Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by calsccr9 View Post
    Wow you guys act like you've bever been teenagers before. I'm 16 and I want the pre. Just because we aren't old like you doesn't mean we can't be technologically savvy.
    Couldn't agree more. Your average Pre-wanting teen is likely to be a little more technologically savvy, and one would hope more mature, than most 'teens with phones'.

It's a bit pedantic of you guys, I think, to lump all teens into one basket. Why is a teenager on a phone any different from a businessman whose Blackberry is always on, always going off, and being checked - they're both as annoying as each other!
    UK boy born and bred, usually proud of this, but rueing the fact that I won't be able to get my greasy mitts on one of these for months longer...
    Just because we aren't old like you doesn't mean we can't be technologically savvy.
    Thanks for that.

Many older ones lack techy skills.
    I can't even program a DVD Player.
    Just call me Berd.
    My point isn't that teens won't want the device. It is just that what marketing people do when they are targeting "teens" is usually ridiculous. They pander and they talk down. I would imagine that forum members here 18 and under already have an interest in this tech and don't need teen-centric advertising to be interested.

I'm not trying to talk down or anything like that. I'm only 32 and still a whipper snapper to plenty of my coworkers, friends, and fam. I just see some of the abominations created in the name of "youth marketing" and am of the opinion that concentrating on the flash-in-the-pan nature of youth culture may hurt the image of the device and the brand.

Sure, focusing on Facebook is great. People in all age ranges use that service. 16 year olds use it, I use it, and (as of last week) my girlfriend's mom uses it. That's the kind of marketing I think will appeal to everyone.

They are going for a crossover success here and I just think that overall it's not smart to go too market-specific. Campaigns to target a specific demographic often come off as shallow and pandering rather than classy and confident. That's what Palm needs to stick with. Show people that the device is great for all sorts of things and looks great and they will have a winner.

edit: but seriously, how do 16 and 17 year olds afford iphone plans? I wish I had that kind of cash before I was even old enough to vote
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I guess I fall into the teen category. Although, I tend to use my phone more for business than for "normal" teen stuff. I use my Voyager (Worst. Bluetooth. Ever) every day for web design and forum moderation. While I don't post on twitter, I do have an account and follow certain subjects (mainly NBR, DTR, AMD, Intel, and a few random people), but for me, AIM is still the main mode of communication. Except for the fact that Verizon uses text messages for the AIM app. Esp. when you get hit by $100 dollars in overages. For just being signed in.

Simply put, I'm one of those teens that prefers an Omega over a Rolex, a Thinkpad (T400 FTW) over _everything_, and a Pinto over any ricer.

Which is why the Pre is so appealing.
    I personally can't afford the plan alone obviously, that's what parents are for haha.
    Palm shouldn't chase market demographics. Build a quality device and the masses will come. Palm has done well in concentrating on what many look for now in a smartphone - decent design, touch interface browsing, email, messaging, calendar.

Palm needs to continue eveolve its offerings.

In the UK a lot of the Surgeons carry Iphones for the simple reason they keep their music on it and bring in some portable speakers for operations.

The older generation Surgeons prefer the BBerries but some don't like tech and use a simple Nokia phone.

None of them care what CPU it runs or O/s they want it to do what they want simple and quick.

Lets face it Apple success is a great deal due to its ability to remove the complexity of technology. We can all drive cars - steering wheel, brake, accelerator, yet how many know or care how the engine works? The way we interact with the car removes us from its complexities - this is what Palm should always aim at.
    I'm 19, and I'm getting the Pre day 1.

Let's not forget that Palm was behind the Centro, the super successful Centro that sold to all demographics, especially teens. Everyone's so worried, but they know what they're doing, they just do it differently.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I personally can't afford the plan alone obviously, that's what parents are for haha.
    amen to that
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardHowl View Post
    I agree with the OP. Never underestimate the teen culture, especially if its marketed as a great twitter phone. Teens will flock to this in a second.
    I agree also. Teens may not necessarily buy everything they want, but they do influence what their parents buy. I know a lot of people who's grand scheme for getting a new Mac, Wii, iPhone or trampoline is to convince mom and dad that they'd benefit from getting one. I've seen a bunch of iPhone kids standing around their iPhone family plan parents.
    This is exactly why.

I was going to say, how does a teen afford such a device. Not that hard if your 18 or so, but 16?

Then you go ahead and say that's what parents are for. that is NOT what parents are for.

Earn some money and buy it. How can you even appreciate anything if you don't buy it.

And how can you want mommy and daddy to buy you a new phone with an expensive plan, when people are losing their jobs left and right in this country.

Look, I am in my low 20s. I thought I was a really mature teen (and looking back I was in comparison to other teens) but you have no idea how immature you are until you have had some real life experiences.

Sorry for the rant, it just bugs me. I'll probably not post in this thread again.
    Have fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    I'm 19, and I'm getting the Pre day 1.

