grynv; 12/11/2009 at 11:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by grynv View Post
    Try the Patches forum and make a request.
    I've been thinking of downward swipes for a while, they 'seem' to do the same thing as clicking on a card when in card view. Meaning, it brings the card into focus.

Also, more of a Palm issue, I never liked the notification bar. Why put a black bar that further constricts the tiny screen on the bottom? The 'home' screen just sits there with no useful purpose. I understand they would have trouble implementing notifications if cards are open, but, couldn't you just use the home button to peek at small icons in the free space in card view? Thus giving the home button a lot more purpose in life!? rawrrawrara stupid designers
    You don't like the notification bar?? you mean the best notification system ever implemented on a smartphone?

Sell you Pre....now
    i really like the notification bar, and think my suggestions would make more use of it, but i am one for smaller cards. but in the mean time, i want all my incoming communications to pop up on the notification bar, so i want all the email clients and social networking sites to hop on (facebook synergy?) which is very doable
    Last edited by patricksmangan; 12/11/2009 at 01:28 PM.
    I vote to not do anything to the notification bar. I would become so filled up that when something important does come up, it may get unnoticed.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    You don't like the notification bar?? you mean the best notification system ever implemented on a smartphone?

Sell you Pre....now
    I believe you guys are thinking of how it expands and can do all these other things. That's fine with me but I don't like the black bar shrinking my already small screen just to hold a tiny icon.

Keeping the design I mentioned before, swiping away the expanded bar would put an icon on the home screen, almost like WM phones but better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    I vote to not do anything to the notification bar. I would become so filled up that when something important does come up, it may get unnoticed.
    well, just personally, i only get one or two notifications at a time now, so the thought behind paused apps/cards on the bar was that i'd probably only have one or two more (or however many you want). i dont mind that the small notification bar makes my cards a little smaller, but in that case, I want to be able to use it to its potential..