Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 72
  1. buyrihn's Avatar
    Posts
    449 Posts
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
       #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by notabun View Post
    buyrihn, my only concern with the Pre is actually the screen size. Did you try out the browser? Did the screen seem small to you? What makes me feel better is knowing it has the same resolution as the iphone, so at least I should be able to SEE the same amount of info, just smaller in size.
    Yes, it did seem small. Rather, small-ish. But you can see entire websites, just like the iPhone. I actually read somewhere that the color depth of the Pre screen was better than the iPhone- not sure if that's true, but it's a great display. One thing I forgot to write about was zooming in while in the browser. Some people don't like it, apparently, but those people are on crack. The iPhone has a visible "zoom", while the Pre just instantly zooms, and it's absolutely fantastic. Quick load times, too. I normally load up the mobile version of Digg just because of load times, but the standard version loaded just as quickly on the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    Good writeup. I wish the stores I've visited were so helpful. So far they have either been friendly but tight-lipped or outright jerks who love going on about how important they are and how they can't let anyone see anything until the 6th or they will all be fired
    That's the same reaction I got from the 6 stores I talked to. The closest Sprint corporate store to me is about a mile away, but they were just straight up rude there. The one I went to today got my business, plain and simple.
  2. heavyt's Avatar
    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    Woot! I've been clamoring to get my hands on a Pre since it's announcement, and thanks to a tip I read here yesterday about finding the non-corporate Sprint stores in my area, I was able to get some alone time with the coveted device. I may start calling it "my precious", ...
    OK, let me carry it for you!!

    Nice job, quite informative post, thanks.
    Last edited by heavyt; 06/02/2009 at 05:44 PM.
  3. #23  
    Great review... Do you have any more pics by any chance?
  4. #24  
    Really happy to see that alarm clock. I basically got the same impression from the KB coming from the iPhone and I really want them to add the doube-space for period. I am so excited!
  5. buyrihn's Avatar
    Posts
    449 Posts
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
       #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by fry8 View Post
    Thanks for the review. Glad to see some of the concerns are unfounded. Could you explain how the dashboard is clumsy though?
    The time it takes from doing the "swipe down" gesture (to dismiss the dashboard) to actually seeing no dashboard takes a while. It's not nearly as slick as the swipe up gesture in terms of time. Additionally, there are indicators on the lower left and right of the screen while in dashboard view that indicate what page you're on, and whether you can scroll left or right to go to a different page, and it was a little awkward to see where you were. Also, scrolling to the top of a dashboard page wasn't just a simple flick, like it is to scroll on a webpage, for instance. I actually had to move the page down deliberately.

    It just seems a little awkward- not as smooth as the iPhone's springboard, for instance.
  6. walhalla's Avatar
    Posts
    53 Posts
    Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    #26  
    Great review. Good to hear that with that many apps/cards opened he didn't notice any slowdown.
    Can't wait til Saturday. I feel like a little kid waiting for mom to take me to the toy store.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    I actually read somewhere that the color depth of the Pre screen was better than the iPhone- not sure if that's true, but it's a great display.
    Yup. The Pre has a 24-bit display while the iPhone is supposedly 18-bit.

    Quote Originally Posted by dsjr2006 View Post
    Really happy to see that alarm clock. I basically got the same impression from the KB coming from the iPhone and I really want them to add the doube-space for period. I am so excited!
    I'm happy to see an alarm too. I didn't want to have to make an event in my calendar just to set a quick alarm.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

    Sprint customer since 2001
  8. buyrihn's Avatar
    Posts
    449 Posts
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
       #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by tntsniper View Post
    Great review... Do you have any more pics by any chance?
    No, sorry. I didn't want to seem obvious with it. The shutter sound on my iPhone was really soft, but still audible. The shutter sound on the Pre in comparison, was LOUD.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    One thing I forgot to write about was zooming in while in the browser. Some people don't like it, apparently, but those people are on crack. The iPhone has a visible "zoom", while the Pre just instantly zooms, and it's absolutely fantastic. Quick load times, too. I normally load up the mobile version of Digg just because of load times, but the standard version loaded just as quickly on the Pre.
    Can you elaborate on this - are you talking about a "tap" to zoom, or a "pinch" to zoom in the browser? I'm seen both used in the vids, but also read some conflicting info in the forums about what the Pre browser actually uses.

