Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was able to get into a Sprint Store today and the rep there let me play with his pre for over 30 minutes! First impressions: WOW!!!! Just like others, I will give you my walkthru of the device and my thoughts. As background, I have been a Treo owner from about 6 years, first with the 600 and for the last 2 years with the 755p, and I have been waiting for the Pre. I have read the manual, browsed the forums, etc, and feel like I know how to use the Pre better than my own 755p!

But before I get into the review, the bad news: If you are not eligible for the $150 / 2-year phone upgrade, you are going to shell out a lot of cash for this phone. I got my 755p in 2007 when my 600 finally died and got an sprint warranty replacement. Even though it was a warranty replacement, this reset my clock. So, I was talking pricing with the guy there (who seemed very knowledgeable) and if I wanted to buy the Pre before my 2-year eligibility (which is only 7/1, but feels like an eternity), I would pay MSRP ($550) - $75 = $475.. that's it! No instant rebate. No mail in rebate. Nothing. Just the $75. If I wait until 7/1, I get it for $199 with a 2-year contract. So, looks like I will be waiting.

Now, on to the phone:
    OVERALL LOOK AND FEEL -- Smooth. Light. Clean. Awesome! I was expecting this to be so much heavier that actually turned out to be. People say it has a cheap or plastic feel to it, but I think they are mistaking light-weight and smooth with cheap. Also, the rep showed me the glossy cover that comes with the device and the matte cover that comes with the touchstone, and the matte cover is so much nicer! It's almost worth it to buy the touchstone for that back cover (well, maybe not). The screen did have a lot of fingerprints on it, but it's nothing a Invisible Shield or similar protector can't fix.

SCREEN -- AMAZING! I thought he was showing me a demo version with a plastic picture on top of the screen, but it turned out to be the screen itself. Crystal clear!

KEYBOARD -- This was the part that worried me, coming from the 755p with the big keys, but I was able to type almost flawlessly after just a few tries. After a few minutes, I was totally able to adjust. My biggest issue was that they moved the "." key, so every time went to put in a period, i put in the comma. Nothing I can't adjust to. Oh, and the keyboard slider was smooth and not a problem

GESTURES -- Despite that fact that I knew "what" to do, this took a little while to get used to. However, once you know what you are doing, things came pretty natural

BROWSING -- This was a great experience. The zoom in/out was very clear and the browsing was mostly smooth. There was some cases where it took a second or so to refresh, but compared to browsing on my 755p, much faster, much clearer, and much better!

MULTITASKING -- Easy to use! Well done, palm!

UNIVERSAL SEARCH -- One of the big complaints I have been hearing about the synergy is how all AIM contacts or Facebook Friends show up in your contacts. This may be true, but Universal Search fixes that. Even on the 755p, I do not think i have ever browsed through my contacts name by name...I just type the first letter and last night. Their search will fix that. And, but adding applications and web browsing to this, it's even better. One thing that I liked was that in universal search, if you type in a website, it adds that to a option under Google, GoogleMap, Twitter, etc.

CLASSIC -- I was able to play around with the Classic App, and it was very user friendly. There may be some tough apps to use since you can't use a stylus, but overall, a nice application. And, since the standard calculator for the Pre is just a basic calculator (I could not find out how to get to an advanced calc), you can always use the Classic Calculator from the PalmOS which as all the advanced features

Video -- I tried out the YouTube app and the SprintTV app. Both were pretty clear and very usable. Much better than the I get with my 755p when streaming video

Some Issues with the device -- Most of these have been mentioned before, but here are some issues/problems/concerns I found with the Pre:
    1. Copy and Paste is only available on Editable Fields. Could not highlight and copy on the browser, etc
    2. Slight delay between apps, and I mean slight. This will just take time to get used to
    3. No Camcorder, although the rep seemed to think that a follow-on app would be created to fix this

Didn't Test out --
    • Battery life
    • Wifi (although the rep said it worked well)
    • Camera
    • Mp3 player
    • Streaming audio

So, overall, I am hooked on this phone. I walked away from the store so excited to get the phone, and so depresses that I have to either pay 2x the price or wait an extra month. Despite the fact that I am itching to get my hands on the device, I think I will wait until 7/1 when I get my full upgrade eligibility!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Good review sir.
    Good info but nothing new about the upgrade situation.. That's just common sense that you'll pay unsubsidized pricing for a phone if you're not eligible for a new 2yr or renewal.
    Thanks for that! I'll be paying $549 for it, so it's good to see positive hands-on results.

