Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jmack549 View Post
    This I can agree with, from the other perspective. My parents made me get a job as soon as I turned 16, and while I appreciate how much it made me grow, I missed SO many experiences me friends got to have. When you're that age, things happen so spontaneously, and it's impossible to be spontaneous when you have to be somewhere in a few hours, or have to be up early in the morning.
    Well, not everyone can afford to just hang out and be spontaneous. Consider yourself lucky if you can. Anyway, there are part time jobs that are hardly the worst thing for a teen. I had some of the best times in my teen years alternately working and goofing off with other kids at part time jobs. It helped pay for the things I wanted but didn't really need and taught me how to handle work.

This thread is getting way off topic. I guess it's what happens when there's only so much to talk about regarding an unreleased phone
    I agree with the original poster Mecca. Part of any products success is TOTAL UNITS SOLD.

The Pre is not too good for a teenager. Its a feature rich phone for ANYBODY who can afford one. The teenage demographic is a large one. I think Palm priced the Pre just right. Its in the same ball park as the iPhone and iPod touch. And we know millions of teenagers own them. I just wish Palm would loose/drop the $100 rebate on the Pre. The iPhone/iTouch doesn't have a rebate.

What will keep teenagers from the Pre is the contractual 2 year commitment on the Pre. We all know that the adults/parents hold the responsibility of the phone bill. The kids are beneficiaries of the parents phone contracts.

If the family has a phone contact that is coming due or out of contract, (and they have a comprable "whole mean deal" contract, they should strongly consider Sprints Everything plan because you truly get the most for the money) they should switch to Sprint. I think for now and through this year, the Pre is the phone to beat.

The trick is creating the image for the Pre. Popularity. Techincal advantages. Sex appeal.
    Features. Call reliability/quality etc. That's what what is going to make the Pre a success.

As for us that are past out teenage years and love high tech gadgets, we know we're gonna get one.

I can't wait till Saturday.

And I wish Palm and Sprint well.
    Unfortunately I don't agree. I think teenagers need devices like the iPhone that are media-centric and simple. I think the Pre overlaps with the iPhone market somewhat, but for the most part it is an entirely different type of device. The Pre is more serious and I'm glad for it. Teenagers are great, but I really think the ideal target group is the 18-35 bracket. I think it's for people who are on their own, but not quite settled down yet. The Pre might be for the really geeky teens, but not your average ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by dsjr2006 View Post
    Unfortunately I don't agree. I think teenagers need devices like the iPhone that are media-centric and simple. I think the Pre overlaps with the iPhone market somewhat, but for the most part it is an entirely different type of device. The Pre is more serious and I'm glad for it. Teenagers are great, but I really think the ideal target group is the 18-35 bracket. I think it's for people who are on their own, but not quite settled down yet. The Pre might be for the really geeky teens, but not your average ones.
    I agree with you. The Pre has many new features. The Pre is not for all teenagers. My teenagers have the new Inspire s30 and Rant. But they do because of cost. I had a $$$ limit on what I wanted to spend on them. Also because at the time the Pre wasn't available and price was unknown. I was assuming the Pre was going to come in at $399 like Sprints Diamond Touch/Pro. That was gonna be way over what I'd spend on my kids phone.

If the Pre were priced @ +/-$129....without a doubt, I'd get them each a Pre. Its design/concept is not beyond a teens comprehension.

But bottom line, I was responding to this thread as "Pre needs teenagers".
    Sprint/Palm can use any help they can from ANYBODY. Including teenagers if they can afford it themselves or convince their parents.

I wish Sprint and Palm success.

Sprint, if you're reading this, please DROP the rebate!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsjr2006 View Post
    Totally agree with the age range. It's the college students and older who are buying iPhones and Blackberries. After high school most of them look for something more than a Sidekick, Rant, etc. can offer.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by calsccr9 View Post
    Wow you guys act like you've bever been teenagers before. I'm 16 and I want the pre. Just because we aren't old like you doesn't mean we can't be technologically savvy.
    Now we're talking! I'm a junior in high school and I'm more tech savvy than college people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    the Pre is too good for teenagers. they don't deserve it.
    Hey! I'm a teenager and I think I deserve it! The Pre should make organizing my clients much nicer than my iPhone.
    The point is not that some teens can't or shouldn't use it but that most won't and I really doubt the average teen is at home browsing Pre forums right now. Sorry to say but you teenagers that replied are geeks. Nothing wrong with that, I'm 20 and I am too secretly. I was referring to target audience and the Pre is much more advanced than most any teenager needs, not saying it wouldn't be useful, but IMO that's what phones like the Voyager and Sidekick are for. They are feature phones that do more than the average teen needs and they are reasonably priced and aimed at that market.
    Quote Originally Posted by calsccr9 View Post
    Wow you guys act like you've bever been teenagers before. I'm 16 and I want the pre. Just because we aren't old like you doesn't mean we can't be technologically savvy.
    yes it does!!! oh and how dare you try to use and ADULT word like "technologically"?!?!
    Sincerely,