    Great job on the Pre-view.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by bronxbomber View Post
    Can you elaborate on this - are you talking about a "tap" to zoom, or a "pinch" to zoom in the browser? I'm seen both used in the vids, but also read some conflicting info in the forums about what the Pre browser actually uses.
    Uh, it's been clear since day 1 that the Pre supports a double-tap smart zoom as well as the pinch to zoom.
  11. buyrihn's Avatar
    Posts
    449 Posts
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
       #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by bronxbomber View Post
    Can you elaborate on this - are you talking about a "tap" to zoom, or a "pinch" to zoom in the browser? I'm seen both used in the vids, but also read some conflicting info in the forums about what the Pre browser actually uses.

    Great job on the Pre-view.
    Sorry- I should've been more clear: When you double-tap to zoom in on the iPhone, you see a visible "zoom" animation. I would liken it to a warp speed animation, if that makes sense. When you double tap to zoom in on the Pre, the area where you tapped is instantly larger- there is no animation. I personally like it better.
  12. #32  
    I do miss the "space double-tap" to insert a space and a period, but I think I can adjust. I would prefer it if Palm added that functionality, however.
    Don't count on it. I am sure Apple has something like 40 patents just for that.


    I'm glad we can stop the alarm clock crybaby's once and for all. Good job!
  13. Stake's Avatar
    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    #33  
    I don't know if this has been asked by anyone yet:

    1) Does the proximity sensor work well when you're on a call? I hate my Touch Pro while I'm on a call because I can still hit the screen with my face and push necessary buttons.

    2) Does the Pre have a screen locking mechanism (a la iPhone) or is it done by the hardware switch?

    I can't wait to get mine!
  14. #34  
    The last picture shows how the screen is locked.
  15. buyrihn's Avatar
    Posts
    449 Posts
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
       #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Don't count on it. I am sure Apple has something like 40 patents just for that.


    I'm glad we can stop the alarm clock crybaby's once and for all. Good job!
    That shortcut was first seen on a Blackberry, if I'm not mistaken, and I don't believe there's a patent on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stake View Post
    I don't know if this has been asked by anyone yet:

    1) Does the proximity sensor work well when you're on a call? I hate my Touch Pro while I'm on a call because I can still hit the screen with my face and push necessary buttons.

    2) Does the Pre have a screen locking mechanism (a la iPhone) or is it done by the hardware switch?

    I can't wait to get mine!
    1) Don't know- couldn't make a call.
    2) To lock the iPhone screen, you press the top right button, and it's the same on the Pre.
  16. #36  
    i just scroll right down to say great job have not even read you post yet but in my books once you get to handle the pre early or have one under wraps great job again.
  17. fry8's Avatar
    Posts
    66 Posts
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    The time it takes from doing the "swipe down" gesture (to dismiss the dashboard) to actually seeing no dashboard takes a while. It's not nearly as slick as the swipe up gesture in terms of time. Additionally, there are indicators on the lower left and right of the screen while in dashboard view that indicate what page you're on, and whether you can scroll left or right to go to a different page, and it was a little awkward to see where you were. Also, scrolling to the top of a dashboard page wasn't just a simple flick, like it is to scroll on a webpage, for instance. I actually had to move the page down deliberately.

    It just seems a little awkward- not as smooth as the iPhone's springboard, for instance.
    Maybe it's just something you have to get used to. You can always organize your apps from left to right so that you don't have to scroll up or down, just side to side which might make it better.
  18. NBENZ's Avatar
    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    #38  
    Good review, thanks for posting this. This so far has been an exciting week with E3 going on and the pre launching.
  19. #39  
    nice review! excellent to see that there's an alarm clock app!

    i assume from your memo that there is no spell check or auto correct? or that it was off if so. that sucks.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    Woot! I've been clamoring to get my hands on a Pre since it's announcement, and thanks to a tip I read here yesterday about finding the non-corporate Sprint stores in my area, I was able to get some alone time with the coveted device. I may start calling it "my precious", so bear with me. Before I get to some of my impressions, let me just say that I've fallen in love- it's a joy to use, to look at, and to hold.
    <snip>
    very well written i like so much of the things you said eg, the cursed iphone has made it match- and feasted on palm videos like a vampire (me to) and we wouldn't be seeing any toddlers using the pre like an iphone on youtube as i said before very well written keep it up.
    Last edited by Derek Kessler; 06/02/2009 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Please don't quote the entire thing.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions