Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    "When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished by how much he'd learned in seven years."

- Mark Twain.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Why Today's Youth Is Garbage - Mr. Mafioso

Problem #1: They're mentally weak
    Problem #2: They blame the older generation
    Problem #3: They have no motivation and ambition
    Problem #4: They're a "Me & Now" generation
    Problem #5: They're a society of victims
    Problem #6: They have no respect for authority
    Problem #7: They're welfare recipients
    Problem #8: They have no etiquette
    Problem #9: They like crappy music
    I think this transcends 'youth' though. This applies to pretty much most people under 35.

On topic:

The pre does not need teens to buy it. They don't need to water down their image. What the need to do is make it a really sleek, elegant phone, and make sure it's perceived that way. Kids will want what everyone else has, 'look at me' type of thing. So sell it in mass to adults/technophiles/professionals, and they will jump on board if mommy and daddy buy it for them.

It's worked for apple for years. Have they ever advertised to teens? No. Do kids want an iPhone. Yes. Of course there are other phones they want as much that are not an iPhone that ARE marketed towards teens, I am just making a generalization.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    It's the college students and older who are buying iPhones and Blackberries.
    A number of posters have made similar comments about the iPhone selling to college students & older. I work w/many kids (9th grade & up) who have iPhones. It's not the predominant phone, but kids that age have them.

Whether the parents paid for it or if the kids saved up & bought it, I don't know--especially w/limited family plans offered by AT&T for the iphone--but they have them. I travel a lot & see plenty of kids w/the iPhone & iTouch playing games the entire flight.

I don't see the big deal--if the Pre can be afforded by the family (the Sprint Plans only $19.99 for extra phones lines 3-5)...

These kids may be the developers of the next operating system or designing that perfect alarm clock app we old people need to wake to.

I do not own Palm stock...Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    A number of posters have made similar comments about the iPhone selling to college students & older. I work w/many kids (9th grade & up) who have iPhones. It's not the predominant phone, but kids that age have them.

Whether the parents paid for it or if the kids saved up & bought it, I don't know--especially w/limited family plans offered by AT&T for the iphone--but they have them. I travel a lot & see plenty of kids w/the iPhone & iTouch playing games the entire flight.

I don't see the big deal--if the Pre can be afforded by the family (the Sprint Plans only $19.99 for extra phones lines 3-5)...

These kids may be the developers of the next operating system or designing that perfect alarm clock app we old people need to wake to.

I do not own Palm stock...Cheers
    There will be an alarm app shipped with the phone, sorry

They won't be writing software because they don't realize how cool the phone is. It's just a new toy.

Now if they bought it themselves, then maybe they would understand what a marvel it is. Most kids that have iPhones and what not could care less if some nerd programmed an amazing OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    Important point you brought up is "it's not the predominant phone." I'm not saying that teens don't have them. I see them around with iPhones but the predominant buyers of smartphones are college students and older. You want to advertise towards the majority and not the minority.
    Last edited by EeZeEpEe; 06/03/2009 at 04:26 PM.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    If the Pre fits many songs on it, it will be a hit with them
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    True, but Apple has done quite well without cheapening their brand image with too many pop-culture references and one-hit-wonders. You'll never catch an iPhone ad with Lil Jon or Nickleback and for good reason. Things like that will date an ad campaign once the fad has passed or they will turn off other demographics.

If you want to give Apple credit for something, do it for marketing. They know how to make a device shiny, desirable, classy, and trendy by appealing to much more simple and minimal themes and imagery.

Think of all the youth marketing in the early 2000's where everything was "ExXXXtreme!!" and "In your face!" and rap-metal was the best soundtrack for anything and you couldn't sell anything to a young crowd unless it was ultra-caffeinated, endorsed by Jackass, and blasting Limp Bizkit.

Keep it simple and you'll hit that fat middle. Pander too much and you fall by the wayside.

Just my opinion.
    Did you miss the iPod ads?

Just as an example..
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Sprint and more importantly Palm need all the customers they can get! They can make the Pre look both trendy and useful, they dont have to pander.
    send all teenagers to the back of the line.
    Quote Originally Posted by nojok3 View Post
    Did you miss the iPod ads?

Just as an example..
    They are kinda clean and simple compared to this since they are all just a person where all you can really see is there profile and music playing. Have you seen this?

Nothing against the Zune because they also have pretty decent commercials like this one:

I prob would have a Zune if it would easily sync with my Mac.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234