Dwight Shrute
    Thinking back to when I was a teenage nerd/jock, it would've been really nice to have a Pre to keep track of project deadlines, exams, game times and locations (map features), college entrance exam dates, diet/workout schedules etc etc. I would've definitely found great uses for the Pre calendar and location based services.
    9 year olds around my parts are getting phones in the fall and all getting itouch's as gifts. iphone is making way into middle school right now with some theft issues to overcome it seems. not aware of hs scene but i assume many hs kids have em. no one in this age category has the pre on their radar, so i agree with the op... time will tell and aps are EVERYTHING in this age group apparently... and SE plan cost is a possible entry barrier imho...
    ETUTREO300
    When I see people talking about price it always makes me chuckle a little bit, deep down, because in the UK, a top of the range plan, pretty much the most expensive one anyone gets is 45, which is $75 - it's a 2 year plan, or for an 18 month plan (BTW I'm talking iPhone 16GB in particular here, but its similar for Storm, G1, Magic etc) you only have to pay an extra 55 - $91.

So for the same phone as you guys across the pond will be getting for $200 + $100/month minimum contract for 18-24 months, ($2000/$2600) we'll get for $1440/$1800. So there's a pretty huge difference, as you can see. Oh, and this is, as I say, an EXPENSIVE contract, as I can pretty easily get a 35/month one with pretty much the same minutes, texting and free data.

Therefore, when I talk about getting the Pre, I'm in a different boat than the rest of you .
    UK boy born and bred, usually proud of this, but rueing the fact that I won't be able to get my greasy mitts on one of these for months longer...
    Quote Originally Posted by Soorma View Post
    Now we're talking! I'm a junior in high school and I'm more tech savvy than college people.
    No you're not......... You just think you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by kilofoxtrot View Post
    No you're not......... You just think you are.
    I spend a good deal of time around college students, and chances are he probably is.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    I spend a good deal of time around college students, and chances are he probably is.
    based on? You obviously have met this kid to make a claim like that.

Try going to an engineering school.
    Why Today's Youth Is Garbage - Mr. Mafioso

Problem #1: They're mentally weak
    Problem #2: They blame the older generation
    Problem #3: They have no motivation and ambition
    Problem #4: They're a "Me & Now" generation
    Problem #5: They're a society of victims
    Problem #6: They have no respect for authority
    Problem #7: They're welfare recipients
    Problem #8: They have no etiquette
    Problem #9: They like crappy music
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    The idea of my post is to express what I see out in the street. We all know the Pre is being marketed to the masses (maybe not I.T. departments), but I see a huge opportunity with the teens. I see the comments about them not having money and so forth, but if you see the expensive phones they are walking around with........If their parents are buying them google, Iphones, blackberries and so on.......They can and will buy their kid a Pre as well. Look out there and see the opportunity. My two teens both have google phones and now want a Pre. It would be nice to walk down the street or ride the train to work and see all of these people on Pres. That means success and more aps to top. I want this to be a phone everyone has so that developers will make more aps available.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRemorse View Post
    based on? You obviously have met this kid to make a claim like that.

Try going to an engineering school.
    Based on my experiences and the fact that he's posting here (which is indicative of a higher level of technical knowledge, it's not a guarantee, but it is a safe bet). And then try going over to the art school across campus. As a whole, college students are generally knowledgable enough to use the basic capabilities of their technology, but if something breaks they're more or less hosed.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Soorma View Post
    That's pretty broad. I am majoring in wireless engineering and work in IT. Not saying I know a ton, but you sure did shoot me down pretty quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    Based on my experiences and the fact that he's posting here (which is indicative of a higher level of technical knowledge, it's not a guarantee, but it is a safe bet). And then try going over to the art school across campus. As a whole, college students are generally knowledgable enough to use the basic capabilities of their technology, but if something breaks they're more or less hosed.
    Sweeping generalizations are rarely true.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast