1.    #1  
    Where and who will you trust to give an unbiased review of the Palm Pre? Lets assume that we all agree the Dieter and the folks on this site will be one of the first ones we trust.

List of sites:

Engadget
    CNET
    NY Times
    WSJ
    PC World
    Gizmodo and Engadget (and gdgt) heads and tails above the rest as far as "media".
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    Where and who will you trust to give an unbiased review of the Palm Pre? Lets assume that we all agree the Dieter and the folks on this site will be one of the first ones we trust.

List of sites:

Engadget
    CNET
    NY Times
    WSJ
    PC World
    I would trust Bonnie Cha on CNet, and I would trust Josh Topolsky on Engadget. Not sure I put too much stock in what the major newpaper tech reviewers think, but their reviews are interesting because others trust them.

But I'm definitely most interested in Dieter's report since he knows the things we're interested in.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I'm not sure there's any such thing. We all bring our biases and preconceptions to everything we do. And even if we successfully avoid those, our views (and reviews) are going to reflect what's important to us, which may be different that what's important to you.

The best approach, IMHO, is to read as many as you can, and look for things that are pretty consistent from most of the reviewers. Then evaluate, for each plus or minus identified, how much that matters to you.

Cnet or Engadget may rant about the lack of categories in contacts, but that might not matter at all to you. Or they may not be bothered in the slightest by the lack of a Today screen, which could be your hot button.

Soak up as much information as you can, and then make your own decision, based on what's important to you.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  5.    #5  
    I'm not to crazy about Bonnie Cha review style but will be interested to hear her review. I also think Natali Del Conte from CNET will also have review out soon. I forgot about the gdgt guys, they are pretty good source of information.
    I always like hearing from Noah (Phonedog) and Bonnie (CNET).
    Pocketnow and Engadget are the ones I trust the most.
    But I will most likely read all the reviews I can find...even BGRs.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    People here usually like to read the review before they decide if they can trust it. If the review says bad things then they are biased and written by an iPhone fanboy or someone being paid by Apple. If it says good things then it's a solid, well-thought-out unbiased review.
    LOL. But you are absolutely right.
    Not Gizmodo or BGR. They are obsessed and bias to the iPhone. The LG Dare was torn apart because it was no iPhone...you know, because clearly LG was trying to kill the iPhone with it. It's not a smartphone and isn't pretending to be.
    Reviews are a moot point for me now. I've whipped myself into such a lather that only a major bomb being dropped and confirmed could possibly sway me.

Personally, I don't trust any of what I've read. Even a lot of the video stuff on YouTube is of an emulator, not an actual Pre. Rampant speculation, guesswork, and fanboy-ism are all I see out there. And dead people.
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    -1 on Bonnie Cha and CNET. Horrible IMO. CNET user reviews on the other hand are much more helpful.
    I like David Pogue. Big fan of Engadget, BGR, Gizmodo, Lifehacker, etc. I think you have to take everything they say and analyze it though. It's all good information even if they show bias because you still get to take the information and decide for yourself. IMO even the worst press is better than none.
    Quote Originally Posted by notabun View Post
    -1 on Bonnie Cha and CNET. Horrible IMO. CNET user reviews on the other hand are much more helpful.
    I personally don't like the user reviews on CNET at all because all I seem to find are a bunch of fanboys bashing other brands that they've never used. I prefer customer reviews on Amazon much more.
  14. DDD
    I would trust Chris Pirillo and Leo Leporte
    Also Known as 3_D
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    People here usually like to read the review before they decide if they can trust it. If the review says bad things then they are biased and written by an iPhone fanboy or someone being paid by Apple. If it says good things then it's a solid, well-thought-out unbiased review.
    You are missing the point, I meant based on prior reviews and stories from a site or person. Like Engadget has been hard on Palm in the past but I would still expect them to write a fair and balenced review.
    Pretty much the only review I'll trust is my own.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    AMEN!
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I would trust Bonnie Cha on CNet, and I would trust Josh Topolsky on Engadget. Not sure I put too much stock in what the major newpaper tech reviewers think, but their reviews are interesting because others trust them.

But I'm definitely most interested in Dieter's report since he knows the things we're interested in.
    with you TOTALLY on these 2 choices as they are always in-depth and unbiased. Bonnie always gives the pros and cons about EVERY device as well as things that you "might" like or dislike that could be an issue. Josh, well he does the same and well, he's just good ol' Josh at engadget!!
    Sincerely,

Dwight Shrute
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Amen +2.

With all the fanboyism it's tough to know who to trust. I've read too many reviews that either apologize for lacking features or slam it for imaginary omissions. A good, solid, honest review would be refreshing.