1.    #1  
    Will you still have access to your calender and contacts if you are not within wireless coverage?
    I had a friend ask me this the other night. I'm not sure, but would love to get an answer on this! :-)
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    Yes. Local cache.
    you'll still have access to them without a wireless connection. It's not like the 1st gen iPhone that used web apps in MobileSafari that acted like apps (never really acted like apps, they were web pages).
    Jimmie Geddes
    Yes, the calendar, contacts, tasks, and memos will all be available without an internet connection. They store those in a local database. It only needs the internet to update those local db's and have them in-sync with "the cloud."
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    Quote Originally Posted by dpchmode View Post
    Will you still have access to your calender and contacts if you are not within wireless coverage?
    It's a stipulation of WebOS development that each app must always have a local cache and display whatever information is latest. That means the web most of the time, but when you're offline, it'll be whatever is freshest in the cache.
    Palm III -> Visor Prism -> Dell Axim X30 Hi -> HTC Apache -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch Pro

Ev-Do Rev. A Tethered on my TP:
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdtalker View Post
    It's a stipulation of WebOS development that each app must always have a local cache and display whatever information is latest. That means the web most of the time, but when you're offline, it'll be whatever is freshest in the cache.
    So, what you are saying is that I won't have access to every calender event like I currently do on my Treo. I wonder how far back is will be considered "freshest".
    Quote Originally Posted by dpchmode View Post
    So, what you are saying is that I won't have access to every calender event like I currently do on my Treo. I wonder how far back is will be considered "freshest".
    I am assuming, every time you open up an app, it tries and grabs the latest if it can. If it cannot, it will just display whatever you had before. However, any event you type into the phone yourself will always be available instantly.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    You'll have a calendar that works just the same as it does on your Treo or iPhone, the only difference is it will sync up with the cloud all the time, and if you input stuff on the internet, like on Google calendar, it will sync.
    UK boy born and bred, usually proud of this, but rueing the fact that I won't be able to get my greasy mitts on one of these for months longer...
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by northy014 View Post
    You'll have a calendar that works just the same as it does on your Treo or iPhone, the only difference is it will sync up with the cloud all the time, and if you input stuff on the internet, like on Google calendar, it will sync.
    I am beginning to understand. I use PalmOS to sync; now I will use the "cloud" to sync... I hope someone can figure out how to put the last seven years of my PalmOS calender events onto the Pre, (without having to use the "classic" version).