Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Lets face it, which group is mostly into gadgets? The high school through age 25 group. When I'm on the subway, on the bus, walking down the block, it seems that every person in that group is walking around with some type of touch screen phone texting someone or on myspace. Yes, its nice to get the business crowd and so forth, but if you look at what most teens seem to be walkin around with its the google or the I-phone. I spoke to a few teens here in NYC about the Pre. Of couse, they did not know what one was, but after I explained, they were interested. They want something that is quick on the internet and can quickly adress their social network concers. Pre can be that phone if they advertise correctly...ie use rap stars, movie stars.....USE I Carey even. Put Beyonce with one. Take the hype away from T-mobile and you immediatly sell 2 million units. I could be wrong.....This is only what I notice in NYC what they are walking around with.
    True, but Apple has done quite well without cheapening their brand image with too many pop-culture references and one-hit-wonders. You'll never catch an iPhone ad with Lil Jon or Nickleback and for good reason. Things like that will date an ad campaign once the fad has passed or they will turn off other demographics.

If you want to give Apple credit for something, do it for marketing. They know how to make a device shiny, desirable, classy, and trendy by appealing to much more simple and minimal themes and imagery.

Think of all the youth marketing in the early 2000's where everything was "ExXXXtreme!!" and "In your face!" and rap-metal was the best soundtrack for anything and you couldn't sell anything to a young crowd unless it was ultra-caffeinated, endorsed by Jackass, and blasting Limp Bizkit.

Keep it simple and you'll hit that fat middle. Pander too much and you fall by the wayside.

Just my opinion.
    No one needs teenagers. Not even other teenagers.
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    No one needs teenagers. Even other teenagers.
    Amen. I'm sorry, it's true. Everyone is a teen once, but... C'mon, the real power users are people who use their phones for everything. Work as well as play.
    Palm III -> Visor Prism -> Dell Axim X30 Hi -> HTC Apache -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch Pro

Ev-Do Rev. A Tethered on my TP:
    I agree with the OP. Never underestimate the teen culture, especially if its marketed as a great twitter phone. Teens will flock to this in a second.
  6. DDD
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    Keep it simple and you'll hit that fat middle. Pander too much and you fall by the wayside.
    Excellent point!
    Also Known as 3_D
    I'm 20 and have friends who are a couple years younger looking to get the pre (without influence from me, too!). They could definitely use some help from teens if they want to expand market share, but I'm still looking at the EOS to cover that particular group. The upgraded Centro, imo, looks quite sexy and could potentially catch the eyes of more of this market (especially with a significant app collection when released).

But then what do i know?
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardHowl View Post
    I agree with the OP. Never underestimate the teen culture, especially if its marketed as a great twitter phone. Teens will flock to this in a second.
    Once again, I think this is more the audience for phones like the Sidekick and Rant. I work at a university and I see college and grad students with iPhones but I don't know of any junior/high school students with iPhones. Smartphones are big among the tech savvy youth but teens just can't afford the plans.

I think the biggest group now would be 20-35 year olds. That demographic is usually very savvy and has the income to justify a $200-400 phone and a $70-100/month plan. That demographic does not respond well to the same kind of marketing that teenagers do.
    Just because Apple is good at marketing doesn't mean that Palm shouldn't try to be as well.

Consumers won't like it if Palm simply copies the Apple 'There's an app for that' ads, so maybe this is the way to go.

On the other hand, I hope the forthcoming Palm ad actually shows off some of the Pre's features as well as nice shots of China.
    UK boy born and bred, usually proud of this, but rueing the fact that I won't be able to get my greasy mitts on one of these for months longer...
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdtalker View Post
    Amen. I'm sorry, it's true. Everyone is a teen once, but... C'mon, the real power users are people who use their phones for everything. Work as well as play.
    Come on, you serious?....
    I'm a teen and I use my Treo for everything except texting (I don't like texting that much)
    And yes, teens do have iPhones (I do and some of my high school friends do too). Now Neodorian knows someone in high school who has an iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardHowl View Post
    I don't think this is correct at all. I do not know a SINGLE teen that uses twitter. That being said, 50% of the college age kids I know (early twenties, close but a COMPLETELY different demographic) are on twitter.

Twitter is too simple for teens, not enough mind numbing sh!t going on to entertain them.
    The kind of teenagers Pre needs are the brilliant young programmers/developers who can create, exploit vulnerabilities (to find ways of securing), and share their skills with other developers
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRemorse View Post
    Twitter is too simple for teens, not enough mind numbing sh!t going on to entertain them.
    Don't be mean - I'm a teen!

From my point of view, teens have facebook status updates, which coupled with the home page view means they have an almost Twitter like functionality already - and I know people who update their status constantly, just like you would use a Twitter account.
    UK boy born and bred, usually proud of this, but rueing the fact that I won't be able to get my greasy mitts on one of these for months longer...
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    No one needs teenagers. Not even other teenagers.
    Amen to that.. Teens on phones annoy me to no end..
    I think it's safe to say Pre needs everyone on this one... or we may never see a Pre 2
    I really don't think that Palm needs to focus on any one demographic at all. The possibilities of the Pre will sell itself to all who it would be best for. Lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by northy014 View Post
    Don't be mean - I'm a teen!

From my point of view, teens have facebook status updates, which coupled with the home page view means they have an almost Twitter like functionality already - and I know people who update their status constantly, just like you would use a Twitter account.
    It was only a few years ago when I was a teen, but trust me, you'll look back and be thinking how foolish you were.
    the Pre is too good for teenagers. they don't deserve it.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRemorse View Post
    I don't think this is correct at all. I do not know a SINGLE teen that uses twitter. That being said, 50% of the college age kids I know (early twenties, close but a COMPLETELY different demographic) are on twitter.

I agree... I have 4 teenage/early 20's nieces and nephews, none of them get or use twitter.

Teens and College Students Ignoring Twitter.
    Wow you guys act like you've bever been teenagers before. I'm 16 and I want the pre. Just because we aren't old like you doesn't mean we can't be technologically savvy.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast