1.    #1  
    I noticed that the Pre doesn't seem to support the photos that you have associated with your Outlook contacts. My touch diamond gets them just fine. On the Pre, I see the facebook photos, but not the exchange photos.

Has anyone else noticed this? Am I missing something?
    Last edited by SuperJason; 06/02/2009 at 04:03 PM. Reason: fixed misspelling
    Don't have a Pre to test on but that's too bad. I always liked how I would take photos on my phone and associate them with contacts. Then that photo would be updated on my Exchange account and whenever I send emails now, I see the photos in Outlook.
    What makes you think that? Do you have a Pre to try it out?

Although I don't know for certain (because I don't have a Pre yet), I have seen no evidence that the Pre doesn't sync photos through Exchange to Outlook. I see no reason to even suspect that it wouldn't.

What I have seen is an emphasis on demonstrating that contact pictures in Facebook can be brought to the phone through Synergy. That concept doesn't mean that pictures for contacts in Outlook/Exchange don't transfer.

After all, we already knew that pictures in Outlook/Exchange Contacts can be synced to a phone. That's not new in the industry. So I wouldn't expect it to be emphasized by Palm when discussing Synergy on the Pre.

I believe the Pre will support the photos the same as Exchange ActiveSync on every other phone does. What evidence have you seen to the contrary?
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Yep, what gadget said...
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
  5.    #5  
    Here's a screenshot from the emulator:
    img80.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nophotoexchange.png

I've checked dozens of contacts that have the photos associated. Sync'd multiple times, nothing. Just the facebook photos show up. None from Exchange (2007).
  6.    #6  
    I have a post awaiting moderation...

I took a screenshot. It's not working, no photos coming through exchange.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperJason View Post
    I have a post awaiting moderation...

I took a screenshot. It's not working, no photos coming through exchange.
    Do you have a Palm Pre in your possession that you are trying this on right now?
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Thanks to Jason:
    Just call me Berd.
    Hmmm, interesting. What I notice in the Pre's contact list is a "blank" photo icon versus a default "no photo" icon. That suggests to me that it recognizes that a photo exists, but for whatever reason is not showing it.

....and why didn't you tell us that you had a Pre? What's with holding out on us like that?
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    Hmmm, interesting. What I notice in the Pre's contact list is a "blank" photo icon versus a default "no photo" icon. That suggests to me that it recognizes that a photo exists, but for whatever reason is not showing it.

....and why didn't you tell us that you had a Pre? What's with holding out on us like that?
    Yeah, I noticed it's blank as well. I'm really hoping it's a bug, or an unfinished feature.

This is obviously just the emulator. I wasn't sure if I was even allowed to mention it. I haven't had time to read through the agreement because I've been busy working on the Pre version of simpletracking.com.
    Yeah, I noticed it's blank as well. I'm really hoping it's a bug, or an unfinished feature.

This is obviously just the emulator. I wasn't sure if I was even allowed to mention it. I haven't had time to read through the agreement because I've been busy working on the Pre version of simpletracking.com.
    Duh! I just realized it's the emulator. Well, perhaps it's an anomaly of the emulator. Let's hope so.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Google Contacts is going to be a big surprise for people because you won't realize how badly it sucks until you're forced to use it exclusively.

Contact photos don't sync on the Mac either so if you want photos on your Pre then youll need to fire up Photoshop and upload your 200 contact pics individually.

But another huge problem is the lack of fields for important info like Birthdays, Anniversary, Website etc. That one doesn't make sense considering it's a web app that could easily integrate those things into the GCal and link to sites.
    So not fair, teasing us like that.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Google Contacts is going to be a big surprise for people because you won't realize how badly it sucks until you're forced to use it exclusively.

Contact photos don't sync on the Mac either so if you want photos on your Pre then youll need to fire up Photoshop and upload your 200 contact pics individually.

But another huge problem is the lack of fields for important info like Birthdays, Anniversary, Website etc. That one doesn't make sense considering it's a web app that could easily integrate those things into the GCal and link to sites.
    So the Pre doesn't sync your Gmail contact pictures? I just spent a lot of time updating all of my contact photos on Gmail in preparation...
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post

I'm also new to GContacts, so I can't yet defend it's overall usability relative to Outlook, but some of what you said above isn't true... re: fields for bday, anniversary, etc... If you go to the standalone GContacts (http://www.google.com/contacts), these fields are available.

Also, I started a thread a few days ago about migrating these (BDay Anniversary) fields as well as Category (group) information from Outlook via .csv file. These fields migrate fine from Outlook. For some reason, the GMail-integrated view of GContacts doesn't show these fields or allow them to be edited (yet).

Back on topic, since I migrated via CSV, my Outlook photos clearly did not migrate to GContacts
    I think ***AT MINIMUM*** Palm should provide a method to sync ***EVERYTHING (data fields/Contact photos and all)*** from Palm's own Contact Manager & MS Outlook to the Pre. After all, the Pre is Palm's own evolution.

As for counting on Synergy to sync Contacts from Google, Twitter & the internet etc. that's all new and great. But that's just the evolution of software/hardware. Great because its a unique feature of the Pre, but Palm should provide for syncing Contact photos too!

I have a Treo 700p and will be upgrading to the Pre.

In preperation just like SirBC, I just put alot of work updating my Gmail Contacts to match my Treo. In order not to have duplicate or wrong contacts, I'm counting on directing the Pre to just sync Contacts ***ONLY*** from my Gmail account until I have a better understanding of how the Pre syncs from Facebook, Twitter etc. I hope Gmail Contact photos are sync'd too.

But what I really want to know about Synergy is HOW DOES THE PRE HAVE THE SMARTS to know which one of the many same names in the internet found on Facebook, Twitter, Google etc. to update on my Pre (phone).

I understand the Pre Synergy automatically updates your Contacts phone#/info if the information changes without telling you or something like that...right?

I just want to konw how the Pre differentiates between the right and wrong contact it finds on the internet.

Is there any news yet on whether or not Google contacts will migrate Outlook contact photos? Are they working on it, plan on working on it, or just don't care? Also questions about catagories for events to seperate work from personal etc. My Centro did alot more than this pre does in these regards.
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBC View Post
    So the Pre doesn't sync your Gmail contact pictures? I just spent a lot of time updating all of my contact photos on Gmail in preparation...
    the pre does sync ur photos from google contacts
    I noticed that the Pre doesn't seem to support the photos that you have associated with your Outlook contacts. My touch diamond gets them just fine. On the Pre, I see the facebook photos, but not the exchange photos.

Has anyone else noticed this? Am I missing something?
    I think from reading the other posts in the thread, that you are trying this from the emulator. If not, let me know and we'll see what we can do to troubleshoot.

Actually, Outlook contacts, when connected to Exchange, pushes the photos down to the Pre just fine. I stopped using Outlook/Exchange some time ago (I actually prefer Google Accounts) as my primary, but went back and tested to be sure.

My two grand-daughters used in the example are not normally on my Pre (no email, no phone numbers, but hey, they're only 3 and 6), but I added them from my laptop, to Outlook, sync'd with Exchange, and they pushed to my Pre just fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by maroot View Post
    But what I really want to know about Synergy is HOW DOES THE PRE HAVE THE SMARTS to know which one of the many same names in the internet found on Facebook, Twitter, Google etc. to update on my Pre (phone).

I understand the Pre Synergy automatically updates your Contacts phone#/info if the information changes without telling you or something like that...right?

I just want to konw how the Pre differentiates between the right and wrong contact it finds on the internet.

I think I understand your questions in this, and will try to help:

Synergy Smarts I'm doing this from memory, so some of the details may be wrong, but you'll get the gist of it. If the email address matches, and I think if the phone number matches (not so sure on that one), the Pre will assume they're the same user. If the Pre doesn't auto-link them, you always can. For instance, if you have a John Doe on Facebook, and a Jonny Doe in your Google Account, with different information (but you know they're the same guy), you can select an option that links them to the same account.

Right/Wrong Information
    The Pre doesn't try to decide which bit of information is right. If the Facebook Entry shows an email address of JDoe@domain.com and your Google entry shows the same person with JJDoe@domain.com, it will list both addresses. When you send an email to the user, you will select the address you want it sent to.

Some accounts are 2 way sync, meaning you can edit them on your Pre, and the edits will go back to the source (Exchange and Google are examples), others are one-way sync, meaning you cannot change the information on the Pre and have it update the source, it must be changed at the source (Facebook is an example).