1.    #1  
    Palm's Pre: a star is born? | Technology | Internet | Reuters

About 623,000 Pres are expected to move in Palm's fiscal first quarter ending August, five analysts polled by Reuters said. Estimates ranged from 500,000 to 865,000 phones.

That would be a fraction of Apple's launch-quarter sales of 6.89 million for the iPhone that started selling around the world last July. But it's still an ambitious estimate for one phone at Palm, which had third-quarter phone sales of 482,000.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Hard to move phones that haven't yet been built.
  3.    #3  
    I've read that Palm needs to move 2.5-3 million phones a year to stay afloat. I suppose if they hit 800K per quarter, they could survive. Hopefully by the time other carriers get webOS devices, they will hit full stride.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBC View Post
    Hello???
    The Pre is built and is shipping, however none have "moved" or have been SOLD yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by maroot View Post
    Hello???
    The Pre is built and is shipping, however none have "moved" or have been SOLD yet.
    Well he is factoring the estimates of how many Pres will be supposedly available at launch, and that number is at about 150000 according to some reports. So the balance hasn't been built yet.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    I don't know what's accomplished with comparing the iPhone 3G launch numbers with the Pre....I don't think anyone expects the Pre to be as hot as the iPhone 3G was, which killed the iPhone Gen1's launch numbers.
    Bok
    I didn't really think it was too biased or off mark with the exception of the opening remarks of not being an iphone killer. I think only Apple could ever kill the iphone and I wish people would stop saying otherwise. It leads people to believe that because it's not an iphone killer, it's subpar. When in fact, it could be the greatest phone on earth and the iphone will still live on.
    Quote Originally Posted by 9 Inch Pre Niss View Post
    I didn't really think it was too biased or off mark with the exception of the opening remarks of not being an iphone killer. I think only Apple could ever kill the iphone and I wish people would stop saying otherwise. It leads people to believe that because it's not an iphone killer, it's subpar. When in fact, it could be the greatest phone on earth and the iphone will still live on.
    Agreed. iPhone lovers will continue to love their product as we will love our Pre. But iPhone lovers will not know what they're missing out on.

I think its fair to say the Pre has many features not available on the current iPhone (and even the soon to be releases newer iPhone). Better than the iPhone? Yes if you count features. But better is subjective. If the iPhone is exactly all you wanted and need then, NO.

If you compare feature for feature, the Pre has the edge.

Acceptance, popularity, sales, reliability and even as other carriers make the Pre available on their networks will we ever know how it really compares to the iPhone. I think as time passes, we will have a better idea which is the better phone.
    The Pre is the anti-iphone, not the iphone killer. Its a great option for all those people who do not want an iphone.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I have a classic 2 yr old iPhone and I am seriously considering the Pre. I am not tired of my iPhone, I just do not get great coverage in my house. Last night due to a local storm, no electric at 11:00 PM to 4:00 AM. When I tied to call the energy company to let them know of the outage, the iPhone says no service! What is up with that? This is not acceptable. Also, I do not like iPhoto and iTunes so an alternative may be enlightening. I know someone who handled a new Pre yesterday, and they said that it is a great looking and feeling product, unlike the BGR evaluation. I had a Treo 650 and thought the product well thought out when it debuted. My monthly phone bill including all taxes with 400 minutes and unlimited data is $65 for my iPhone and this will be a consideration whether I get the new 3rd gen iPhone, Pre or whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bok View Post
    I don't know what's accomplished with comparing the iPhone 3G launch numbers with the Pre....I don't think anyone expects the Pre to be as hot as the iPhone 3G was, which killed the iPhone Gen1's launch numbers.
    Its something app developers will be very interested in.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBC View Post
    I could certainly move to the lovely beer holder in your avatar! I set her (and friends) as my background when I go to beer tastings.

And she's obviously "been built" - and very nicely!

/OT
    <<<That would be a fraction of Apple's launch-quarter sales of 6.89 million for the iPhone that started selling around the world last July.>>>

Would make sense that it's a fraction of it since they are comparing a US launch of the phone to a WORLD launch of a phone.
  14.    #14  
    ^I saw in another article that the first gen iPhone sold around 280K the first few days. Don't know the first quarter numbers though.

As long as Palm sells a few million a year, they'll probably be in good shape. They don't have to outsell iPhone to survive but they do need to probably sell more than a few million just to get a the ecosystem of applications and peripherals kicked into high gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    The Pre is the anti-iphone, not the iphone killer. Its a great option for all those people who do not want an iphone.
    Not always, I want a Pre and I'm not anti-iphone, I just don't want another AT&T phone and I like Palm products.

I'm not anti-Ipod, anti-apple or even anti-AT&T, I just want to pay more reasonable fees for my unlimited data plan, and the Pre is a cool phone, that's why I'm switching to Sprint.
    Originally posted by My Precious:
    Not always, I want a Pre and I'm not anti-iphone, I just don't want another AT&T phone and I like Palm products.

I'm not anti-Ipod, anti-apple or even anti-AT&T, I just want to pay more reasonable fees for my unlimited data plan, and the Pre is a cool phone, that's why I'm switching to Sprint.
    I agree. I'm not anti Apple, iPhone or iPod. I simply want my next phone to replace the applications from my 700p. Based on iPhone users that I've spoke to, the iPhone doesn't replace my current apps and do things as well as my 700p. Don't get me wrong it does some things, like surfing the web, better but I'm not buying a phone for web surfing alone. I want a miniature device that basically replaces my lap top. The iPhone is a nice toy that has the potential now that they've opened up apps to developers, but initially, it didn't even have the potential.

My next issue is phone. How does the phone work and is there ease of navigation? I believe the Pre will meet the need where the initial iPhone didn't. I've heard about a lot of games I can play on my iPhone, but not Laridian's "My Bible", DTG, Diet and Exercise Assistant. Those are just a few of the apps that make my life simple. I understand that Splash Data is now available in the iPhone and more applications will follow.

By the time that happens, I will have already moved to the Pre.