1.    #1  
    So I'm on Verizon, but since I only have 2 months left and the early termination fee is prorated, it will only cost me 65 dollars to get out of the contract to get the Pre (I think). And I'm not really sure what to do. Should I just cancel the Verizon plan Friday and if I get a Pre Saturday, be able to instantly port over my number. Or should I try and get a Pre first, and if I succeed then cancel my Verizon and port over my number. I'm finally getting my own plan so I'm not sure how easy the port over process is, or how long it even takes. Anyone have any advice for me? I'd really appreciate it.
    i believe you're supposed to port your number before cancelling
    I would say cancel early and port the number right then and there. it seems much easier that way.
    yeah i'd try the Pre and Sprint for a few days first and then cancel vzw via a port later if you like it.
    i would cancel after you port your number just to be safe. i would think if you cancel the number would no longer be yours. that's pretty cool that they'll prorate it for you. i would def payy the $65 to terminate my agreement and get the pre if i had to!
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    When you port a number over to another carrier it automatically cancels out your account with your previous carrier. They will then send you a final bill.
    Hope this helps!
    im pretty sure u have to port the number over first if u dont i believe u run the risk of losing ur number. if ur line is under someone elses name have them set up the sprint account with u and then do a transfer of liability and it will be under ur name alone once completed.
    I was told to always port the number while the account is still active. If you cancel they are likely to freeze your number for an unspecified amount of time (in case they win you back) and make getting that number with a new carrier impossible. Let Sprint handle everything like notifying Verizon. They're set up to do it that way.
    I talked with Sprint about this yesterday. They said to keep the Verizon account active or they would not be able to port the number over. You will need your VZW account number as well as the telephone number to complete the process. Sprint said that they will cancel the Verizon account.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Cancel after you port. Better yet wait for 2 months to get your Pre. You will have the benefit of getting a lot of feedback from early users and you can use the extra money to buy the touch stone or some other accessories. But of course I respect whatever decision you will make.
    Quote Originally Posted by Visualfx View Post
    im pretty sure u have to port the number over first if u dont i believe u run the risk of losing ur number. if ur line is under someone elses name have them set up the sprint account with u and then do a transfer of liability and it will be under ur name alone once completed.
    Just out of curiosity, seriously: did you really save enough time typing "u" instead of "you" and "ur" instead of "your" to justify your audience's difficulty in reading your post? And didn't you actually have to work at it to actually write this way? I mean, for myself, "you" and "your" are in my muscle memory, so I'd have to actually practice to write the shorthand versions. And then there's the "im" instead of "I'm," but that could have been a typo...

This isn't a flame, really. I'm genuinely interested. I count seven usages of the two shorthand versions, each saving two characters. So, you saved yourself 14 keystrokes. And yet, I found myself tripping over your post and, without my general interest in the way you wrote it, I would have simply passed over it.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    Cancel after you port. Better yet wait for 2 months to get your Pre. You will have the benefit of getting a lot of feedback from early users and you can use the extra money to buy the touch stone or some other accessories. But of course I respect whatever decision you will make.
    Yeah I'm sure I could probably wait the 2 months, but I was just unemployed for almost 8 months and just got a great job, so I'm sort of rewarding myself. It also doesn't hurt that I get 23% off my Sprint bill through work.

Also, since my number is actually on my parents family plan, and my name appears no where on the bill, will porting it over be a problem with just myself at the store? Or would someone on the Verizon bill have to come with me to get it? I sure hope not.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I was in a sprint store yesterday and the rep told me to just bring in my att account number and they will do the porting. I wouldnt need to contact att to do the porting, and afterwords my att account would be canceled and i would get my final bill.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I wonder if Sprint will be able to port my current number from my family plan without canceling the plan itself, since my number is not the main number... hmmmm.
    It wasn't me officer, I swear.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, seriously: did you really save enough time typing "u" instead of "you" and "ur" instead of "your" to justify your audience's difficulty in reading your post? And didn't you actually have to work at it to actually write this way? I mean, for myself, "you" and "your" are in my muscle memory, so I'd have to actually practice to write the shorthand versions. And then there's the "im" instead of "I'm," but that could have been a typo...

This isn't a flame, really. I'm genuinely interested. I count seven usages of the two shorthand versions, each saving two characters. So, you saved yourself 14 keystrokes. And yet, I found myself tripping over your post and, without my general interest in the way you wrote it, I would have simply passed over it.
    Just out of curiosity, seriously: do YOU have anything productive to offer this thread? This isn't a flame, really. I'm genuinely interested. Or do YOU just like to flame people and contribute nothing useful to this thread at all. Counting keystrokes saved come on get a life. Next time do me a favor pass over it I wouldn't want YOU to trip and fall on YOUR face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Visualfx View Post
    Just out of curiosity, seriously: do YOU have anything productive to offer this thread? This isn't a flame, really. I'm genuinely interested. Or do YOU just like to flame people and contribute nothing useful to this thread at all. Counting keystrokes saved come on get a life. Next time do me a favor pass over it I wouldn't want YOU to trip and fall on YOUR face.
    Well, really, I just have an interest in the sad state of American English given the nefarious influence of the Internet. But if you want to take it as a flame, I suppose you're entitled to do so.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elcapitan View Post
    Also, since my number is actually on my parents family plan, and my name appears no where on the bill, will porting it over be a problem with just myself at the store? Or would someone on the Verizon bill have to come with me to get it? I sure hope not.
    You should have the account number, last 4 of the SSN of the person's account, login ID and password just in case. I just got done porting out from VZ, to a VOIP service and ended up requiring all that info. Cell to Cell is probably much easier and simpler, but since it's not your account, you may need extra info.
    Well, really, I just have an interest in the sad state of American English given the nefarious influence of the Internet. But if you want to take it as a flame, I suppose you're entitled to do so.
    Well then YOU should probably go post in an English grammar forum instead of posting YOUR nonsense in this thread and wasting everybody's time and contributing NOTHING to this thread!!!
    Vis
    Language isn't static. It has, and always will evolve to fit the function the times require.

Do we still use the same vocabulary and syntax people did 200 years ago, I don't think so.

Let's talk about Shakespeare. He didn't stick to the English of the time. He invented, I mean just invented out of thin air many many words.

Think about the first person who used a contraction. I'm sure others though they were being lazy too. I'm sure though you've used a contraction before.

Language, like everything else, evolves.
    when i went from att to sprint, i just had sprint port over and it automatically cancelled my att account, i assume thats how they all are