1.    #1  
    The original Palms products were designed around the "simplicity" and "unifying" principles of Zen. Anyone still around from those days, such as myself, will remember the old phrase, "The Zen of Palm". As the company evolved they seemed to forget this early inspiration for their products.

Today Palm with Pre is staging a rebirth of Palm Inc. and a return to the "Zen of Palm" philosophy and inspiration. Pre is designed to look "Organic". To me this is clear from the rounded design of the phone itself, to the formal demos where they seem to always have a river stone behind the phone being demoed (CES, All Things D), to the default ring tone which sounds like Budhist tubular bells.

Now, I don't know about anyone else, but when I think of the concepts Nature, harmony & simplicity... in my mind these trigger the concepts of "Zen" and "Budhism". And now these commercials which have been filmed in China, the part of the world, the eastern hemisphere, where Zen and Budhism originate.

Palm is building a theme around this phone and a new corporate image. A theme that permeates every aspect of the company and the phone: design, marketing and user experience. The "subliminal message", if you will, is "natural (or intiutive) simplicity". They want to say something along the lines of, "The Zen of Palm is back," or "Look at the new Zen of Palm."

Brilliant if they can manage to pull it off; rebuilding a brand is damn near an impossible feat.

Doesn't seem like anyone other than myself is feeling/seeing this theme though. Am I stretching here?
    They're not rebuilding, they're reloading..

They have definitely rebuilt the brand. No, I agree with you 100%. After seeing those videos on facebook the first thought I had was "Zen Garden", then I remembered the Zen of Palm. Palm had that in them since the Palm Vx, it got lost along the way. You can tell they went over every detail, design of the Pre, UI of Palm webOS, etc. it really shows how focused they are as a new company. The ex-Apple folks definitely brought some of that with them. It's definitely a new Palm.
    Jimmie Geddes
    I can see what you're saying, and there's something there. I do hope Palm doesn't get too New Age-ish, though. No John Tesh or Yanni, for example. Or yoga. I hate yoga. And no references to organic food, or veganism. I like meat!
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Rebuild/reload - does not matter - they are at the point of "redo or die".

I just wonder how they settled on the size. I like the overall shape and can imagine it will fit well in your hand or pocket. But for me (having not even seen one yet), a couple of more .10's of an inch in the screen would have been nice and I don't think it would have made that much difference. Hopefully the Pre will be enough of a success so we will see a few more versions and see where webOS can go.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I can see what you're saying, and there's something there. I do hope Palm doesn't get too New Age-ish, though. No John Tesh or Yanni, for example. Or yoga. I hate yoga. And no references to organic food, or veganism. I like meat!
    I think you're associating a lot of different things there. OP was referring more to the design elements of simplicity, calm, and minimalism.

No Enya here