One quick question: you say "Slight delay between apps." Do you mean, when opening a new application, or when switching from one app to another?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    But before I get into the review, the bad news: If you are not eligible for the $150 / 2-year phone upgrade, you are going to shell out a lot of cash for this phone. I got my 755p in 2007 when my 600 finally died and got an sprint warranty replacement. Even though it was a warranty replacement, this reset my clock. So, I was talking pricing with the guy there (who seemed very knowledgeable) and if I wanted to buy the Pre before my 2-year eligibility (which is only 7/1, but feels like an eternity), I would pay MSRP ($550) - $75 = $475.. that's it! No instant rebate. No mail in rebate. Nothing. Just the $75. If I wait until 7/1, I get it for $199 with a 2-year contract. So, looks like I will be waiting.
    Hope your wrong on this there is certainly alot of confusion regarding pricing. Sprint should have the Pre on their website Saturday morning I am going to go into my account and see how much it will cost me to purchase. Thank you for the review.
    600P, 700P, Current 800W
    Daughter Centro
    http://insidesprintnow.wordpress.com...elief-minutes/ The ultimate smartphone!!!!!!
    nice review. this is GOOD news about pricing. less people i have to fight at launch.
    You've never been able to get the extra discounts when you're not up for a contract renewal, if I recall.

The funny part is that it is marginally cheaper to get a new account and phone and then cancel the old one with the ETF than it is to just buy with -$75 discount.
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    So, overall, I am hooked on this phone. I walked away from the store so excited to get the phone, and so depresses that I have to either pay 2x the price or wait an extra month. Despite the fact that I am itching to get my hands on the device, I think I will wait until 7/1 when I get my full upgrade eligibility!
    Could you buy now, then buy one next month at the discounted price and turn around and sell it to cover the price of the original Pre? If full retail purchases dont qualify for the $100 rebate then its a no go for sure... you will have to wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by hypocaffeinemia View Post
    You've never been able to get the extra discounts when you're not up for a contract renewal, if I recall.

The funny part is that it is marginally cheaper to get a new account and phone and then cancel the old one with the ETF than it is to just buy with -$75 discount.
    To some people, it isn't worth the loss of the phone number... but it's quite odd none the less.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    I feel your pain. I'm not eligible until 7/1 also. Does anyone think there is any chance they will bump back the upgrade date and give us the discounts early??
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Thanks for that! I'll be paying $549 for it, so it's good to see positive hands-on results.

One quick question: you say "Slight delay between apps." Do you mean, when opening a new application, or when switching from one app to another?
    I'm sure he means when opening apps, this can be seen in any video, it takes 2 or 3 seconds to open. Switching is fast.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    My contract does not end until Nov. Hope that makes you feel better.

After I lost my 600 (no insurance ), I paid for 650 like that, only $75 off. I will try to hold off until Nov, but it is also possible that I could go crazy and get one when I see it in store.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    I am confused. It says when I log in to sprint.com that I am eligible for 150.00 off. But when I click contract fulfillment it says 2/13/2010. I thought you are not eligible for 150.00 until you are out of contract?
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Just when opening new apps. Once opened, switching is very quick!
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Loonytunes View Post
    I am confused. It says when I log in to sprint.com that I am eligible for 150.00 off. But when I click contract fulfillment it says 2/13/2010. I thought you are not eligible for 150.00 until you are out of contract?
    2 separate things. 150 is based on when you last added a device to your account, regardless of contract status
    Quote Originally Posted by Loonytunes View Post
    You could be a Premier Customer, able to get a phone at new user price every year.
    2 separate things. 150 is based on when you last added a device to your account, regardless of contract status
    edit: too slow. slbailey1 beat me to it.
    i must admit that the new phone every 12 months at a special price is a sweet Premier perk. i signed up for Sprint because of the $99/month Unlimited Everything plan - but this was gravy - a nice surprise.

i'll probably upgrade to the Pre X in June 2010 for $199.
    You think Sprint could do any worse than if anyone has 6 months or less until their 2 year contract expires for them to expedite that and offer the Pre for $199 if you sign up to another 2 year contract?

In the UK usually we have 12 or 18 month contracts and if you sign up with a month or 2 to go they will offer you the full discount.
    I garuntee when telesales finally sells the Pre to customers you will be able to haggle the price by at least $50, maybe even $100 (as per my recent convo with sprint today after saying its not worth saying with Sprint if i had to pay close to 5 bills for a new phone ... he turned around and said i could def get you that 100 extra off if the phone was out already ...

WHat i am thinking is, is that the price will be somewhat cheaper after the dust settles and if you dont have to get the phone right away especially for those middle contactors like myself you could save yourself some money ...

Whats not fair is that your probably paying more a month to get the pre, and your signing another 2yr agreement and sprint cant just give you the 100 mir ..

oh and becareful of reps saying they will give you the 100mir because if your not elegible for that when you send it the paperwork it will do nothing for you and sprint wont acknoledge it ...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast