Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    The link doesn't work for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ray1b View Post
    The link doesn't work for me.
    That's probably because Gizmodo is down, along with the rest of the Gawker blogs.
    Palm III -> Visor Prism -> Dell Axim X30 Hi -> HTC Apache -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch Pro

Ev-Do Rev. A Tethered on my TP:
    For those who can't access Gizmodo:

"An anonymous tipster just confirmed to us that the Pre iTunes sync continues to work with iTunes 8.2 (as it did with iTunes 8.2 beta for the iPhone 3.0 beta).

The reader says that there's no worry (yet) that Apple's locking out the phone, and that iTunes continues to recognize the Pre as an iPod. [Thanks tipster!]"

For my money:

1) No big surprise, I would have doubted Apple's capability of building in this feature so quickly, as it might not have allowed for testing.
    2) Do I trust an 'anonymous tipster' though? No indication of prior reliability or proof.
    UK boy born and bred, usually proud of this, but rueing the fact that I won't be able to get my greasy mitts on one of these for months longer...
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Good for those who care. To me iTunes is a bloated piece of crapware. But Palm does have some balls for putting this feature in to the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    To me iTunes is a bloated piece of crapware.
    Kinda like Windows???
    Quote Originally Posted by kilofoxtrot View Post
    Kinda like Windows???
    Anything before Windows 7...yes.
    Do you thank that the Pre can sync with the Zune software?
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    Do you thank that the Pre can sync with the Zune software?
    I'd be 100% shocked if it did. Although I don't really see the point unless it starts supporting DRM'ed WMA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caitlyn McKenzie View Post
    I'd be 100% shocked if it did. Although I don't really see the point unless it starts supporting DRM'ed WMA.
    To the Pre support non-DRM WMA music files?
    PalmOS does so you'd think. Otherwise, shouldn't take long for 3rd party media players. I'm hoping for a VLC port.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Even if Apple releases a new iTunes version that disables this feature, it doesn't mean it will disable previous versions.

I personally haven't update iTunes in quite a while (yet still use it frequently to synch our iPods), so couldn't you still use an older iTunes version if this feature was really important to you?
    good to know
  13. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Saw this post over @ the iPhoneblog & I completely agree, Apple doesn't want a war with Palm!....

# oneAwake Says:
    June 3rd, 2009 at 1:09 am

I was over on crunchgear reading an article that was discussing the Pre’s ability to sync with iTunes. Poster Pandaman made this comment:

“Wrong. The Pre will definitely have I-Tunes syncing. Apple infringes on SO MANY of Palm’s patents that Apple cannot risk having Palm sue them for infringement. Take Palm patent #7,268,775, entitled “Dynamic brightness range for portable computer displays based on ambient conditions,” for example — it covers automatically adjusting display brightness using an ambient light sensor while leaving a user-selected brightness setting alone. Yep, that’s exactly how the iPhone does it: Or how about #7,007,239, “Method and apparatus for accessing a contacts database and telephone services”? Claim 10 is an almost exact description of the iPhone’s phone app — buttons for dialing, call history, contacts, and speed dial that stay on-screen as you toggle between them.

Apple has no choice but to let Palm do what they want or they might be forced to remove many features from their precious I-phone.”

I did not even consider this could be a possibility, Apple may be sitting on their hands because they’re afraid to spit in the wind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ya Boi D View Post
    Saw this post over @ the iPhoneblog & I completely agree, Apple doesn't want a war with Palm!....

# oneAwake Says:
    June 3rd, 2009 at 1:09 am

I was over on crunchgear reading an article that was discussing the Pre’s ability to sync with iTunes. Poster Pandaman made this comment:

“Wrong. The Pre will definitely have I-Tunes syncing. Apple infringes on SO MANY of Palm’s patents that Apple cannot risk having Palm sue them for infringement. Take Palm patent #7,268,775, entitled “Dynamic brightness range for portable computer displays based on ambient conditions,” for example — it covers automatically adjusting display brightness using an ambient light sensor while leaving a user-selected brightness setting alone. Yep, that’s exactly how the iPhone does it: Or how about #7,007,239, “Method and apparatus for accessing a contacts database and telephone services”? Claim 10 is an almost exact description of the iPhone’s phone app — buttons for dialing, call history, contacts, and speed dial that stay on-screen as you toggle between them.

Apple has no choice but to let Palm do what they want or they might be forced to remove many features from their precious I-phone.”

I did not even consider this could be a possibility, Apple may be sitting on their hands because they’re afraid to spit in the wind.
    This was all pretty hot news back in January/February. I found the Engadget analysis to be rather compelling:

Apple vs. Palm: the in-depth analysis

This is the article that the poster probably got most of his information from - without appropriate credit of course.

In addition, Pablo Perez-Fernandez of boutique investment firm Global Crown Capital wrote an interesting piece asserting that many of Apple's "iPhone patents" are flawed and might be invalidated if put under close scrutiny in a legal battle. It was/is rather interesting stuff.

So, Apple may have built a patent fortress, but the walls may be made of sand ....
    Last edited by CannonFodder; 06/03/2009 at 03:26 AM.
    And here's a link to an article which touches upon some of the points brought up by Perez-Fernandez:

Analyst: Apple’s IP battle over iPhone’s multi-touch capabilities is ill-advised - RCR Wireless News

Unfortunately, I don't think the original investor's note is in the public domain.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kilofoxtrot View Post
    Kinda like Windows???
    Not really. Just kinda like iTunes... and even Quicktime (the codec is good, but the gui is ****. I prefer Quicktime alternative with Media Player Classic).
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    To me iTunes is a bloated piece of crapware.
    For Windows it is but for Mac OS X it's not. It's been a known fact already and it didn't change with 8.2.

Taken from iLounge.com (http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/art...-of-itunes-82/):

Performance

From our testing, iTunes 8.2 does not seem to differ significantly in performance for better or worse from iTunes 8.1.

Generally, the Windows version of iTunes in our lab environment performs a bit more slowly than our Mac version when dealing with the same library database on the same computer platform. However, we should note that these performance issues in our testing environment are not nearly as significant as the reports we have had from some readers, suggesting that iTunes continues to have odd performance issues on certain platforms that are likely the result of the wide variety of Windows hardware and software configurations that exist.

On the topic:
    I'm happy to hear it still syncs.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001