1.    #1  
    Did some digging around and the first device to be sold using the TI OMAP 3430 (same CPU as the Pre) is the Samsung Omnia HD.

I was trying to see how powerful the underlying hardware of the Pre is.

Both the Omnia HD and Pre have the same amount of memory and CPU but the Omnia has a big 3.7" Amoled touchscreen and runs Symbian.

After watching and reading about the smoothness of the Samsung and its brilliant screen.

I could with some confidence say that if there are any issues with speed / lag times of the Pre then future firmware updates will rememdy alot of this as the hardware in the Pre is very powerful.

It's based on ARM new architecture so comparing the 600mhz speed to that of other phones is not a like for like comparison.

The new web/os will perhaps have a few bugs in it - just like the first Android release and Apple Iphone o/s. I think the Pre hardware is bang on the money.
    Last edited by no1smartphone; 06/02/2009 at 09:07 PM.
    I'd like a 600GHz processor, please!

But in all seriousness, this phone is definitely powerful. That's why it does so well with the animations and such.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcoaster View Post
    I'd like a 600GHz processor, please!
    heh, I didnt even notice that when I first read it, I'm thinking the OP meant 600MHz
  4.    #4  
    It would be difficult to do a comparison of the power of the Omap CPu v the Iphone 3g cpu but according to this website its more powerful.

Palm Pre's processor beats Apple iPhone's - Computerworld Blogs
  5.    #5  
    Reading some blogs about the new Iphone CPU its not marketed at just a processor but a next gen processor - it will be based on the samer architecture as the Omap ie Cortex A8 but the way its being marketed just goes to show that Apple could market a plain old screw as the world next generation multi use fastener.
    Speed doesn't make a bit of difference if the code its running is bloated or inefficient.
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Speed doesn't make a bit of difference if the code its running is bloated or inefficient.
    Exactly. Just look at some Omnia HD movies. All the ones I see it is slow as h*ll. What a waste too because it has some killer hardware. Can you imagine WebOS on that 3.7" AMOLED?!
  8.    #8  
    Which movies are these? I have seen that helicopter HD movie vs the Iphone and it wipes the Iphone/Ipod touch screen off the floor.

Samsung Omnia Hd vs. iPod Touch 2G Video

The actual specs of the CPU is

OMAP3430 - 600 MHz ARM Cortex A8 + PowerVR SGX 530 GPU + 430MHz C64x+ DSP + ISP (Image Signal Processor)

OMAP3430 multimedia applications processor delivers up to 3x gain in performance over ARM11-based processors (Iphone 3g processor),
    OMAP™ 3 Processors - OMAP3430
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post
    It would be difficult to do a comparison of the power of the Omap CPu v the Iphone 3g cpu but according to this website its more powerful.

Palm Pre's processor beats Apple iPhone's - Computerworld Blogs
    New hardware release vs. 1 year ago hardware release. Gee, you think it's faster?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    New hardware release vs. 1 year ago hardware release. Gee, you think it's faster?
    Well Apple released the Iphone 3g with the same processor as the original Iphone a year later.
    I keep posting this article in various places, so forgive me if you've seen it, but it's relevant to the conversation. Lots of good info about the Pre's processor. Begin drool now.

Palm Pre Processor check it out! @ Mobility Today
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post
    Which movies are these? I have seen that helicopter HD movie vs the Iphone and it wipes the Iphone/Ipod touch screen off the floor.

Samsung Omnia Hd vs. iPod Touch 2G Video

The actual specs of the CPU is

OMAP3430 - 600 MHz ARM Cortex A8 + PowerVR SGX 530 GPU + 430MHz C64x+ DSP + ISP (Image Signal Processor)

OMAP3430 multimedia applications processor delivers up to 3x gain in performance over ARM11-based processors (Iphone 3g processor),
    OMAPô 3 Processors - OMAP3430
    I'm talking OS... Symbian on the Omnia HD. I saw a browser demo and it was like watching paint dry on top of pure glitchyness.
    There are a lot of high-powered mobile cpu/chipsets coming out now. If you're bored, check out some of the nVidia Tegra demos out there. It's getting to be a very cool time for mobile tech.