Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Just some background on where I am coming from. I have been with Sprint for just under 10 years. I have been through my share of phones like most of you because I am a gadget guy. My most recent phones have been Treo 650 -> HTC Mogul -> Curve -> Diamond -> Curve. So my current phone is the Curve.

I have been excited about the Pre since it was announced. I am the type of person that wants the latest and greatest. I have no plans to wait in line for the Pre. Do I want one on release day or the day before because of my Premier status yes but if it does not happen then so be it. Am I mad at the way Sprint is handling the release yes. Am I mad enough that I am going to switch carries due to it, No. Is anyone really going to leave Sprint because they were a premier member and did not get a Pre on release, I cant imagine they would.

Now I see the HTC Touch Pro 2 should be out shortly. Everytime I use a WM device I decide I dont like it. But damn is the TP 2 a nice looking device and that screen wow.

So now I am thinking wait a little to buy the Pre, I think that currently the guess for the TP2 release is July. I know Sprint has not advertised for the TP2 but I cant help but wonder if this is because they worry that it will take away from Pre sales. The people that are looking to be first for the Pre are also the same people that will be tempted by the TP2. last I heard was the Tp2 was due out July 7 one day out of the return window for the Pre for the people that got it on the release day. Is this a coincidence? Is sprint worried about Pre's being returned or exchanged for the TP2 if they are released to close to each other?

I do hope I get a Pre on release day. At least then I wont be tempted by the TP2 when it comes out. Or at least I will have already hoepfully fallen for the Pre and wont think about the large 480x800 screen on the TP2, damn it I am already thinking about it.
    true i was going to wait for the tp2 but i already have the diamond and its pretty much the same thing just a angled screen and pre looks amazing so im defiantly going with pre baby
  3. joelpalm
    Get the TP2, use your 30 days and return it and get the Pre and live happily ever after to be done with WM. I know I am!
    I see it less of a decision of what phone to get and more of a decision of what operating system do you want on your next phone.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    @OP, I have a phone history somewhat similar to yours. Mogul > Touch > Touch Pro > Curve > Diamond > Curve.

Too many times I gave WinMo a chance. The HTC devices themselves, hardware wise, were great. But the OS, no matter how much HTC tried to mask it with their TouchFlo interface, I couldn't live with it. You mentioned it yourself, "Everytime I use a WM device I decide I dont like it."

Not saying that the TP2 won't be a killer device, but remember its still running the same old WinMo. Now if was running WinMo 7? That would be a completely different story.
    I have been thinking the same way - I currently have the TP. I really like the size of the TP2 screen but I am tiring of WM 6.1. I am thinking of getting the Pre, then waiting to see what comes out later - TP2, iPhone and then the Android devices. But as NachoB says above, it is really about the OS and I think the Pre is just the beginning.

BTW - I don't believe the TP2 will be out in early July - just don't think Sprint can get-r-done.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    My first WinMo phone was the 800w; I went back to the 755p within 2 weeks.

My second WinMo phone was the HTC Touch. It also went back to Sprint and I got the 755p yet again.

There's no way I'm touching WinMo again. Whoever thought that a desktop's UI would work on a 4" (or less) screen should be taken out back and shot.
    I'm kind of in the same boat. I'll be getting a Pre for evaluation purposes, but I've really got my heart set on the TP2. Has anyone heard if it will upgradable to win7?
    Seriously, do you guys want a phone or a giant brick? Why not just get a netbook and stick it in your pocket. TP2 is just fat and huge. Looks about the size of a PSP.
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sweet greggo View Post
    I'm kind of in the same boat. I'll be getting a Pre for evaluation purposes, but I've really got my heart set on the TP2. Has anyone heard if it will upgradable to win7?
    I was just going to ask that, myself. I don't know much about the possibilities, but if the TP2 could be upgraded to WM7 in the future, which could be a huge improvement over 6.1/6.5, then that could make the TP2 a killer device.
    Quote Originally Posted by FesterTreo View Post
    Seriously, do you guys want a phone or a giant brick? Why not just get a netbook and stick it in your pocket. TP2 is just fat and huge. Looks about the size of a PSP.
    Actually, it is not a brick - it is about the size of an iPhone, but not as wide. Not too much bigger than the existing TP.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    The other big issue with the TP2 is the lack of a 3.5mm headphone jack. Come on is it that hard to put one in the phone HTC? That damn dongle was the worst work excuse for a headphone jack.

I will most likely get the Pre unless I cant get my hands on one right away. Once a few user reviews come out and show the weak spots I might have to wait to look at the TP2.
    My decision to get the TP2 is based on the fact that I can't get the Pre and keep my existing plan. I've had the same plan since '02 (it suits me just fine) and have always just done ESN swaps anytime I get a new handset (Treo650/700p/Mogul/Touch/700Wx/Touch Pro/back to 700Wx).
    This thing with the Instinct and Pre requiring specific plans is throwing a wrench in my Pre plans. So no Pre for me.

And beside the TP2 fixes a lot of my gripes with TP1. Now we have a much bigger screen, better keyboard, more responsive TF3D, better speaker (dual), dual mics...it goes on. Been following it on xda forums.

It's the TP2 for me.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    While I haven't read a review of the Touch Pro 2, the overall speed and responsiveness of Windows is not there. I've been using Windows Mobile devices for over 5 years. My first device was an AT&T Audiovox SMT5600, which used Windows Mobile 2003.

A lot of the same fundamental problems still exist: lag while using the hardware keyboard, slow rendering on Opera, etc. And yes I find the lack of a headphone jack infuriating as well. Don't get me wrong, HTC did a fantastic job with Touch Flo. But at this point, it's just lipstick on a pig.
  15. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Hello,
    you wrote for me.
    I am in the same boat as you. Currently I have 800W.
    And was thinking of waiting for TP2.

Would love to get TP2, because it offers (supposedly) global GSM band on CDMA, which is important to me.

But the rest of the stuff on the TP2 is same old.
    Sure you have a nicer screen and a speaker phone , but the browser still is going to be PIE or Opera/ Skyfire .....
    the sluggishness is still there and it DOES CRASH once in a while ( Trust me I have tested TOUCH HD , which is similar hardware with .2 inch more screen)

None of the WinMo devices offer you the multitouch thing that Pre can give you.

Besides WebOS , for what its worth seem to be efficient than WinMo.

I love WinMo, but all the WinMo devices seriously need a fresh OS.

I would go with Pre , then wait till Microsoft releases Mobile 7 at teh end of the year.
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sheltem View Post
    While I haven't read a review of the Touch Pro 2, the overall speed and responsiveness of Windows is not there. I've been using Windows Mobile devices for over 5 years. My first device was an AT&T Audiovox SMT5600, which used Windows Mobile 2003.

A lot of the same fundamental problems still exist: lag while using the hardware keyboard, slow rendering on Opera, etc. And yes I find the lack of a headphone jack infuriating as well. Don't get me wrong, HTC did a fantastic job with Touch Flo. But at this point, it's just lipstick on a pig.
    YES ,
    its same old with bigger screen, it works for many .
    But its slow , same old same old.

I will send my money to PALM.
    I agree I"m going with the Pre as well but I do have to say I wish the pre came with a bigger screen.
    To the people possibly interested in the Touch Pro or Touch Pro2....you realize this thing occasionally lags while typing in text...on the hardware keyboard, right?