Let's not forget that Palm was behind the Centro, the super successful Centro that sold to all demographics, especially teens. Everyone's so worried, but they know what they're doing, they just do it differently.
    While technically a teen, There is a HUGE difference between 19 and 16
    kids are so spoiled today. it makes me sick.
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    I bought my 700p with my own money when i was 16. First kid at my school with a smartphone. A year later all my close friends and a ton of people have Treo's. Just because we are teens doesn't mean we don't deserve the latest tech. I think the Pre will hit the teen and college market pretty well. Anyone who thinks iPhones aren't in high school must not live in a very nice area...Pre's will make their way there.
    Phone: 700p > Pre
    PMP: Archos 605 (30GB) and iPod Touch (16GB)
    Lay off the teens. I am 25, still young, but when I look back on those years I don't think to myself how easy life was, or how "immature" I was... because I wasn't. I bet I knew more about technology when i was 16 then most people ever will.

Enjoy your Pre. Don't let these people lecture you, they've lost touch. And if your parents are able to throw in a few extra bucks for you to get one, good for you. That doesn't make you spoiled or anything else. Focus on learning/education about what's interesting to you, and doing the things you want to do, because later in life it becomes much more difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    Lay off the teens. I am 25, still young, but when I look back on those years I don't think to myself how easy life was, or how "immature" I was... because I wasn't. I bet I knew more about technology when i was 16 then most people ever will.

Enjoy your Pre. Don't let these people lecture you, they've lost touch. And if your parents are able to throw in a few extra bucks for you to get one, good for you. That doesn't make you spoiled or anything else. Focus on learning/education about what's interesting to you, and doing the things you want to do, because later in life it becomes much more difficult.
    Lost touch? I am younger than you! I was building and programming robots at 16. I now own a business making ancillary equipment for robotic cells. I know a thing or two about technology, and I have not 'lost touch'.

I just think that a teen should pay for his/her own phone. It's a privilege, not a right.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Wow you guys act like you've bever been teenagers before. I'm 16 and I want the pre. Just because we aren't old like you doesn't mean we can't be technologically savvy.
    Amen! I'm an old guy, but plan to get the Pre for my nephew (parents permitting) for his 17th birthday. He's so tech savvy, he is usually my first call when I need tech support.

People shouldn't forget that the teens are the business users of tomorrow.

Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRemorse View Post
    Lost touch? I am younger than you! I was building and programming robots at 16. I now own a business making ancillary equipment for robotic cells. I know a thing or two about technology, and I have not 'lost touch'.

I just think that a teen should pay for his/her own phone. It's a privilege, not a right.
    I remember my parents bugging me to get a job when I was in high school. Worst thing I could have done. I had so many amazing experiences that I would have never had time for if I was punching a clock everyday. I never worked a day in my life until I was 18, and I wouldn't go back and change anything. I don't think the people I knew in high school that had jobs are doing any better then me now.

If your business is working out for you and you are enjoying it, good for you. But I stand by what I said. I don't care how old you are or what you do, I think a preachy attitude about who is "spoiled" is a bit over the top.

I wasn't specifically directing my comments at you. I just wanted to let the younger people know that not everyone is against them in the forum.
    I remember my parents bugging me to get a job when I was in high school. Worst thing I could have done. I had so many amazing experiences that I would have never had time for if I was punching a clock everyday. I never worked a day in my life until I was 18, and I wouldn't go back and change anything. I don't think the people I knew in high school that had jobs are doing any better then me now.

If your business is working out for you and you are enjoying it, good for you. But I stand by what I said. I don't care how old you are or what you do, I think a preachy attitude about who is "spoiled" is a bit over the top.

I wasn't specifically directing my comments at you. I just wanted to let the younger people know that not everyone is against them in the forum.
    That's fine if you didn't have a job. I only did briefly (6 months at circuit city 'just what I needed' will for ever haunt me). But if you don't pay for it, why should it be handed to you? That's a choice you get to make.

I can see parents paying for some of it, but to just blindly buy the hot phone of the week for your child is a bit ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRemorse View Post
    That's fine if you didn't have a job. I only did briefly (6 months at circuit city 'just what I needed' will for ever haunt me). But if you don't pay for it, why should it be handed to you? That's a choice you get to make.

I can see parents paying for some of it, but to just blindly buy the hot phone of the week for your child is a bit ridiculous.
    Yeah, all my money went to gas, insurance, stuff I wanted, etc. I guess nowadays nobody buys CDs anymore so that must help. I spent a fortune on CDs and tapes back in school.

...and yeah, Circuit City pretty much ruined that song.
    I remember my parents bugging me to get a job when I was in high school. Worst thing I could have done. I had so many amazing experiences that I would have never had time for if I was punching a clock everyday.
    This I can agree with, from the other perspective. My parents made me get a job as soon as I turned 16, and while I appreciate how much it made me grow, I missed SO many experiences me friends got to have. When you're that age, things happen so spontaneously, and it's impossible to be spontaneous when you have to be somewhere in a few hours, or have to be up early in the morning.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast